Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you switch to the low cost iphone?

• Yes

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 89 78.1%

• Total voters

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
If the speculated budget iphone came to fruition, would you buy it instead of the high end iphone 5/s when replacing your current iphone?

Me - definitely not

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I don't really understand. A low cost phone isn't really for existing iPhone users (or for the US for that matter). It's possible they won't even sell it in the US if/when it comes out. Perhaps they will, but even so, existing iPhone users aren't really the market.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
If the speculated budget iphone came to fruition, would you buy it instead of the high end iphone 5/s when replacing your current iphone?

Me - definitely not

I have a 4S, and when my contract runs out, I will be getting whatever is the low-cost model at the time, simply because my needs don't warrant a high-end phone.

I listen to music, check OmniFocus regularly, read email frequently, and keep my diary in Day One updated - these are my most common and frequent tasks. Just for that is already more than suitable for the 4S.

Of course, YMMV.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't really understand. A low cost phone isn't really for existing iPhone users (or for the US for that matter). It's possible they won't even sell it in the US if/when it comes out. Perhaps they will, but even so, existing iPhone users aren't really the market.

Pretty much this.

Not to mention, we have no idea what sacrifices have to be made in order to get said budget phone largely because we don't even know that is or isn't a real thing.

In my opinion this is a worthless poll until we know more (than the nothing we do know) about a phone that is less than vapor ware at this point.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If by cheaper it means a cheap plastic casing a-la Samsung then no way.

Don't worry, Apple is not going to ruin its premium brand image.

I predict if Apple ever makes a cheaper phone it won't be called an iPhone, it will be called a MacPhone or something.

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
I have a 4S, and when my contract runs out, I will be getting whatever is the low-cost model at the time, simply because my needs don't warrant a high-end phone.

I listen to music, check OmniFocus regularly, read email frequently, and keep my diary in Day One updated - these are my most common and frequent tasks. Just for that is already more than suitable for the 4S.

Of course, YMMV.

I think the low-cost iPhone will pretty much be a 4S with a 4" screen and Lightning connector. Outside of the new design and the latter two features I mentioned, everything else will be the same as the 4S; 8mp camera, A5 processor, 512MB ram, etc.

Wait a minute, did I just become an Apple analyst? :D

----------

I predict if Apple ever makes a cheaper phone it won't be called an iPhone, it will be called a MacPhone or something.

You'd be making a compelling argument if Apple had never made phones out of cheap plastic casings. But they have, so your point is moot.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think the low-cost iPhone will pretty much be a 4S with a 4" screen and Lightning connector. Outside of the new design and the latter two features I mentioned, everything else will be the same as the 4S; 8mp camera, A5 processor, 512MB ram, etc.

Wait a minute, did I just become an Apple analyst? :D

I would actually love a 4s (this includes the back glass though) with a larger screen. I would literally prefer that over my iPhone 5.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada

Even I think they won't call it iPhone and they should not,kind of like Samsung seperates it's Galaxy S and Note series from other cheaper models like grand etc.

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
I would actually love a 4s (this includes the back glass though) with a larger screen. I would literally prefer that over my iPhone 5.

I meant that I think it'll be a 4S in parts mostly. Similar to how the iPad mini is pretty much an iPad 2 internally but in a different casing. I imagine Apple might want to retain some consistency with having all 4" screen size devices with Lightning connectors, so the 4S design will be scrapped altogether. So basically an all-new design iPhone, but made with cheaper materials intended for the budget-minded folks who don't need the latest and greatest.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
if it has what I need why not? cheap doesn't mean crappy... you are to much influenced by marketing IMHO....

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Yes and NO :D
Depends on the specifications i guess. I only really use my phone (iP5) for texts, calls and Music and i'm sure the low cost version would cover my requirements.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
You'd be making a compelling argument if Apple had never made phones out of cheap plastic casings. But they have, so your point is moot.

If ur referring to the 3G, boy they did manage to made that plastic look good. But after the last 3 versions, going back to that would be a letdown. But I won't bet any $$, after all Cook is a an operation guy, am going to guess he won't go to the end of the world to make a phone "just right" a-la Jobs. He will leave the back side of the fence unpainted.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
If ur referring to the 3G, boy they did manage to made that plastic look good. But after the last 3 versions, going back to that would be a letdown. But I won't bet any $$, after all Cook is a an operation guy, am going to guess he won't go to the end of the world to make a phone "just right" a-la Jobs. He will leave the back side of the fence unpainted.

What's that's supposed to mean? Apple haven't released any sort of phone yet so reserve your judgment after you have seen it, many people said that the iPhone 4 & 5 looked ugly before it was released and they were wrong.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I will never change my iphone 5 for a plastic one, if I want plastic phone I will buy Samsung Galaxy S4 :D

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
No retina display on the low cost iPhone = no way, kinda like the 1st gen ipad mini. The retina display has spoiled me :eek:

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia

Existing iPhone users may not be the target market but of course their will be some current iPhone users who's needs will overlap. Many of us use the iPhone just for calls, texts, emails and web browsing.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

Asia is a current market for the low-cost iPhone and Europe will be a big market for the low-cost iPhone.

Asia is getting (economically) healthier and healthier, and what Apple needs to do right now is grabbing some market share. Than, in a few years, more and more Asians can afford the "premium" iPhone (currently iPhone 5).

In Europe, it seems like it is going the other way around: currently, there are still enough people who can buy the 'premium' iPhone (iPhone 5), but right now you're already seeing more and more folks heading to an iPhone 4S or iPhone 4.
If things continue as they do in Europe, than in a few years few people can afford the premium iPhone (currently iPhone 5).

In short: Asia, right now, is a great market for the low-cost iPhone. In the future, when economically the Asian market grows, the premium iPhone will get the upperhand.

Europe, right now, is a good to decent market for the premium iPhone. In the future, if Europe continues on this path and economically it goes downhill, the low-cost iPhone will get the upper-hand.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

This, I can't but think the low cost iPhone, if it will exist, will only be sold in developing counties. I doubt the US will ever see it.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
If you are sticking with a big carrier it doesn't really make sense to. You will save maybe $200 over the course of a 2 year contract since the budget iPhone would probably require the same data plans as the regular iPhone.

Probably if I was in the middle of a contract and broke my phone and had to pay full price for a replacement, I would consider replacing it with a "budget" model until I was eligible for an upgrade.

If I was going with a company like Straight Talk or another of the cheaper pre-paid options and in the market for a new phone, I would also consider a budget iPhone.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I don't really understand. A low cost phone isn't really for existing iPhone users.
Sure it is. Not for all but not everyone needs or wants the latest and greatest (and the associated price tag). Plenty are using older models so there is a market for a lower cost iPhone whether you and others can understand or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.