Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
How about the distributed.net client? Pure CPU #'s but it's something I always run against any new machines I get.

vogelhausdesign

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
does anyone have a single downloadable benchmark they can link me to and we can compare machines? I'd like to see how I stack against different machines used here. :apple:

arenajhonson

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
Applications that depend on the AltiVec engine, such as video and audio compression continues to slow Rosetta ..

Altivec applications that depend on and are universal binaries or native (built for Intel) will be just as fast if not faster than the iMac G5, and in some cases damn near close to my dual G5.

Name101

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
It's been quite some time since I have been around.

but applications like blender will scale no matter the computer (Operating system). The more complex you make the render the better the CPUs scale.

Yes many consumers are gamers now but what games?

There needs to be a universal script that does a CPU, GPU, RAM and HDD test in the one script. It also needs to be so complex that the sandy bridge CPU doesn't do it in 0.3 of a second making comparison between many types of CPU difficult.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I agree that a one-for-all benchmark is not feasible. For instance, I do not use my Mac pro (or any other machine for that matter) for gaming, in stead I could use a aperture-specific benchmark. 'Nuff said 'bout that though.

The main point for my comment is to ask, whether someone could compile a guide to all freely available benchmarks so that people would be able to catch the wisdoms from this thread without having to read through the entire text.

RGDS,

skippyfx

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
S.F. Bay Area
This is a great idea! I've wondered why it doesn't already exist.

As a guy who primarily uses Adobe After Effects / Premiere, I would love to see some type of results for them included. :)

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
macProHeaven.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

vett93

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
California
Any issues with the free NovaBench from App Store? It breaks down the performance in several categories. I can use that to benchmark computers with my intended uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.