Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
Ok, so for the past few days I've been having some notification issues.

For all the iOS stuff (Phone, texts, mail) the alerts come through, and some 3rd party apps (Tweetbot, WWF) also come through. But then I have a lot of other apps (CNN, ABC, Zynga Poker, Facebook) whose notification sounds don't come through.

They all have sound enabled in the notifications list. I get the push notifications, I just don't get the sound. It's not muted because other notifications work.

My tweaks are:

Activator
AskToCall
Badge Customizer
BiteSMS
Blackout
BrowseInApp
BrowserChooser
Calendar Pro for NC
ChromeURL
Cyntact
DisplayCandy
FolderEnhancer
Gridlock
ISX
Jellylock
Mail Enhancer Pro
Multiiconmover
Multistorey
NCBettterSwipe
QuickStore
Springtomize 2
SwipeShiftCaret
ThumbsUp
BatteryDoctorPro
2x2 Folder Icons

All the notification sounds work on my iPhone 4, and they worked on my iPhone until a few days ago.

The only thing that changed since then was:

Added: BrowserChooser, ChromeURL, Jellylock, Quickstore, and BatteryDoctorPro.

Also, I installed Flusterless and used it for a day. Then I removed it. But i feel like the no sound started when I used flusterless to turn on DND (it is no longer on). I'm wondering if that might have corrupted any app that sent a notification while it was enabled?

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
"They all have sound enabled in the notifications list."

Everything is set up correctly. Which is why this is so baffling.

I decided to uninstall and reinstall CNN to see if that might fix the issue. Instead, I think it isn't getting any push notifications at all (none in 6 hours) which is unusual for the time I've used the app but I have no way of seeing if they just didn't push anything today either.

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
Anyone at all? I'm so desperate to fix this. I just bought the phone. I can't guarantee I can get another with 6.1.2

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
Every notification I got from CNN and FB dinged. I only get notifications from 8 apps and if some of them didn't ding I would have noticed right away. This was a new development

Last edited:

kirb

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2013
Australia
Sounds like something changed the stock Messages sound (apps use this by default if they don't have their own sounds). Go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds in iFile and make sure that sms-received1.caf exists and plays the sound when you tap it. If that works and you use WinterBoard, a theme has possibly overridden it with a silent sound - go to /Library/Themes and look through your themes for UISounds/sms-received1.caf; delete any that are silent. (It's also possible that a tweak is disabling it accidentally; if the above doesn't work, try uninstalling tweaks one by one until you find the culprit)

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
Sounds like something changed the stock Messages sound (apps use this by default if they don't have their own sounds). Go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds in iFile and make sure that sms-received1.caf exists and plays the sound when you tap it. If that works and you use WinterBoard, a theme has possibly overridden it with a silent sound - go to /Library/Themes and look through your themes for UISounds/sms-received1.caf; delete any that are silent. (It's also possible that a tweak is disabling it accidentally; if the above doesn't work, try uninstalling tweaks one by one until you find the culprit)

I don't use winterboard themes but i'll definetely check with iFile.

I've already uninstalled all my tweaks

My SMS DOES work though

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just a thought, and probably won't help at all, but have you tried cycling Do Not Disturb? As in turn it on, then back off?

There are some battery saving tweaks out there that after removal often cause loss of cellular connection. Cycling the cellular button has restored the connection more than once. I'm applying that logic to this problem. Again, maybe not helpful but might be worth a shot if you haven't tried it already.

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
Just a thought, and probably won't help at all, but have you tried cycling Do Not Disturb? As in turn it on, then back off?

There are some battery saving tweaks out there that after install cause often cause loss of cellular connection. Cycling the cellular button has restore the connection more than once. I'm applying that logic to this problem. Again, maybe not helpful but might be worth a shot if you haven't tried it already.

I'll try it. Would you think installing flusterless and using that would also be something to try?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'll try it. Would you think installing flusterless and using that would also be something to try?
That would have been my next suggestion. If this does not work and you reinstall Flusterless and your sound comes back you know that the issue is with Flusterless.

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
I also have this problem with certain apps like draw something and Facebook. They have the option for playing sounds when receiving notifications, that option is enabled, but I never actually get a sound played when I get a notification.

I've never been able to figure out why and its very annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.