Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crvntscndy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Texas , USA
So today as I was getting ready to go to the doctors I was getting ready in the restroom & my iPhone fell from my back pocket onto the toilet. The water was clean as I had not gone to the restroom. But it was fully submerged and I took it out right away but the screen turned white with flickering lights and I couldn't power it off so I held the power button and home screen button. I immediately put it in a bowl of rice and took out the sim card and protective plastics. But I'm afraid since the screen started flickering and turned white right away all this waiting is being useless. I've read around but no one mentions not being able to turn it off and having a flickering screen or anything, so have any of you gone through this? Or have any tips?

BTW, I have the extended applecare but I've used it once before and don't want to use my last incident if I can still get my iPhone to somewhat work.

Any input would be appreciated :(

BigEm

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Even if you manage to turn your phone on, i suggest you use your applecare+. That will give you peace of mind because you will never know the extent of damage the water has caused it. If it won't turn on, then no questions asked. ;)

Crvntscndy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Texas , USA
Even if you manage to turn your phone on, i suggest you use your applecare+. That will give you peace of mind because you will never know the extent of damage the water has caused it. If it won't turn on, then no questions asked. ;)

I know, but I was thinking if it would turn on and I could still text & make calls then I'd keep it until I would be close to an upgrade, but praying it does!

Thanks for the reply! :)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Good god. The phone has been out a mere six months and you've destroyed two of them?

Anyway, it sounds like its toast, based on what you said. I'd be shocked if it ever turns on, let alone sends texts and makes calls.

I can't Fathom wanting to deal with a gimpy phone for a number of months if I knew I had a $50 replacement available. Go for the $50 replacement, buy yourself a waterproof otter box, and move on with life.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Can we move these "I drop my phone in <insert your nasty place here>" posts to a forum of their own so I don't have to see them? :p

Good god. The phone has been out a mere six months and you've destroyed two of them?

LOL. Maybe it's parents' bought so no skin in the game.

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
my gf is just like this too.... ppl just don't care about their things.. she drops her iphone every few days....

i'm considering buying her a nokia..

I've had my iP5 since launch and I don't even use a case, no scratches or anything at all..

lbros360

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Alongside using the apple care to get a new phone, buy a waterproof case such as lifeproof which provides optimum protection with adding almost no bulk.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
You know, one can say the phone got dunked in some water, but can we please stop admitting that it was the toilette that it was dropped in. Far too many have done the dropped in toilette thing on this forum, and it makes me wonder who are these people that drop their iphone in a toilette ? :confused:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Agreed. It might work now, but problems could arise in the future.

Agreed, the OP should be more careful with his things.

You can be clumsy and you can be poor, being both is not advisable.

:D

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I see so many blokes using there phone in the toilet. Why? Just do your business, WASH YOUR HANDS and then use your phone. I capitalised wash your hands, because for every bloke I see using his phone I see 2 or 3 leave with out using the washbasin.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
I see so many blokes using there phone in the toilet. Why? Just do your business, WASH YOUR HANDS and then use your phone. I capitalised wash your hands, because for every bloke I see using his phone I see 2 or 3 leave with out using the washbasin.

In this case, it fell out of the back pocket. Just because OP had the phone in his pocket while in the bathroom, doesn't mean that he was going to use it there.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
In this case, it fell out of the back pocket. Just because OP had the phone in his pocket while in the bathroom, doesn't mean that he was going to use it there.

True. However back pockets are the pick pockets dream! Also not that secure by the sounds of it. I have never had a phone fall out of my front pocket. Also the most secure!

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
Back pocket?

You've got to be kidding me. That's asking for trouble. I've never put a phone in any back pocket. How the h*** do you sit down? No sympathy vote here.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Back pocket?

You've got to be kidding me. That's asking for trouble. I've never put a phone in any back pocket. How the h*** do you sit down? No sympathy vote here.

i put my phone in my back pocket and sit on it all the time. its not hurting the phone any and its no different than keeping a wallet in the back pocket

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.