Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Is it safe to say that iPhone is winning in the US but losing worldwide?

I think they are gaining everywhere faster than the industry except in Europe. So it depends on how you define "losing". They certainly sold less than Android worldwide last quarter, but Apple has never been about pure market share. And by profit-share they are crushing everybody (worldwide and in the USA).

I would say that Apple is "gaining" worldwide as they have been for years and that Apple is "leading" in the USA.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Is it safe to say that iPhone is winning in the US but losing worldwide?

It depends on what you mean by "winning"

In the US... land of subsidies... a top-of-the-line smartphone is $200 with contract. The phones don't really have to compete on price. You can walk out with a flagship phone and it only cost you $200.

Elsewhere in the world... where you have to buy a phone outright... it's a much different story.

India has over a billion people... and you can get an Android phone there for under $100 while an iPhone starts at $500. India is also a country where about 800 million people live on less than $2 a day... which explains why most people aren't racing to buy any $500 phones.

If you only have $100 to spend on a smartphone... you're gonna get an Android phone. It's only when you have at least $500 that you start to have a choice between Android and the iPhone.

And this is true in all countries that don't provide subsidies. It's no wonder why Android is the top seller.

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
This is why I don't own stocks of any kind. I just don't get it. Cirrus Logic puts out news that point to weak Apple sales, Wall Street: NOOOO, Apple is DOOOOMED, SELL, SELL, SELL, OMG OMG OMG! Verizon puts out news that point to strong Apple sales, Wall Street: Meh.

Seriously, even if Apple puts out a weak quarter, what is it Wall Street think is going to happen? They have a buttload of cash, and no debt. It's not like they'll go bankrupt overnight. They'll probably have earned at least another 10m$, yet Wall Street seem to think the company value should be drastically devaluated. I don't get it. Luckily, I have accepted that fact, otherwise I would have bought a bunch of shares at 500, which I at the time thought was ridiculously low...

HoopTrundler

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I love how people were so critical of buying the device at retail when it launched to keep unlimited data just 7 months ago, and now that T-Mobile is doing almost the same thing, its "revolutionary". LOL, riiiiiiiight.

That's different... With T-Mobile, you're not paying the full price up front.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Why would people pay more money to get less service? I just switched from Verizon to Sprint because they wouldn't grandfather in my unlimited data with an upgrade. Results: Sprint is just as good or better and no throttling! No more toggling airplane mode to reset to surf the web.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm surprised Verizon is getting so many customers when they are the MOST expensive option by far.

Is there any advantage to being on Verizon?

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Not everyone wants bigger phone?

I have an iPhone 5. If the 4S had the same tech inside of it as the 5 (Verizon LTE, faster processor, faster GPU) I would rather have it. I still think the 4 was the best looking, most durable iPhone ever made. My opinion.

----------

I'm surprised Verizon is getting so many customers when they are the MOST expensive option by far.

Is there any advantage to being on Verizon?

Much more saturated LTE nationwide.
Better coverage, nationwide.
Not AT&T

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
I have an iPhone 5. If the 4S had the same tech inside of it as the 5 (Verizon LTE, faster processor, faster GPU) I would rather have it. I still think the 4 was the best looking, most durable iPhone ever made. My opinion.

My wife would love an iphone 5 mini (i.e. same size as the 4s)

I feel the same way. I own an iPhone 5, but the 4/4S was perfect for my running shorts and small enough to fit in any pair of jeans. It's also not a burden to pull out quickly when needed (the 5 kinda is). This might be the reason why half of the iPhones sold were the 4/4S model.

fr33 loader

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
I love how people were so critical of buying the device at retail when it launched to keep unlimited data just 7 months ago, and now that T-Mobile is doing almost the same thing, its "revolutionary". LOL, riiiiiiiight.

I think the difference is that, in T-Mobile, your monthly due is lower if you paid/bring your own device. If you do get a subsidized phone, your monthly bill will go down as soon as you've paid off your new phone. In Verizon, you pay the same high monthly bill regardless if you're on contract or not and even if you brought/paid off your own phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.