Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
I got my iPhone 5 exchanged today at the Apple store and I was in the about settings and it had a strange model # NE491LL/A. I tarted doing a google search and nothing came up. Does anyone have any idea what this model number means?

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Man I just got a replacement I don't think I got the new tweaked version

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I got my iPhone 5 exchanged today at the Apple store and I was in the about settings and it had a strange model # NE491LL/A. I tarted doing a google search and nothing came up. Does anyone have any idea what this model number means?

Usually model starting with "N" means it is a refurbished model.

----------

Man I just got a replacement I don't think I got the new tweaked version

EDIT: you could be wrong, check the thread below...:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1569082/

Last edited:

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
This is the new tweaked A1428 that supports T-Mobile.

Thanks you are right, it's the new A1428 version. I get much better signal now even though I was already in a refarmed area!

ceevee

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
Did your original (before the exchange) model # start with MD or ME?

bcooln

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Florida
where did you get your iphone replace at? i want to get my iphone replace too, but i just don't know if my apple store has the new update version of A128 yet. i live in Tampa Florida

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
iPhone replacement has a strange model #

Did your original (before the exchange) model # start with MD or ME?

I believe it was MD, not sure though. I got it back it november

----------

where did you get your iphone replace at? i want to get my iphone replace too, but i just don't know if my apple store has the new update version of A128 yet. i live in Tampa Florida

Miami

When you go for the exchange make sure the last 4 digits of the serial are one of these

FH19
FH1C
FH1D
FH1F
FH1G
FH1H

Those are the ones that work on T-mobiles AWS network.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I'm going to get my phone exchanged because I'm having issues with it. Is the tweaked A1428 going to work better if I'm on AT&T? For some reason that's what I've gathered from reading this thread.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I'm going to get my phone exchanged because I'm having issues with it. Is the tweaked A1428 going to work better if I'm on AT&T? For some reason that's what I've gathered from reading this thread.

Has no affect on AT&T so I'm not sure where your reading....and what your reading....the buzz is all about tmobile and has nothing to do with AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.