Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goldjacket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Kalamazoo
A couple months ago I disabled the SuperDrive on my MacBook 4,1 because I have a DVD stuck and it wouldn't stop reading it. I did this by moving the "IODVDStorageFamily.kext" and "IOCDStorageFamily.kext" files out of the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Now I want to copy the disk image from the DVD in the drive to a USB drive and to do this I need to reenable the SuperDrive. I put the .kext files back in the Extensions folder and rebooted, but nothing happens. I know that the drive reads the disk because it shows up when I boot into my Linux partition. Is there something I'm missing?

gregoryvwalters

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2013
any luck?

I'm having the same issue. Did you resolve yours somehow? I removed that file from extensions and put it somewhere else to disable my superdrive (I wanted to use an external drive...which it's still not recognizing). So I tried to re-enable the superdrive by placing the file back in extensions. No luck so far. I have a blank DVD in the superdrive and I can't even eject it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.