Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I think you are right, there's a massive attack underway on servers globally, with a ton in the US targeted. More than 90,000 distinctive IP addresses are attempting to brute force admin credentials, and a quite a fair percentage succeeding.

From an Ars commenter "According to Matthew Prince - CEO of CloudFlare - the botnet can attempt 2 billion different password combinations in 1 hour."

Here's the link to the article --the comments are extremely interesting:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/04/huge-attack-on-wordpress-sites-could-spawn-never-before-seen-super-botnet/

This attack is slowing down the whole internet.

My company was hit the other week. I'm not pointing fingers but the created user accounts were in Chinese.

We all know how unhappy the Chinese government is with Apple so I think they could be behind it if it's a cyber attack.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Have been on the phone with Apple for several hours trying to figure it out.
Always think it's odd when I hear this. I mean really? I'm under the impression you've spent maybe five hours with tech support for this one problem?

dtuck90

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
I had a strange issue yesterday where iMessages from email addresses would only got to my iPad and Mac and not my iPhone. Not sure if it works today.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
My company was hit the other week. I'm not pointing fingers but the created user accounts were in Chinese.

We all know how unhappy the Chinese government is with Apple so I think they could be behind it if it's a cyber attack.

I don't think that Apple is their sole objective but it would be a huge coup to get control of some Apple servers for this massive "super botnet" they're trying to assemble. I read that US banks were under attack again, but they're probably not the only organizations, this attack is massive. They're also installing back doors, so it could be like that Chinese spy bot that was exposed recently which had been operating largely undetected for at least 4 years.

Anyway, I was seeing a lot of lag with various web sites for the past 3 days and some WordPress sites wouldn't load at all.

Some people were seeing Ukrainian IP's in their logs --but those could be spoofed as well. However, a major Ukrainian hacker was roped in by the FBI, Russian & Ukrainian police recently --it would be interesting if that initiated this proof-of-concept strike in retaliation.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Always think it's odd when I hear this. I mean really? I'm under the impression you've spent maybe five hours with tech support for this one problem?

About 3.5 hours between the two restores + restoring from backup, being transferred a few times, being called back and on hold time really added up. I started at like 5:30am time and didn't finish until almost 9am. Yes, not 5 hours, so technically not several, but still 3.5 hours is a long, long time to be on the phone for technically support.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
POS backend obviously.

Why would I trust iCloud documents in the cloud again?
Oh right, I don't.

Dayum, Apple. Fix your internet operations.
Google's penetrating your turf - design, whilst you're slacking getting internet operations working.

Oh and please: take data integrity a bit more serious. HFS+ is a subpar filesystem and an iMac with 32GB RAM should be able to run ZFS or another data integrity checking and fixing filesystem in the 21st century.
It's not all just nice new candy features that look pretty.

Not everyone connects to the same server.

Glassed Silver:mac

apple has been a failure since job's death...what more can we say?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.