Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An Apple Pop-Up Museum is set to open this weekend, at the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast in Atlanta. The museum will feature a look at Apple products throughout the years and will include several rare Apple and pre-Apple artifacts like the original Lisa and the Xerox Alto.

The museum is organized into a series of different rooms, with each different section dedicated to a different era in Apple's history.

20thanniversary.jpg
A rare 20th Anniversary Mac​
Steven Hackett of 512 Pixels posted a detailed preview tour of the museum earlier this month, pointing out several highlights along with tidbits from Lonnie Mimms, the man who created the Apple Pop-Up Museum.
If the Apple I is Genesis, then a little garage in Los Altos is Eden. The garage is recreated in Mimms' Apple Pop-Up Museum, with large prints of what the workstations looked like. In the middle of the room, on a white stand, under glass, is Mimms' Apple I.

The next two rooms down the hallway are a prime example of how simple -- yet powerful -- the displays in this exhibit are.

The first one is all about the Apple II -- the machine that launched Apple into its first giant wave of success. The room features the machine of course, but also the first Disk II and controller card. The back wall of the room is an art piece made of old disks, and on the wall hangs examples of Apple II logic boards and designs.
Hackett goes on to spotlight other early Apple products like the MacColby, an original 128k Macintosh that plays the first game ever made available for the system, and the ultra rare 20th Anniversary Mac. Hackett's account of the museum provides a fascinating overview of the contents of the museum for Apple enthusiasts who cannot make it to Georgia.

The Apple Pop-Up Museum will be open on Saturday, April 20 and Sunday, April 21 2013 and will take place at the Kings Market Shopping Center. Attendees will need to pay a $10 admission fee for a single day or $15 for both days.

Article Link: Atlanta Apple Pop-Up Museum to Open This Weekend

Garrod

Suspended
Nov 13, 2008
UK
Sadly that's a bit too far for my budget to stretch to travel that far. Now give me a pop-up book with that sort of stuff in and I'm sold!

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Are people really going to need TWO days for this? It's not Disney World.

"That iMac was exhausting, kids! Let's do the rest tomorrow!"

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Heading down there tomorrow :D Only about 45 minutes to an hour from where I live, so I'm lucky!

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
20thanniversary.jpg

Damn that thing is FUGLY! I take it that The Steve wasn't with the company when it was released? No wonder Apple couldn't survive without him.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
What's more interesting is that it is apart of the vintage computer festival. Which in all is interesting me some. I just hope it isn't just two or three guys bringing a couple of old computers and setting them up on tables in a parking lot.

The festival itself is supposedly going to have vendors. Here's hoping for an Apple IIe, Macintosh II and Commodore PET.

JSquare79

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2013
Meetup?

There is an Irish pub located right by the event. Old computers of all types and pints! What better way to spend a Sunday? :D

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
What's more interesting is that it is apart of the vintage computer festival. Which in all is interesting me some. I just hope it isn't just two or three guys bringing a couple of old computers and setting them up on tables in a parking lot.

Almost; this exhibit is set up in an old CompUSA.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
The "TAM" came out around a year before Steve "returned".

He gave the order for the remaining stock to be sold at/near to cost, as they hadn't sold very well (no doubt due to the $7,500 price tag for a machine comparable in specs to a $3,500 PowerMac 6500).

Oh and, the thing isn't ugly... It's gorgeous... and there's one sitting in my cupboard not 1m from where I'm sitting.

hotard96

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
Just left the exhibit. I thought it might just be a bus musuem or seversl tents. It was actually very well done. There were about a dozen different rooms with every apple item you could think of. It took us a couple hours. The VCF portion could have been better. More exhibits. More vendors. Get some vintage gaming included. But it was there first try. I am sure it will get better. I thought it was great that the event was hosted in an abandoned compusa. Kind of ironic.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

An Apple Pop-Up Museum is set to open this weekend, at the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast in Atlanta. The museum will feature a look at Apple products throughout the years and will include several rare Apple and pre-Apple artifacts like the original Lisa and the Xerox Alto.

The museum is organized into a series of different rooms, with each different section dedicated to a different era in Apple's history.

ImageA rare 20th Anniversary Mac​
Steven Hackett of 512 Pixels posted a detailed preview tour of the museum earlier this month, pointing out several highlights along with tidbits from Lonnie Mimms, the man who created the Apple Pop-Up Museum.Hackett goes on to spotlight other early Apple products like the MacColby, an original 128k Macintosh that plays the first game ever made available for the system, and the ultra rare 20th Anniversary Mac. Hackett's account of the museum provides a fascinating overview of the contents of the museum for Apple enthusiasts who cannot make it to Georgia.

The Apple Pop-Up Museum will be open on Saturday, April 20 and Sunday, April 21 2013 and will take place at the Kings Market Shopping Center. Attendees will need to pay a $10 admission fee for a single day or $15 for both days.

Article Link: Atlanta Apple Pop-Up Museum to Open This Weekend

That is so cool! I wish I was going to the exhibit. I wish Apple had a museum on their campus, however it would not fit with their forward thinking ideology. Maybe some day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.