Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

RadioShack has begun offering Mac accessories both online and at its retail stores. The electronics retailer has an existing partnership with Apple, having sold the iPhone, the iPad, and their accompanying accessories since 2010 and the iPod since 2005.

Mac products available on the RadioShack website include the Apple Wireless Keyboard, the Magic Mouse, and the Magic Trackpad. Items can be ordered online or purchased in a local store.

radioshack.jpg
At this point in time, it appears that RadioShack is limited to selling accessories, but an accessory deal could lead to the full line of Mac products at RadioShack stores in the future.

RadioShack currently offers computers from manufacturers like Hewlett-Packard, ASUS, and Toshiba. With more than 7,000 stores worldwide, the electronics retailer could represent a significant expansion of Apple's Mac distribution chain.

Apple recently struck a similar deal with Staples, allowing the office supply retailer to offer Apple products in the United States.

Thanks, Stephen!

Article Link: RadioShack Now Offering Mac Accessories

syavno

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2008
If Apple.com, Amazon, and just about every other electronics retailers can ship accessories anywhere in the USA for free.... why do we need ANOTHER retailer?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
If Apple.com, Amazon, and just about every other electronics retailers can ship accessories anywhere in the USA for free.... why do we need ANOTHER retailer?

Some people don't want to wait. Say your Magic Mouse or Trackpad broke, and there was a RadioShack or a Bestbuy nearby, would you rather pay for it on Amazon or Apple and have to wait possibly days depending what time you ordered, risk it getting lost in the mail? Or drive to the store and get it there and then?

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Convenient maybe, but at the cost of brand dilution and shopper experience.
:apple: Stores make :apple: Products look fantastic. If you see :apple: products in disarray in your typically disarrayed Radio Shack store you lose the :apple: Aura.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

Look on the bright side: It's a big step up from Wall*Mart.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
:apple: Stores make :apple: Products look fantastic. If you see :apple: products in disarray in your typically disarrayed Radio Shack store you lose the :apple: Aura.

yeah we remove it from target, best buy, and schools. let's make it only available at Apple Stores. Not near an Apple Store? Too bad, you'll have to drive/fly here to pick up a precious power brick.

----------

ohes noes, someone stole my macbook power brick. nearest best buy is 20-30 miles away, but there's a radio shack that's 1 mile away. DAY SAVED.

----------
anywho,
I would probably drive an extra few miles to avoid the awkward silence of walking into a Radio Shack.

Vermillion9494

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011

Are you aware that RadioShack already sells the iPhone? iPhone sales haven't exactly been nose-diving due to this increased access.

I've never understood this holier-than-thou mentality. What's wrong with people buying Apple products in RadioShack stores, stores that might actually be in their city??? Apple Stores aren't even in every state...

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Radio Shack... I remember buying high-quality products there... Top-notch AA batteries. This really isn't the sort of place that should be selling Apple products...

I didn't think they could go any lower than Fry's. Apparently I was wrong.

They're already selling iPhones at this pathetic excuse for a store. I just don't get it. I have never had a good experience at a Radio Shack when buying anything more complicated than a handful of batteries.

Last edited:

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
I used to get all kinds of "odd cabling" form Radio Shack. It's selection of "odd" was always better then anywhere else I could get to. If I walked into the Radio Shack I was likely to walk out with something "odd" but functional.

Now the closest one is many miles away and you just can't find "odd" at Best Buy. Even Fry's Electronics is a stretch. My "odd" these days now has to come from online venders.

The clerics never bothered me much because I'm... you guessed it "odd". Helps to look like surfy mountain man who also radiates uber geek waves. If I'm coming to buy "odd" for my "oddness" there is nothing you can say or do to pressure me into a different less "odd" purchase.

.... I miss the local Radio Shack. They really are "odd" places.

Hey, here's an idea. They should start selling Raspberry Pi kits. Because Bees!

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Wow! This is great news! Now I can't wait for Circuit City to begin carrying mac stuff!

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
In 1995, some guy standing outside of a Radio Shack signed me up for my first cellphone for just 1¢ and a contract, which i thought was pretty amazing at the time. Led eventually to the iPhone that I'm posting this with, but I never had any other use for the store.

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Hey, it's only 5 miles away, versus 15, for Best Buy, and 40 for Apple. I'll take it.

I think this is the answer to those who are wondering why Radio Shack is still in business; they seem to be everywhere. The town I grew up in currently has a population of 12,000, but even since I was a little kid (when of course the population was a few thousand less) it's always had a Shack. Meanwhile, there's never been a Best Buy or Fry's or Circuit City in the entire county, much less an Apple store; heck, even the Target (in the county seat, over 20 minutes away) only came in in the last five years or so.

I currently live in a much larger city, but where else are my parents going to go if they need a new mouse or coaxial cable on the quick?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I used to get all kinds of "odd cabling" form Radio Shack. It's selection of "odd" was always better then anywhere else I could get to. If I walked into the Radio Shack I was likely to walk out with something "odd" but functional.

Now the closest one is many miles away and you just can't find "odd" at Best Buy. Even Fry's Electronics is a stretch. My "odd" these days now has to come from online venders.

The clerics never bothered me much because I'm... you guessed it "odd". Helps to look like surfy mountain man who also radiates uber geek waves. If I'm coming to buy "odd" for my "oddness" there is nothing you can say or do to pressure me into a different less "odd" purchase.

.... I miss the local Radio Shack. They really are "odd" places.

Hey, here's an idea. They should start selling Raspberry Pi kits. Because Bees!

I worked at Radio Shack in college. We were taught that when odd people came in to look at the transistors and other odd parts, leave them alone. They know what they're looking for and don't want to be bothered.

Radio Shack did try to rebrand themselves as a place for makers/hackers a couple years ago. Not sure how that's going, but they do carry Arduino boards and RFID sensors now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.