Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Have 2 iPhone 5's on Verizon contract and I'm going to sell one on eBay.:eek:
I see how you can clear and erase all data and content.:rolleyes:
Will this remove my phone number from the phone?:confused:

Also should I remove the sim card before I ship it out?:confused:
Never sold an iPhone 5 before.:p

chilibball

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
I would definitely remove the SIM cards. I would also call Verizon to deactivate the iPhones from your account.

Kevin

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Restoring the phone isn't going to remove your number. You will either need to replace the phone with another phone oine or by phoning Verizon. If all you do is restore, the next user technically would have your number in his/her hands. Your sim is also something you should keep, however they can always deactivate it for you as well. Nano sims should be reusable, so if you wanted to include it, as long as its deactivated, that would be fine.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Restoring the phone isn't going to remove your number. You will either need to replace the phone with another phone oine or by phoning Verizon. If all you do is restore, the next user technically would have your number in his/her hands. Your sim is also something you should keep, however they can always deactivate it for you as well. Nano sims should be reusable, so if you wanted to include it, as long as its deactivated, that would be fine.

SIM cards are not reusable. The minute it's deactivated, it's done and garbage. The OP should keep his SIM card, since like any other gsm network, Verizon's new LTE needs a SIM card to operate. As long as the phone is deactivated on their account, SIM card removed, and phone restored as new, the OP should be fine. Don't send your SIM card with the phone, as it will be useless to the next person anyways. As long as the phone is officially removed off the OP's account, the new owner just needs to pop in his SIM card and call Verizon to have the phone activated on their account. The new owner won't have the original owners number or anything. It's not like an old CDMA phone and the troubles that happened when selling them in the past. Remove SIM card, make a phone call to Verizon to remove the phones MEID from the account and you're good to go.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
SIM cards are not reusable. The minute it's deactivated, it's done and garbage. The OP should keep his SIM card, since like any other gsm network, Verizon's new LTE needs a SIM card to operate. As long as the phone is deactivated on their account, SIM card removed, and phone restored as new, the OP should be fine. Don't send your SIM card with the phone, as it will be useless to the next person anyways. As long as the phone is officially removed off the OP's account, the new owner just needs to pop in his SIM card and call Verizon to have the phone activated on their account. The new owner won't have the original owners number or anything. It's not like an old CDMA phone and the troubles that happened when selling them in the past. Remove SIM card, make a phone call to Verizon to remove the phones MEID from the account and you're good to go.

Wrong I was able to swap an iPhone 5 from my account to my wifes account using the same sim.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I don't think the sim card in the Verizon iPhone is actually used until you use it to activate on A GSM network overseas. This explains why the phone can still make a phone call with the sim removed. It is not needed for use in the US although it will prompt you to insert one.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I don't think the sim card in the Verizon iPhone is actually used until you use it to activate on A GSM network overseas. This explains why the phone can still make a phone call with the sim removed. It is not needed for use in the US.

It's used. When I would take my SIM card out of my Verizon iPhone 5 it would change to 'no service'.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
It's used. When I would take my SIM card out of my Verizon iPhone 5 it would change to 'no service'.

I was able to make calls without a sim card in mine.

I sold mine in January and I before I did, I tried removing the sim card to see if the phone would still work, it did. Verizon doesn't use sim cards on their network. The sim is included only for use overseas although the 5 is unlocked and will work on T-Mobile.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I was able to make calls without a sim card in mine.

I sold mine in January and I before I did, I tried removing the sim card to see if the phone would still work, it did. Verizon doesn't use sim cards on their network. The sim is included only for use overseas although the 5 is unlocked and will work on T-Mobile.

Did you have a 5 or a 4S? On my 5 it would say 'no service' when I took the Verizon sim card out. I know it doesn't matter for the 4S.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Have 2 iPhone 5's on Verizon contract and I'm going to sell one on eBay.:eek:
I see how you can clear and erase all data and content.:rolleyes:
Will this remove my phone number from the phone?:confused:

Also should I remove the sim card before I ship it out?:confused:
Never sold an iPhone 5 before.:p

I would simply erase all content and settings, and then pull the sim card out of the phone- thus ensuring the number will not stay with the phone after you sell it.

If you wont be using that number anymore, destroy the card.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I had a 4S.

Unlike the 4S, the 5 requires the SIM on Verizon in order for normal cellular features to work. I have a Verizon 5 with an AT&T SIM installed, and everything I do is directed to my AT&T account. If I remove SIM, No Service is displayed.

I currently still have this phone tied to a Verizon account for iPhone (fam plan, have not yet cancelled line). Sent from my iPhone 5.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Wrong I was able to swap an iPhone 5 from my account to my wifes account using the same sim.

I meant once a sim was unregistered or deactivated, it can't be reactivated, making it useless to the next person. Switching active SIM cards is a whole different thing. The op needs to remove the SIM card and not give it to the next person.

And on an iPhone 4S, the SIM card is only for overseas roaming and isn't required for domestic Verizon use. The phone will still work with it removed. However the iPhone 5 using Verizon's lte network needs a SIM card in order to work. Removing it gives you a "no sim installed" error and won't work.

So no, I'm not wrong.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Nano SIM cards are reusable now. This is new, and is only true for the nano sims (and presumably anything that comes after them).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.