Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwaynewilliams

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
For the last two years, I have been using iPads at home. Everyone in the house has their own. Started thinking about a month ago, whether or not I needed a laptop; something more powerful than the iPad. I went to the Apple store and looked at the MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air. I really liked them, but ultimately decided to just upgrade my iPad 2 to the 4. I bought the Kensington Pro 2 keyboard case for my new iPad along with Apple's pages, keynote, and numbers apps. I think that is all I really needed. I have found that I am able to do everything that I need with this combination of accessories and apps. It has truly become a laptop replacement for me. I know that isn't going to be the case for everyone, but who else has replaced their laptop with the iPad?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I've largely done it, but I still need my laptop for production. Things like Final Cut Pro and Photoshop just aren't possible yet. Also, I do a lot of finances online, and the sites seem to work better on a desktop than an iPad.

SuperPolli

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2013
New Jersey
I Tried and Failed.

Until last summer I used a Dell Inspiron. Then I got my first Mac in the form of a desktop Mac Mini. I assumed that my iPad would work just as well as a laptop when I needed something portable. It didn't work so well. After about 6 months I picked up an older MacBook Air (Late 2010) to help me with on the go work. I think it would work for some people but I use Photoshop Lightroom which isn't on iOS yet.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
For the last two years, I have been using iPads at home. Everyone in the house has their own. Started thinking about a month ago, whether or not I needed a laptop; something more powerful than the iPad. I went to the Apple store and looked at the MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air. I really liked them, but ultimately decided to just upgrade my iPad 2 to the 4. I bought the Kensington Pro 2 keyboard case for my new iPad along with Apple's pages, keynote, and numbers apps. I think that is all I really needed. I have found that I am able to do everything that I need with this combination of accessories and apps. It has truly become a laptop replacement for me. I know that isn't going to be the case for everyone, but who else has replaced their laptop with the iPad?

I was going to ditch my laptop for going to class, however I just can't get the same functionality for certain classes that require greater computing functionality such as flash or attaching files to drop boxes, etc. Also I am still a faster typer on a macbook then on a iPad case. Macbook Air is the way to go for me.

dwaynewilliams

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
I still need the user-accessible file system. The iPad doesn't have enough storage for me. Even with a keyboard it's too limited.

128 GBs and cloud storage is good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I'm very close to it. Using a Zagg Profolio keyboard case with mine for a couple weeks now. Barely turned on my MBP. I still need my MBP for when I have to download or convert documents/presentations and things like that, or edit pictures. But the majority of my uses are covered with my iPad. Now just to wait for the 5 to be released to upgrade to 128GB.

I have even been contemplating getting a refurb 16GB iPad mini once they're available in my country. That way I can just leave my normal iPad in the keyboard case at all times and when I just want to browse the web or read news, I can just pick up the mini.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I am about to get new MacBook Pro on Monday and will I give up my iPad 2 completely? Probably not because I will still use it for commute and I can use it for Netflix. MacBook Pro is what I need to do with photoshop and video-editing. :apple:

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I ditched my MacBook Air for an iPad 2 and I'm happy with it. I do miss a few games, but it was overkill for me after I used it for the period of time I needed it to do work the iPad couldn't do. However, I'm glad to have the iPad's simplicity. As always, depends on your needs, but it can be done! (Sent from my iPad 2 ;) )

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I just sold my iPad 3 and am getting a new one in the latter ain't that grand :p. But somewhere in the murky conners of my room, i still use a iMac for home and MacBook Pro retina for my travels. Don't get me wrong the iPad is nifty tool for your thumbs and fingers to surf the net, to strike across pages proofreading and editing documents and to twiddle away posting those annoying posts here all before lights out. But i cannot live without my Mac family, I always loved being immersed in the warmth and big screen of my 2010 iMac 27 and my macbook 15" is no exception with its sleek and industrial appeal when I'am on the go.

Last edited:

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
For basic tasks like email and web browsing sure its a great alternative. For anything intensive or requiring more than simple typing its far less adequate in my opinion.

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
This has been covered before, but I understand the desire to cover it again. I also wish I could use my iPad as a laptop replacement, and even better, I wish it came with a pressure sensitive stylus, so I could be used as an on-the-go graphics tablet. I kept/keep thinking that Apple will take it there one day soon, but then the next iPad comes out, and no luck. I still live in hope.

Not going to hold my breath, though.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
I can't imagine using an iPad as a laptop alternative. It's slower, less productive, and less ergonomic. And I'm not even in the media producing/artistic business. I'm just a guy who wants to run a couple spreadsheets, 4-5 tabs open in safari, pay a bill or two online, surf eBay, sample songs on iTunes, participate in forums such as these. And I hate mobile sites.

Everything is faster on a laptop. And the trackpad easier to use than the iPad screen. Less movement required.

Unless I fly a lot, I can't see myself using an iPad full time. Heck, I just returned my iPad mini today after 1 week cuz the novelty wore off.

hummingbird0209

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2013
I won't be making iPad as a regular computer replacement. Yes iPad is nicer to use, but just for some occasions.

I live in Singapore and I have to travel with subway everyday. The cabin is packed with people and it is impossible to open MacBook and use it.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
This has been covered before, but I understand the desire to cover it again. I also wish I could use my iPad as a laptop replacement, and even better, I wish it came with a pressure sensitive stylus, so I could be used as an on-the-go graphics tablet. I kept/keep thinking that Apple will take it there one day soon, but then the next iPad comes out, and no luck. I still live in hope.

Not going to hold my breath, though.

Isn't there a Bluetooth Jot stylus that does the pressure sensitive thang?

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
I am actually giving up my MBA for an IPAD I just picked up the other night.
I am finding my Macbook is a really expensive paperweight. I love it and all, but I find myself reaching for my phone by ease and habit when in bed to browse instead of my Macbook.
For plane rides it is still as annoying as any other laptop for me to flip open and watch due to space.

I still have a powerhouse of a desktop in the basement that I do not use often because I have other devices to browse with.
So for me I think the IPAD will do well. I have multiple other laptops and desktops to do "real work" on.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Because of the iPad I have replaced my Macbook Pro for an iMac and replaced the portability of my Macbook Pro with my iPad.

All my heavy power usage and gaming is done on the iMac and the browsing, socializing, and light gaming is done on my iPad.

And iPhone with me at all times to stay connected.

This has worked well for me and never ran into an issue where I needed a laptop.

grace4star

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2013
Never will REPLACE it. I love iPads. Great things. But I WILL get a MacBook Pro hopefully in the future. Maybe a MacBook Air. I think having both are great, connect them to each other = more. No need to replace my iPad unless I am in College or something.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
I use both, as they complement each other. I use my iPad for surfing and communicating with the world when I'm outside home, and I use my Mac for writing software. If I had to go back to using either one or the other, I would keep my Mac.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
My iPad is as productive as it is entertaining.

To get around iOS not having a Finder and the iPad having limited internal storage I use an app called FileBrowser and a USB hard drive attached to my AirPort Extreme. FileBrowser supports "Open in" so I'm able to work with files using the appropriate app, and it's able to access my 1TB of network storage from anywhere. The combination works swimmingly.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
I know that isn't going to be the case for everyone, but who else has replaced their laptop with the iPad?

I've been barely using my MBP since buying iPad. I still use MacPro for my work and MBP when traveling, but when at home MBP became pretty much useless.

dwaynewilliams

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
I'm going to continue to use my iPad as a laptop replacement until I come across a situation where using the iPad is simply unworkable. I haven't come across that situation in 2 years though. I love that when I need to get some work done I can use the bluetooth keyboard case and be productive, but when I just want to watch something on Netflix, read a book, or play a game, I can pull the iPad out of the case and use it that way. It is so versatile. And for those who say that the iPad is not fast enough, I can't see it. I love the speed of it. To be honest, I have never had a MBP or MBA, but the iPad is definitely faster and easier to use than my Windows laptops. Plus, the iPad is a lot cheaper than a MBP. For just under $1000, you can get a 128 GB iPad with retina display and LTE, with a keyboard case, and the productive apps you would need to get things done. To get a wifi only MBA, it starts at $1000. And that's without the retina display and all of the extras you would want.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
We don't care. ;)

If you can use an iPad as your only computer... Good for you... You're the typical consumer that Apple is after with these $400-$1,000 devices.

But honestly, the pro-market is alive and well, and for a lot of us that create, develop, and write that content you're probably browsing and watching, MacBooks are important to us. We cannot live in a small box, some can't even live in two screens and have to have three. iPads can really hurt a good workflow, even if you're just writing a paper. We need that whole desk/work space, no gesture shortcuts or touch based panels are ever going to make the process more efficient than using a keyboard and mouse.

We already have the best mobile setup for us, and that's a laptop. And cost isn't an issue when you're doing something that is actually making you money, so again, we don't care.

And that's not just directed at just you, that's to every person who brings this whole iPad as a laptop replacement issue.

I use my iPad Mini as an accessory. I didn't have to invest in a Wacom tablet because I use SketchBook Ink, I don't have to invest into audio equipment and the really expensive tools because I have software instruments and a great mobile DAW, and the TI-Nspire app is a much better alternative to its $100+ separate hardware version.

However, you cannot dumb down everything for the sake of saving money and being even more flexible. You have to stick to standards for some things, and it goes without saying, you have to spend money to make money.

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
The iPad will not work as a replacement for me. I use the Adobe Suite. My main program being Dreamweaver. I use the iPad for testing the stuff we design and use for my sales reps before I push it out to them.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
But honestly, the pro-market is alive and well

Jessica, you're right saying iPad can't be a replacement to a professional machines used by pros. I've been working on a PowerMac / MacPro ever since the 90s. But since my first iPad all the leisure things / e-reading and even a bit of work has shifted to iPad. And as I'm working at home, I'm not really need a MacBook, at least at this point. Only while traveling, as iPad doesn't work for a real work. But it works great for the rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.