Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Looking for the new AWS Compatible iPhone 5 for T-Mobile, Wind Mobile or Mobilicity and want to be 100% sure that you are getting the correct iPhone 5? Simply match one of the 6 Serial combinations below.

Thanks to Prime85 and others input we are able to Identify the models based on Serial #'s:
FH19 - Black 16GB
FH1C - White 16GB
FH1D - Black 32GB
FH1F - White 32GB
FH1G - Black 64GB
FH1H - White 64GB

So All of you Current A1428 model owners, get your iPhone replaced under apple care for any/all reasons...if you need T-Mobile AWS Support.

Update 1: I recently came across a Friends new 64GB iPhone 5 White, Serial ends with FH1H but Model Number starts with MD! So now it has come down to, the only way to determine AWS compatibility is by looking at Serial # last 4 digits

Need a Prepaid Plan for your Unlocked iPhone? Check out my other thread: (Click Here)

Need to Unlock your AT&T iPhone, Samsung, HTC or any other AT&T Smartphone? Visit my site: (Click Here)

Last edited:

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
iPhone 5 service parts for T-Mobile are in the 661-7xxx range. What exactly, no clue.

Whoever gets them swapped out, reply and list them out.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
T-Mobile Tweaked iPhone 5 Owners (A1428) Please Share your Model Numbers

If you want one then go to an applestore and use your applecare. They had no problem exchanging the iPhone.

I had no issue at all exchanging mine and i didnt even have to lie.

But to answer your question my serial is NE491LL/A = 64GB Unlocked with 1700 AWS

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
If you want one then go to an applestore and use your applecare. They had no problem exchanging the iPhone.

But to answer your question my serial is NE491LL/A = 64GB Unlocked with 1700 AWS

I've been having hardware issues with my unlocked iPhone 5 that I bought directly from Apple since the end of January and I've been thinking about going to an Apple store to have it replaced with the T-Mobile version (btw I have the applecare plan).

It seems that you had a positive experience in exchanging your iPhone at an Apple Store and I'm hoping that others (including myself!) have similar experiences that they'll also share with the members here.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I've been having hardware issues with my unlocked iPhone 5 that I bought directly from Apple since the end of January and I've been thinking about going to an Apple store to have it replaced with the T-Mobile version (btw I have the applecare plan).

It seems that you had a positive experience in exchanging your iPhone at an Apple Store and I'm hoping that others (including myself!) have similar experiences that they'll also share with the members here.

Goodluck! Please let me know how it goes.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012

So you got your unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 replaced with the T-Mobile version with no problems? Because one Genius gave me a conflicting story. Said it wasn't possible since they were different. :/

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
So you got your unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 replaced with the T-Mobile version with no problems? Because one Genius gave me a conflicting story. Said it wasn't possible since they were different. :/

They actually no longer have the old ones. So all the replacement unlocked phones will work with tmobile. Find a different genius that one seems to not know what he is talking about. Ask for a replacement unlocked version and check the serial on the box to see if it ends with one of these

FH19
FH1C
FH1D
FH1F
FH1G
FH1H

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois

may I ask besides the Serial number (which has been giving false hope if you read my post and see my first model number as well as follow the link which shows a iPhone running Wind Mobile with exact same model number...difference is purchase time mine OCT 05/2012 and that person April 2013...) how are you actually confirming your iPhone supports AWS...now that all iPhone 5's show "4G" in 1700/2100 AWS and 1900MHz refarm coverage.

----------

They actually no longer have the old ones. So all the replacement unlocked phones will work with tmobile. Find a different genius that one seems to not know what he is talking about. Ask for a replacement unlocked version and check the serial on the box to see if it ends with one of these

FH19
FH1C
FH1D
FH1F
FH1G
FH1H

I will be getting my Two AT&T iPhones replaced (16GB) soon to double test/confirm, I'm hoping that my thread in the end will make it less confusing for everyone.

----------

I think different meaning hes referring to the Apple Internal Item #....to us hardware wise they are all A1428...but to them they are 661-6847 or 661-6846 or 661-7xxx indeed different....

----------

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5720 - apples own support page gives you the list of serial numbers of the tweaked iphone 5 A1428.

I wouldnt start the thread like a good portion of the members without doing my research...so far from screen shots available on Howard Forum and Macrumors I have seen anything but serial numbers ending in those 4 combos....

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
[/COLOR]

I wouldnt start the thread like a good portion of the members without doing my research...so far from screen shots available on Howard Forum and Macrumors I have seen anything but serial numbers ending in those 4 combos....

My serial ends in FH1H and it is compatible with the t-mobile AWS network. So are you saying apple is lying on their own site?

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
may I ask besides the Serial number (which has been giving false hope if you read my post and see my first model number as well as follow the link which shows a iPhone running Wind Mobile with exact same model number...difference is purchase time mine OCT 05/2012 and that person April 2013...) how are you actually confirming your iPhone supports AWS...now that all iPhone 5's show "4G" in 1700/2100 AWS and 1900MHz refarm coverage.

----------

I will be getting my Two AT&T iPhones replaced (16GB) soon to double test/confirm, I'm hoping that my thread in the end will make it less confusing for everyone.

----------

I think different meaning hes referring to the Apple Internal Item #....to us hardware wise they are all A1428...but to them they are 661-6847 or 661-6846 or 661-7xxx indeed different....

----------

I had an issue with my unlocked iPhone 5 that I bought in December. I dont have apple care. I had an issue with lock key. Wen I took to apple store m Wednesday, they were replacing with an iPhone 5 that doesnt end with the serial numbers mentioned above. I explained my concern but they were all BSing saying hat I would never get an iPhone 5 with tmo AWS bands for UMTS. I simply rejected the phone and told them that I will come my again next month. Hopefully, the old non tweaked iPhone will run out of stock and the only ones that are left with are probably tweaked ones. I am monitoring threads if anyone gets the newer one for replacement and then go to apple store for replacement.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I had an issue with my unlocked iPhone 5 that I bought in December. I dont have apple care. I had an issue with lock key. Wen I took to apple store m Wednesday, they were replacing with an iPhone 5 that doesnt end with the serial numbers mentioned above. I explained my concern but they were all BSing saying hat I would never get an iPhone 5 with tmo AWS bands for UMTS. I simply rejected the phone and told them that I will come my again next month. Hopefully, the old non tweaked iPhone will run out of stock and the only ones that are left with are probably tweaked ones. I am monitoring threads if anyone gets the newer one for replacement and then go to apple store for replacement.

I know two people personally getting their AT&T models replaced at two different stores, the both apple stores turned out to be out of stock of White and Black AT&T iPhone 5's....I'm hoping this is a sign that the replacements will be the tmobile ones

----------

My serial ends in FH1H and it is compatible with the t-mobile AWS network. So are you saying apple is lying on their own site?

I'm trying to prove a point that apples those few combos aren't enough as members with other combos such at DTTP DTTQ have been reported as working on AWS, trying to help people clear up doubts, confusions etc rather than just concentrating on what is just simply listed on their website. That's good you got that matching serial number but I have seen a good portion get entirely different combos....because we always can't go by the book as it has proven to cause a confusion....Also we already know those that get the matching serial numbers are already in the clear, I'm hoping to solve the mystery for the rest as a lot of people are getting their iPhones replaced with some reporting AWS success.

Edit: I made a change to the first sentence of my OP, will only concentrate on owners with tmo iPhones who have anything but "FHxx" serial numbers

Last edited:

jts2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
I know two people personally getting their AT&T models replaced at two different stores, the both apple stores turned out to be out of stock of White and Black AT&T iPhone 5's....I'm hoping this is a sign that the replacements will be the tmobile ones...

When I went to the Apple store, they mentioned that they don't have the phone in stock. They said that they will call me when it comes. When they called me, they showed me a piece that just came with the phone and nothing else. I mean its not a new box but has just the phone. The serial number on this phone is none of the above that support Tmobile AWS on 3G+.

Looks like they have separate shipments for new phones and separate for replacements. The new iPhone shipments may support both but my point is the shipments for replacement phones may not have Tmobile AWS on 3G+ (HSPA+).

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
When I went to the Apple store, they mentioned that they don't have the phone in stock. They said that they will call me when it comes. When they called me, they showed me a piece that just came with the phone and nothing else. I mean its not a new box but has just the phone. The serial number on this phone is none of the above that support Tmobile AWS on 3G+.

Looks like they have separate shipments for new phones and separate for replacements. The new iPhone shipments may support both but my point is the shipments for replacement phones may not have Tmobile AWS on 3G+ (HSPA+).

ya we can only cross our fingers sadly...but if people are getting "NE" as replacements we can have some what of a hope that it supports AWS...if its positive I will be getting my iPhone replaced for sure...as it will be worth getting a replacement that supports AWS...without forking out $200 that some people are just to get on T-Mobile...

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Just got two AT&T iPhones replaced and they both start with NE, I'm going to get them unlocked and report back after doing proper testing althought being in strong T-Mobile 1900MHz coverage area it's going to be difficult

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Lets Confirm T-Mobile iPhone 5 (A1428) Please Share your Model Numbers

Just got two AT&T iPhones replaced and they both start with NE, I'm going to get them unlocked and report back after doing proper testing althought being in strong T-Mobile 1900MHz coverage area it's going to be difficult

Mine is NE and it is on the AWS network. I am in Miami which is also a very strong refarmed are but i have not seen E since i got it exchanged. Mean network speed (speedtest) is 12mb/s. Also i now receive 4G in the center of my house which was always E before the exchange. My brothers phone was also replaced with an NE model and he now hows excellent 4G coverage inside his house where as before the exchange it always said no service.

Last edited:

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Mine is NE and it is on the AWS network. I am in Miami which is also a very strong refarmed are but i have not seen E since i got it exchanged. Mean network speed (speediest) is 12mb/s. Also i now receive 4G in the center of my house which was always E before the exchange. My brothers phone was also replaced with an NE model and he now hows excellent 4G coverage inside his house where as before the exchange it always said no service.

CONFIRMED NE486LL/A and NE487LL/A with serial numbers ending with FH1C both are T-Mobile compatible with AWS!

MD638LL/A = 16GB AT&T Unlocked (Original) got replaced at Apple Store for NE486LL/A
MD639LL/A = 16GB AT&T Unlocked (Original) got replaced at Apple Store for NE487LL/A

Only thing sucked was they came with iOS 6.1.3 but now we have full T-Mobile AWS Compatibility...will be using one of these phones in Canada on Wind:)

Last edited:

jjx360

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
CONFIRMED NE486LL/A and NE487LL/A with serial numbers ending with FH1C both are T-Mobile compatible with AWS!

MD638LL/A = 16GB AT&T Unlocked (Original) got replaced at Apple Store for NE486LL/A
MD639LL/A = 16GB AT&T Unlocked (Original) got replaced at Apple Store for NE487LL/A

That is great news !!! I really want one so bad. For me, I got mine replaced 2 weeks ago due to the power/sleep button jamming up. I may come up with some BS excuse to get it replaced. It may be unethical, but they screwed me by not offering the software to take advantage of the hardware I already have. lol.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
That is great news !!! I really want one so bad. For me, I got mine replaced 2 weeks ago due to the power/sleep button jamming up. I may come up with some BS excuse to get it replaced. It may be unethical, but they screwed me by not offering the software to take advantage of the hardware I already have. lol.

Go for it, I think apple knows what its doing in this sense...taking all old A1428's back and reconfiguring them since the new and old A1428 have no hardware/physical differences and I bet the baseband "hardwired" firmware is something apple is getting updated in the background before sending those units back out to be given to customers as "replacements"

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

I didnt have to make up an excuse, I told them that i need to exchange my unlocked iphone 5 for a refurbished one because my iphone doesnt have access to T-Mobiles AWS network and the new ones do. His response was.... "OK"

Got the "new" phone and i couldnt be happier.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I didnt have to make up an excuse, I told them that i need to exchange my unlocked iphone 5 for a refurbished one because my iphone doesnt have access to T-Mobiles AWS network and the new ones do. His response was.... "OK"

Got the "new" phone and i couldnt be happier.

how old was your phone? I don't want to use my applecare+ if i can get it that easily...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.