Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
I already have DiskTools Pro, Gemini, and CrossOver 12. I can do my own automation in Photoshop, and good ol' MacTubes is free and IMO the best.

I hate that they're "buying" sales with the MacBook Air giveaway. Isn't it supposed to be for charity?

How is CrossOver's performance? It was that app that got me interested enough to get the bundle.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Keep in mind, the Mac Blu-ray player app does not display menus! Your standard Blu-ray menu (for whatever reason) is not shown in the app. You are brought to a generic screen that lets you play the movie, go to a chapter, or go to 'other titles'.

While this is usually fine to play a film, if you're trying to find a bonus feature or something specific, you are left randomly clicking on 'other titles' and guessing the item you want to view depending on the length of the feature. Also, when you click on an 'other title' item, after that item is done, you aren't brought back to the generic menu. You must open the disc again, wait for the generic menu to load and the disc to spin-up, and make your selection again. This can be frustrating if you're searching for a certain bonus feature, etc.

I'm sure they have a good reason for not rendering the menus. I'm unsure if it's a technical issue or a licensing issue, but either way, it's something you should be aware of before purchasing the app. From what I've seen on their website, they don't even seem to mention this issue. But I'm still looking...

I'm happy enough with it, especially considering the price I paid. It works well on my 2011 iMac running Lion with an external BD-ROM drive connected via a cheap, but effective USB 2 to SATA adapter. :)

Last edited:

shalliday

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Looks like a great deal. Too bad I recently purchased Gemini and Mac Blu-ray Player otherwise I would be in.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just a word of caution, I installed Houdahspot, not really knowing what it was. I then tried to uninstall it. What a nightmare. It puts stuff in your services, it installs a helper app that even though it is not in my user profile to start on login, it still does anyway.
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Alternatively you could use an uninstaller tool like AppZapper or CleanMyMac to remove these files when uninstalling HoudahSpot.
If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I already have DiskTools Pro, Gemini, and CrossOver 12. I can do my own automation in Photoshop, and good ol' MacTubes is free and IMO the best.

I hate that they're "buying" sales with the MacBook Air giveaway. Isn't it supposed to be for charity?

Sorry If I am confused by your statement but just because you already own the software are you implying that this is stupid for everyone else?

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Of course not!

Sorry I now know what you meant originally. I didn't know of the macbook air until I saw that you had to be the highest payer to be entered, I agree with you there that they are buying high money purchases and only giving 10% to charity. Sounds like a very profitable way of doing business to draw people in with good intentions that suit you better than what your main marketing point is.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Bundle Annoyance

Can somebody tell me why you have to have *Flash* in order to copy the license code?

I find that highly annoying. I have removed Flash from all my Mac's because, well, they are Mac's and Flash sucks...so after paying the suggested $49 for the bundle, and getting to the download page, there it is...I need Flash. WTF?

I liked the bundle, and as I said, paid full price, but I guess I have to download Flash, get my serials, and then delete it again. I guess I'm never doing another Stack Social bundle again...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Can somebody tell me why you have to have *Flash* in order to copy the license code?

I find that highly annoying. I have removed Flash from all my Mac's because, well, they are Mac's and Flash sucks...so after paying the suggested $49 for the bundle, and getting to the download page, there it is...I need Flash. WTF?

I liked the bundle, and as I said, paid full price, but I guess I have to download Flash, get my serials, and then delete it again. I guess I'm never doing another Stack Social bundle again...

They are using it so you can be able to copy and paste your serials. There are other ways to do that, so I don't get it either.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Yeah, I know that. But if you don't have Flash enabled, it doesn't even show up for whatever reason.

Oh, not sure about that but I use Click-to-Flash so I can see the button is flash but disabled but still can see the serial to copy.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Oh, not sure about that but I use Click-to-Flash so I can see the button is flash but disabled but still can see the serial to copy.

I just find it incredibly annoying that they have an idiotic method to do something so simple. They could have just put in in plain text.

If you don't have Flash installed (one of the biggest malware vectors out there), then you have to install it, just to accomplish a simple task of getting your serials. Why not just email them?

Using Flash in this manner is like the old Rube Goldberg mousetraps. There should be a prize for accomplishing simple tasks in most obtuse way possible.

----------

How is CrossOver's performance? It was that app that got me interested enough to get the bundle.

CrossOver works fairly well...when it works ;)

I have a flow for Windoze apps...first I try to install it using Wine. If that doesn't work, then I try CrossOver...then if that doesn't work, I'll go for Parallels or usually Bootcamp.

By way of example, I've had great luck installing late 90's/early 00's PC games using Wine (Gothic I, Terminus, and Planescape: Torment). However, in order to install Office 2010, Wine needed a hack that was beyond my capabilities, so I installed it using CrossOver, and so far, so good...I now have the PC versions of Word, Excel, and Access on my Mac, without having to boot up into Windows. Cool!

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
I like the idea of picking your own price, and I'm willing to more than double the $9.10 that's there now... What I don't like and don't want to do is give them access to my Facebook "friends" etc...

I hate it when I get looped in via email or some other method because somebody else "shared" their FB friends for a deal... That's a quick way to block or unfriend.

Am I the only one who has problem with this? I liked it, I shared it via my Twitter and posted the link to my FB timeline... I DO NOT want to give them any more access than this.

Again, am I the only one who has this issue? Is there a different way to purchase the bundle?

Coachingguy

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
I like the idea of picking your own price, and I'm willing to more than double the $9.10 that's there now... What I don't like and don't want to do is give them access to my Facebook "friends" etc...

I hate it when I get looped in via email or some other method because somebody else "shared" their FB friends for a deal... That's a quick way to block or unfriend.

Am I the only one who has problem with this? I liked it, I shared it via my Twitter and posted the link to my FB timeline... I DO NOT want to give them any more access than this.

Again, am I the only one who has this issue? Is there a different way to purchase the bundle?

Coachingguy

I didn't have to sign up with facebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.