Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new ChangeWave survey shows that consumers have a similar level of interest in buying a rumored Apple iWatch, as were interested in buying an Apple tablet just before the iPad was announced.

19% of respondents indicated they are 'very' or 'somewhat' likely to buy an iWatch, with current Apple product owners significantly more likely than others to want an iWatch.
The survey results show very strong consumer interest - with 5% of respondents saying they areVery Likely and 14% Somewhat Likely to buy an "iWatch" for themselves or someone else.

How does this level of interest compare to earlier Apple products before they were formally announced?

While there are no exact comparisons, here are the Apple "iWatch" results in relation to the ChangeWave pre-release findings for two earlier very successful Apple launches - a January 2010 survey on the original Apple Tablet and an August 2005 survey on the Apple Intel Mac.
NewImage11.png
Rumors about the iWatch have suggested the device will run a "full" version of iOS, rather than the simpler operating system seen on the iPod nano. Additionally, The New York Times claimed the watch would have a curved glass screen.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said last year that wearable devices were "an interesting area", though "the book hasn't been written on that yet."

Article Link: Survey Shows Pre-Launch Demand for Apple's iWatch on Par With iPad

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah, the current attitude seems generally consistent with the "why would I want that" feeling many people had prior the iPad before its launch.

And then of course that crowd went out to buy it at some point.

Many, many people are very bad at knowing what they want before they experience it. They draw too much of their opinion of what they've seen in the past, and less on their imagination of what is possible.

Last edited:

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
So the battery dies... and you just have an i#%*$@(iCrap), and not even a watch.

This iWatch will not even come close to the demand & market opportunity that the iPad ever had... report is bogussssssssss.

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
I frequently plan to buy products about which I:
  • know nothing about the price
  • know nothing about the looks
  • know nothing about the functionality
  • know nothing about the release date
Sign me up!

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Of course it will sell, the only difference this time is that other companies won't let them get a head start.

I don't think the companies *can* give them a head start, because they don't know what Apple will actually do with it. They also may not have access to patented tech that makes the functionality possible.

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
I recall being highly skeptical and even participated in the joking around about how the iPad is just an oversized iPod touch. Had no interest in it at all... that is, until I was in the store and used one. I bought one the next day. One of my favorite devices by far.

So far my feeling for this alleged iOS watch have been following the same trend. We shall see.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I frequently plan to buy products about which I:
  • know nothing about the price
  • know nothing about the looks
  • know nothing about the functionality
  • know nothing about the release date
Sign me up!
You joke, but I am legitimately pretty excited for this product.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
ChangeWave never called me and asked my opinion, so the whole survey is meaningless.

Please ignore this survey.

I would have told them I have no interest in the watch thingy...and that would have ended the whole issue.

I believe this issue is now settled!:rolleyes:

;) :D

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
We don't know the battery life would be. But if it runs iOS 6, then we might need preparing ourself for charging your watch every night. Now we have one more thing need to plugged in before we sleep

Since 1984

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
San Francisco
We'll have to wait and see...

Hopefully for Apple it will have to be significantly better than the last generation nano which has been a complete dog. (no offense meant to canines or their owners :) )

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
That :apple: logo is like gold. Tech blogs and nerds may hate Apple for their simplicity and closed sandbox, but everyone else loves it.

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
You joke, but I am legitimately pretty excited for this product.

That's fair to be excited.

I will be excited when I see ANY substantive evidence that this will actually be released and a glimmer of what it will be like. I've been excited for the incredible and amazing Apple TV experience that's been just over the horizon for 5 years and I'm still waiting.

Don't get me wrong--I appreciate that this site is geared toward rumors so unfounded articles are par the course. I just like it once we get to part leaks and tech specs rather than fanboi wet dreams.

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
I trust in Apple. They have so many talented people up and down the product delivery process that anything new they produce will be an amazing product. I remember thinking that the iPad was a ridiculous product and that no one would want it. Now I can't live without mine. If Apple does produce an iWatch, it will be unlike any of our expectations and completely wow us with the value it adds to our technical experience.

msimpson

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Survey? You want a survey?

How about a survey to find out if people are tired of stupid moronic surveys?

Survey takers are just slightly above lawyers, politicians, and TV evangelists on the "Hate Scale". But not by much.

iJays

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
So the battery dies... and you just have an i#%*$@(iCrap), and not even a watch.

This iWatch will not even come close to the demand & market opportunity that the iPad ever had... report is bogussssssssss.

And your ordinary watch does not run out of battery because it is automatic?

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
unisex

How will apple and others make this watch work for both men and women without making it too small? There is no way women will wear a big honkin watch and no way most men would want a tiny one. Will be interesting to see and I will purchase one immediately if its not too small.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.