Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

timecover.jpg
TIME magazine today released its annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world, and two of the selections have ties to Apple: longtime design head Jonathan Ive and hedge funder David Einhorn who has pressed Apple to return more of its cash to shareholders.

Each selection is accompanied by an essay by another prominent personality or close associate outlining why the person qualifies for inclusion in the list. The essay on Ive is written by U2 frontman Bono, who has long had ties to Apple.
Jony Ive is himself classic Apple. Brushed steel, polished glass hardware, complicated software honed to simplicity. His genius is not just his ability to see what others cannot but also how he applies it. To watch him with his workmates in the holy of holies, Apple's design lab, or on a night out is to observe a very rare esprit de corps. They love their boss, and he loves them. What the competitors don't seem to understand is you cannot get people this smart to work this hard just for money. Jony is Obi-Wan.
Samsung CEO Oh-Hyun Kwon is also featured, with his essay written by one-time Apple CEO John Sculley. A number of other tech luminaries are listed, including Instagram co-founder Kevin Systrom, Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg, and Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer.

TIME's 2013 list of the world's most influential people is the magazine's cover story for next week's issue and highlights representatives in five different categories: Titans, Leaders, Artists, Pioneers and Icons.

Article Link: Jony Ive and David Einhorn Named to TIME's List of 100 Most Influential People

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
clicked the source link to see the list... didn't see the list.

who cares.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Jony, you are the man! Please help me fall in love with Apple all over again. Please revamp iOS in new, and exciting ways!

brianc34

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Any teachers, nurses, librarians on this list? Bet they are way more influential than some iphone designer. What has he influenced? Maybe he influences samsung to make copycat phones, but that's not real creation. I think influential people influence people to CREATE for the common good.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
I would bet

That if Ive was named as apple figurehead the stocks wouldn't have tanked. Stock-market has no real effect on a company with almost 1/4 of a trillion dollars sitting in bank accounts that would not effect the company bottom line at all if it disappeared. At this point apple could pull a Michael Dell and buy back all of its stock and function on sales and profits alone and not change a single thing business wise. Stocks tanked because someone wanted to make some money artificially manipulating the prices. Media picks up on it and does all the legwork. free money for people who game the market.

Night-Mist

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2013
Maybe he influences samsung to make copycat phones, but that's not real creation.
Helping to create a product that others want to copy (or "derive inspiration from") is not creating?

I think influential people influence people to CREATE for the common good.
That would be nice, but that's not how the world works. Influential does not mean "morally proper"... a lot of influential people aren't the best, it just means they're recognized to have affected a broad amount of others.

In North Korea, Kim Jong Un is influential (and in fact, he influences actions & reactions throughout the world...), though I certainly wouldn't say he creates common good.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Listed under Artists

Good to see Time has such good taste.

Listed in order of importance from the list. That's just too funny.
Jennifer Lawrence and Christina Aguilera are ahead of him.

It's a wonder the stock is tanking.

Jennifer Lawrence
Christina Aguilera
Steven Spielberg
Jonathan Ive

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Any teachers, nurses, librarians on this list? Bet they are way more influential than some iphone designer. What has he influenced? Maybe he influences samsung to make copycat phones, but that's not real creation. I think influential people influence people to CREATE for the common good.

You said it better than I could. I'm too disgusted with how everything is about money and popularity.

Influential? How about sociologically useful?

----------

Instagram founder? Really? Why not add the Farmville creator too.

:rolleyes:

Hah hah... Exactly.

brianc34

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
That would be nice, but that's not how the world works. Influential does not mean "morally proper"... a lot of influential people aren't the best, it just means they're recognized to have affected a broad amount of others.

Why doesn't the world work this way? Because money is the norm? Let's change it. Let's make doing good for people the norm.

Last edited by a moderator:

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Sorry, but even being a fellow Brit, I just don't get it!

It's all very well making Ive out to be some sort of revolutionary genius, but let's be honest here, he's designed a handful of pretty products that, IMO, have since evolved negatively (I wince every time I see a gorgeous iPhone 3 and then remiss at what they did with the 4 and 5!) There hasn't been a new design within the apple stable for a number of years and opportunities to create something beautiful (like chinless iMacs, prettier iPod nano's or phones to match the design prowess of the old white iMac and iPhone 3). What exactly does Ive do all day.

Most importantly, ts all very well drawing a great looking product, but the real qudos should go to the engineers who actually build the things he draws ... Because as recent mocked images over the web have shown, designing something gorgeous is one thing, making it is another!

Sorry, but creepy video Ive just doesn't do it for me!

GregAndonian

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
Ever heard of Gil Amelio?

When I saw this I became curious, so I looked him up on Wikipedia- and while I was reading about him I came across this:

"During Amelio's tenure Apple's stock continued to slump and hit a 12-year low in Q2 1997 that was at least partially caused by a single sale of 1.5 million shares of Apple stock on June 26 by an anonymous party who was later confirmed to be Steve Jobs."

:eek::eek:

----------

(I wince every time I see a gorgeous iPhone 3 and then remiss at what they did with the 4 and 5!)

I agree- I don't like the sharp corners on the 4 and 5. The 3 was much more comfortable to hold. Of course, the 5 isn't as bad since it's thinner, and with a case on it it isn't as bad, but still...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.