Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
We have 3 Apple TV's in the house. I use it to stream music to my home theater system from my iPad or iPhone. If any of my friends (all use Apple products) want to show me a YouTube video, they stream it up. I use "Beamer" application to stream Matroska HD video files to the Apple TV without having to spend hours decoding them. I use it to rent and watch movies and TV shows (last night I rented a couple TV shows). I also use it for Hulu Plus and Netflix.

Remote works perfectly for what it's needed. I've had an Apple remote since they've come out with them, and no, they don't break for "over clicking".

Stating it doesn't do much is your opinion, but a misguided one at that. I don't know what I would do without it. It's a companion device for other Apple devices, and it works well. There are also a ton of games out there that use AirPlay so you can play them on the TV and use the iPad or iPhone as a remote.

Learn it's capabilities, and you might see the light. :D

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
I use it to rent and watch movies and TV shows (last night I rented a couple TV shows). I also use it for Hulu Plus and Netflix.

Veering slightly off-topic here, but if I'm reading this correctly, do you mean you're renting TV shows from the iTunes Store? Has iTunes reintroduced TV show rentals? :confused: There are some shows that aren't available on Hulu Plus or Netflix that while I'd like to see, I'm not exactly keen on owning.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I LOVE the ability to stream Spotify to my aTV so I can listen to my music over my home theater. This alone to me makes the aTV worth having, as well as mirroring my iPad, even though my iPhone 5 looks better mirrored. Anyway, I think Apple is not trying with the aTV, and if they opened it up a little more, it would be an absolute steal at $99. Like if it had UV/VUDU streaming (which will likely never happen, seeing its a iTunes competitor), I would buy an additional 3 aTV's for my collection of over 1000 movies.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Hahaha, this just delivered today:

That stein looks nice from what I can see! :cool:

TS stop your whining if you don't like it return it. I have 80 movies and 3 TV shows, I use it everyday to watch movies and I airplay moviebox from my iPhone when I want to watch something current :)

dgr874

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
Texas
I have to add to this too. I just recently started playing around with the mirroring aspect of my iphone 5 and was blown away. I cant believe how easy it was to download the history app, look up Vikings full episodes and then mirror them to my big screen. The quality was even better than my cable tv. I used to run the whole HTPC thing with multiple xbox 360's through the house for tv. It worked, but it was a huge hassle. Now I just sit down on my couch, flip through the free full tv episodes on my iphone and play them from there with airplay. Im hooked for sure.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I would agree about the remote, I didn't like it at all. Too slow for navigating large lists, and because of the button design too easy to accidentally click the wrong button. Some things like that are tough to research.

Using the Remote app on the iPad, and listening to music via Home Sharing works a lot better, particularly if you have a large music library. I just wish I could use the same interface for browsing Netflix.

As for value though, IMO, it's fantastic. Even if you think of Airplay as "wireless HDMI", it's probably worth the price just as an adaptor. Add in Home Sharing and the other built-in apps and it's even better.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Alright, can we call this thread officially dead now? I think we have beaten it to death and the OP has never returned to even try to counter any position anyone else has (based on his activity has been back to MR, so he's specifically dodging this thread). His/her opinion is what it is. The rest of us have found the device to be fantastic, especially for only $99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.