Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickcage49

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Thailand
I was wondering if there is any utility that allows you to get a true Internet speed test? I've tried speedtest.net and other similar sites and I don't find them reliable.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was wondering if there is any utility that allows you to get a true Internet speed test? I've tried speedtest.net and other similar sites and I don't find them reliable.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.
What's not reliable about them? They work fine for most people.

nickcage49

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Thailand
You can't measure internet speed if you're offline. An internet connection is required, which is why online measurement tools work.

seems you looking since two years; it was your own thread :confused:

Whats wrong with speedtest.net ? Concider that speed of Internet vary lots during different times of a day.

I haven't found it reliable and network engineers I know agree.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Other options, but far more technical, could be iperf. To my understanding this would require to have a probe outside your internal network if of want to measure your WAN. You could ask a friend with a known fast connection to help. I use the them only internal.

External I use pfSense as router which gives me enough statistics, too. Have a look on those.

nickcage49

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Thailand
Other options, but far more technical, could be iperf. To my understanding this would require to have a probe outside your internal network if of want to measure your WAN. You could ask a friend with a known fast connection to help. I use the them only internal.

External I use pfSense as router which gives me enough statistics, too. Have a look on those.

Thanks so much! I will!

nickcage49

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Thailand
Hmmm

Not a stand alone app, but this site runs a speed test as a Java app and is accurate. Has some good QoS analysis as well.

I got:

403 FORBIDDEN!

Either the address you are accessing this site from has been banned for previous malicious behavior or the action you attempted is considered to be hostile to the proper functioning of this system.

The detected reason(s) you were blocked are:
Bothost / Fake ISP (HN-040).

Your IP, and Domain Name (if resolvable) has been logged to a local honeypot, along with the referring page (if any), QUERY, POST, User Agent, time of access, and date. Please either 1. Stop the bad behavior, or 2. Cease accessing this system.

The webmaster of this site has decided to provide you with an e-mail link to start a trouble ticket about this block.
Please do not change the beginning of the subject line, nor the preamble of the body text.

Click HERE to start a trouble ticket.
Your connection details:
Record #: 47445
Time: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 14:18:33 -0400
Running: 0.4.10a1
Host: cm-110-171-4-8.revip7.asianet.co.th
IP: 110.171.4.8
Stripped Query: name=ct-ca-qualitytest
Referer: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17169040
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_5) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.65 Safari/537.31
Reconstructed URL: http:// http://www.ispgeeks.com /wild/modules.php?name=CT-CA-QualityTest

Generated by ZB Block 0.4.10a1

nickcage49

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Thailand
Ok

I used the site before I posted the link and just tried it again and it works fine. Must be something up on your end or with your ISP. :confused:

Maybe email to site admin and ask what is up. It is a legit site.

OK, thanks!

----------

OK, thanks!

Take a look, the site appears to be gone. I really appreciate the suggestion, but there is no contact us or anything. Seems they have left us.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
OK, thanks!

----------

Take a look, the site appears to be gone. I really appreciate the suggestion, but there is no contact us or anything. Seems they have left us.

I just checked again. It is still there for me and works fine. Maybe they blocked your IP. :confused:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I just checked again. It is still there for me and works fine. Maybe they blocked your IP. :confused:
I went there too. It was there, but I was sort of concerned about using it because of all the warnings about it wanting to access Mac. Didn't figure it was worth the risk.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I went there too. It was there, but I was sort of concerned about using it because of all the warnings about it wanting to access Mac. Didn't figure it was worth the risk.

It uses Java to run the test and is asking permission to use Java is what you are seeing. This is why this site is more accurate and thorough than flash based speed test sites.

nickcage49

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Thailand
Funny

It uses Java to run the test and is asking permission to use Java is what you are seeing. This is why this site is more accurate and thorough than flash based speed test sites.

For some strange reason they must be blocking Thailand. I turned on my VPN and presto, there was the site.

Thanks so much guys!!! I really appreciate! I'll try it!

sngraphics

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Apologies for jumping in late on this thread.
I didn't think I needed to start a new seeing that I'm sort of looking for the same thing as the original poster but for different reasons.
I have been using speediest.net. Has worked fine for me.
Up until I Re-Istalled my OS and haven't installed Flash yet or Java for Safari (or enabled Java in Safari)
Sorry for the getting the terms wrong.
Either way I tried going to the site recommended by a poster here "http://www.ispgeeks.com" and I got the message "Java is required to view this applet".
And I tried speediest.net again but needs flash.

What I'm looking for is an App that can perform an internet speed test without having to install either Flash or Java?

If anyone can help out with this it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.