Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
I have the Airplay button on my menubar which I would like to locate to the right corner of my menubar. However when I sometimes reboot my Mac or have it wake from sleep, it reverts to a location on the left of my icons and I have to relocate the icon again.

Anyway to anchor the AirPlay icon permanently???

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have the Airplay button on my menubar which I would like to locate to the right corner of my menubar. However when I sometimes reboot my Mac or have it wake from sleep, it reverts to a location on the left of my icons and I have to relocate the icon again.

The position of the icons somewhat relates to the order in which they're launched. AFAIK, there is no way to specify a default location for a particular icon.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
The position of the icons somewhat relates to the order in which they're launched. AFAIK, there is no way to specify a default location for a particular icon.

Not true. The locations of icons like your WiFi, battery, etc... can be anchored in a specified location.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Not true. The locations of icons like your WiFi, battery, etc... can be anchored in a specified location.
I said it somewhat depends on the launch order. Some icons, like those for Spotlight, fast user switching, clock, etc. end up in the same location. Others, if you remove them from the Menu Bar and add them back, they appear on the left side of the string of icons. As I said, there is no way I've ever heard of to anchor any/all icons in specific locations.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Try holding the command key and clicking and dragging the icons in the order you want.
I believe the OP knows how to do that, as indicated in their first post. What they're looking for is a way to anchor the icon so they don't have to drag it to the preferred location each time. I don't know of any method to achieve that.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Bartender will do what you want.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Bartender will do what you want.
I used Bartender for a while. I don't recall an option to set a particular location for any icon. You can hide icons in the Bartender dropdown menu, but the icons that remain on the Menu Bar cannot be anchored to specific locations.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I used Bartender for a while. I don't recall an option to set a particular location for any icon. You can hide icons in the Bartender dropdown menu, but the icons that remain on the Menu Bar cannot be anchored to specific locations.

They can.

From the Bartender web site that I linked...

5E4vjVf.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.