Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Hi all,

I'll be doing a Foundation Degree in Photography come September and was wondering if the Canon 600D or the upcoming Canon 700D is the better camera?

Also; should I purchase a 15" rMBP as well?

Thanks.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Depending on where you are doing it some places have equipment storage where you can borrow/rent equipment.

I would consider doing this over buying your own camera initially.

Also there wouldn't be much benefit buying something now over buying something in september as new models might be out and prices might be lower.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Depending on where you are doing it some places have equipment storage where you can borrow/rent equipment.

I would consider doing this over buying your own camera initially.

Also there wouldn't be much benefit buying something now over buying something in september as new models might be out and prices might be lower.
I'd rather have my own camera, then it's my camera then. Besides, I need to upgrade my pretty basic camera anyways. The Canon 600D is quite cheaper than the 700D - I think I'll go with the 700D.

Well, I could always borrow lenses, if it's possible to borrow at all. It'll be better to have a camera that's my own.

Is the Canon 600D or the upcoming 700D the better camera?

Cheers.

Last edited:

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I definitely hope the 700D is better. The 650D had a horror-sensor, taking us back to 2005 in terms of IQ. But you figured that out probably, as you think between the 600D and the 700D.
If you have nothing yet, also consider the Nikon D7100.
According to your tool list, you already bought a 700D, so why ask?

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I definitely hope the 700D is better. The 650D had a horror-sensor, taking us back to 2005 in terms of IQ. But you figured that out probably, as you think between the 600D and the 700D.
If you have nothing yet, also consider the Nikon D7100.
According to your tool list, you already bought a 700D, so why ask?
True, according to Amazon.co.uk the Canon EOS 700D isn't released until the 8th of May? I'll be purchasing it on that date.

I'll buy it when it's released. :)

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
I'd go with the 700D.

Buy the BEST you can afford - so in this case the 700D over the 600D. And always go with your gut, not your wallet.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I'd go with the 600D because the newer entry-lever Canon DSLRs have nothing going for them except better AF, touchscreen and video stuff.
For strictly still photography the 600D is a better budget DSLR, offering the same image quality as its newer brothers while being $200-300 cheaper.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I'd go with the 700D.

Buy the BEST you can afford - so in this case the 700D over the 600D. And always go with your gut, not your wallet.
I agree, I'd regret getting the 600D.

I'd go with the 600D because the newer entry-lever Canon DSLRs have nothing going for them except better AF, touchscreen and video stuff.
For strictly still photography the 600D is a better budget DSLR, offering the same image quality as its newer brothers while being $200-300 cheaper.
I think I'll be buying the 700D though, It'll be like buying an iPad 2 when the iPad 4 is out, well... if you know what I mean. I'm sure the 600D is nice, but I might as well get the 700D since I have the money and I'll be using the camera for years.

Thanks.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Actually, after having a bt of a look at prices, I would go with the Canon 60D. The sensor is still just as good as the 700D, it has a pentaprism which is a lot better than a pentamirror, a larger viewfinder, better weather sealing and build quality, and a top LCD. Plus you can pick it up, official UK stock and with a 2 year warranty, from Digital Depot (who have a shop in Stevenage) for £599 (body only) and there is £65 cashback from Canon.

http://www.digitaldepot.co.uk/canon-eos-60d-body-only.html

I still stand by what I said about buy the best, but this is a much better camera overall IMHO

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Actually, after having a bt of a look at prices, I would go with the Canon 60D. The sensor is still just as good as the 700D, it has a pentaprism which is a lot better than a pentamirror, a larger viewfinder, better weather sealing and build quality, and a top LCD. Plus you can pick it up, official UK stock and with a 2 year warranty, from Digital Depot (who have a shop in Stevenage) for £599 (body only) and there is £65 cashback from Canon.

You make a valid point my friend, but the Canon 700D is the newer model and this is why I thought I'd be a good one to buy - is the Canon 700D or the Canon 60D better?

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
You make a valid point my friend, but the Canon 700D is the newer model and this is why I thought I'd be a good one to buy - is the Canon 700D or the Canon 60D better?

Have a look at the link: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-700D-vs-Canon_EOS_60D

I'd get the 60D. The sensor is just as good (trust me) but the entire quality of the camera is MUCH better for the 60D. The 700D is more of a entry level camera whereas the 60D is more towards the mid level.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Have a look at the link: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-700D-vs-Canon_EOS_60D

I'd get the 60D. The sensor is just as good (trust me) but the entire quality of the camera is MUCH better for the 60D. The 700D is more of a entry level camera whereas the 60D is more towards the mid level.
Thanks for your advice, I'll be getting the 700D - is the 700D a good camera?

I think the 700D is cheaper slightly as well. I can't decide between the 60D or the 700D. :(

What's bothering me is that the 700D is the "newer" camera, you tend to think the newer camera would be better if you know what I mean? I hope that makes sense. :p

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I'd rather have my own camera, then it's my camera then. Besides, I need to upgrade my pretty basic camera anyways. The Canon 600D is quite cheaper than the 700D - I think I'll go with the 700D.

Well, I could always borrow lenses, if it's possible to borrow at all. It'll be better to have a camera that's my own.

Is the Canon 600D or the upcoming 700D the better camera?

Cheers.

What university are you going to?

I would seriously consider waiting until you understand the basics of photography because you don't want to regret your decision after you start learning about photography.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
I would seriously consider waiting until you understand the basics of photography because you don't want to regret your decision after you start learning about photography.

Totally agree with this - the camera is always only ever as good as the photographer and their imagination.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
What's bothering me is that the 700D is the "newer" camera, you tend to think the newer camera would be better if you know what I mean? I hope that makes sense. :p
Both Nikon and Canon have (roughly speaking) 3 lines of D-SLRs. They're broken into Consumer, Hobbyist/Prosumer and Professional.

A newer Consumer model would be better than it's predecessor, however, it may not be better than older models in the other 2 lines. This is why the 60D can be better than the newer 700D.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Both Nikon and Canon have (roughly speaking) 3 lines of D-SLRs. They're broken into Consumer, Hobbyist/Prosumer and Professional.

A newer Consumer model would be better than it's predecessor, however, it may not be better than older models in the other 2 lines. This is why the 60D can be better than the newer 700D.
Hmmmm. I know what you mean, this is a tough choice. Which do you think I should purchase? Well, I guess the 700D is "newer" but the 70D is "better" right?

I'm doing a foundation degree at my college rather than going to university; and my camera at the moment also needs an upgrade. :)

The 700D is also slightly cheaper than the 700D. If I buy the 700D I'll wish I bought the 70D, if I buy the 70D I'll wish I had bought the 700D :( What camera should I purchase?

Would the 600D, 700D or the 60D be the better purchase?

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If I buy the 700D I'll wish I bought the 70D, if I buy the 70D I'll wish I had bought the 700D :(
Would the 600D, 700D or the 60D be the better purchase?
Compare the features of the cameras you are looking at. DP Review has a camera comparison page that allows you to select cameras to compare. See what is different about the cameras. See if any of the differences matter to you.

If you don't understand a difference or aren't sure if a difference matters to you, research it.

Oh and since you are buying the camera for course work, see if the college has any information possted on what features are needed in the camera used for the courses.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Compare the features of the cameras you are looking at. DP Review has a camera comparison page that allows you to select cameras to compare. See what is different about the cameras. See if any of the differences matter to you.

If you don't understand a difference or aren't sure if a difference matters to you, research it.

Oh and since you are buying the camera for course work, see if the college has any information possted on what features are needed in the camera used for the courses.
True, the comparison I just done is making me lean towards the 600D over the other two. I'll ask the college if there's any features the camera has to have, any more advice? Thanks.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
A basic Canon Powershot. :(

Ah - I was only asking because really, the camera isn't the most important factor in the image. The photographer is obviously the most important, and then second is the glass.

I'd personally get the 60D especially as its at a really good price - just forget its a few years old, it's still got just as good image quality as the 700D.

Whatever you do, I would get the camera body only - skip the kit lens and buy a 50mm f1.8 which is a great piece of glass for the price and will help you improve your skills by not relying on zoom.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Ah - I was only asking because really, the camera isn't the most important factor in the image. The photographer is obviously the most important, and then second is the glass.

I'd personally get the 60D especially as its at a really good price - just forget its a few years old, it's still got just as good image quality as the 700D.

Whatever you do, I would get the camera body only - skip the kit lens and buy a 50mm f1.8 which is a great piece of glass for the price and will help you improve your skills by not relying on zoom.
Canon EOS 600D - £445.45
Canon EOS 60D - £799.30
Canon EOS 700D - £685.51

How come the 60D is more expensive though?

Usually you think "the newer the more expensive it is" XD.

I do know what you mean, I've taken some awesome photographs with such a basic camera mind you. :)

I can get a 6D (body only) on amazon.co.uk for £607.04 - I can also buy a Canon EF-S Zoom Lens 18 mm - 55 mm - f/3.5-5.6 IS MK II lens for £133.00.

Besides with the 6D - I can always buy the lens you mentioned in a few months time. :p

Good idea?

Last edited:

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
I buy all my stuff from Digital Depot - they are a fantastic shop in Stevenage (ship anywhere in the UK) and all their stock is official (not grey imported) and with an extended 2 year warranty.

Here's the link for the 60D from them for £599.99 -

There's also £65 cashback from Canon so the price after that would be £535 - very good value.

Personally, I would get the 60D with a 50mm f1.8 (£81 on Amazon) and then after a bit of use you will begin to get an idea of the focal length you need for your next lens.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I buy all my stuff from Digital Depot - they are a fantastic shop in Stevenage (ship anywhere in the UK) and all their stock is official (not grey imported) and with an extended 2 year warranty.

Here's the link for the 60D from them for £599.99 -

There's also £65 cashback from Canon so the price after that would be £535 - very good value.

Personally, I would get the 60D with a 50mm f1.8 (£81 on Amazon) and then after a bit of use you will begin to get an idea of the focal length you need for your next lens.
Thanks for the link, I'll buy the camera from Amazon, sorry. :p

What lens is better? 50mm f1.8 or the Canon EF-S Zoom Lens 18 mm - 55 mm lens?

Will the above lenses work with other Canon SLR cameras? How do I know what lenses work with each cameras?

Thanks.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Thanks for the link, I'll buy the camera from Amazon, sorry. :p

What lens is better? 50mm f1.8 or the Canon EF-S Zoom Lens 18 mm - 55 mm lens?

Will the above lenses work with other Canon SLR cameras? How do I know what lenses work with each cameras?

Thanks.

Canon make two types of lenses for their DSLR's - EF lenses and EF-S lenses.

EF-S lenses will work on crop body cameras only and not full frame ones like the 5D, 6D and 1D.

EF lenses will work on both crop body cameras like the 60D and 700D, and with full frame cameras.

The reason I wouldn't get the 18-55mm is that, at least for me, I found that I wanted to upgrade it very quickly. The 50mm f1.8 has superb optics for the price, and it forces you to concentrate on moving around to get the right framing and composition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.