Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Apple Halting Mac Component Orders Due to Overestimated Demand?

And DUH Apple REALLY IS simply selling overpriced, underspec'd, uninnovative products now and has been for two years, getting worse and worse.
I have to disagree with you there. I think that Apple products offer a lot of value. I know a lot of people who bought Galaxy phones who prefer their old iPhone. On the PC side, I think that Apple's software, hardware and support are all better than what WinTel offers. I had a Toshiba laptop that always crashed on shutdown. And it was a corporate laptop; the crash happened with all of our Toshiba laptops. So I called Toshiba. They told me (seriously) that they would not support me at all, because I'd installed software onto the computer! (seriously, they really did that).

Yes, I wasn't impressed with Apple's last product launch. I frankly thought it was pretty stupid: "Here's our new 13-inch laptop, it starts at $1,500, and here's our new $1,200+ iMac, look how thin it is!" The only value they offered was with the iPad Mini, and their sales success backs that up.

I wouldn't throw in the towel on Apple by any means. I didn't like their last product launch, but I still like the products very much.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Words can't express how happy I've been with my 2010 Macbook Pro. My wife is equally happy with her 2009. If the thing stopped working or was bogged down like a Windows machine, I'd be buying a new one, but at this rate it feels like this thing has another 5 or 6 years in it easily. One thing is for certain, there absolutely will be another Macbook Pro in my future, it is just a matter of when. All of the fanboy comments that criticize Apple for not having the best specs or claiming their products are way overpriced are usually from people who have never used one of their products. I know, because I was one of those critics until I suggested my wife check out a Macbook in 2009. Only after I saw just how much she loved that product did I understand the value of Apple computers.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Haven't read everything, but maybe demand would be higher if there was actually something to really differentiate the desktop Macs from their portable counterparts? Apart from a larger screen and a big aluminum foot, what's in the iMac that isn't in a MacBook Pro?

And indeed, it seems there was no significant bump in specs from last year at least. There's nothing compelling about the current models yet, and losing functionality isn't appealing to me. Where is the 4-core i7 in the 13", for example?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
$1999 is embarrassing for a 13" laptop with 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM.

If you educate yourself on the price of laptops, I wont't need to. If you think that adding a retina screen to a laptop allows you to charge twice that of a comparable laptop, you must work for Apple.

8gb of RAM was $60, from newegg. Prices went up, but Apple buys in bulk, so I doubt they're paying more than $60 for 8gb.

A 256gb SSD can be as little as $200, again from Newegg.

A Dell with a dedicated GPU and 5 hours of battery life is around $600. You are literally paying over $1000 for a slimmer yet inferior product in practically every way except the screen.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Perhaps if said Macs were cutting edge in terms of performance and value instead of simply design, demand would not be an issue.

Just sayin'.

I agree and those extortionate BTO prices need to go.

I see no reason why they shouldn't be using Caviar Black drives in the iMac and 7200rpm Hitachi Travelstar drives in Mac Mini and Macbook line as standard because there's a 1Tb version now and their BTO prices for SSDs should reflect the retail cost of the SSDs used - the cost of the HDD they replace.

Standard RAM should be upped too. Their prices are a joke.

When I come to replace my Mac Mini with a newer model, the first thing I'll be doing is adding 16Gb RAM myself and either swapping the 5400rpm drive for 2 500Gb SSDs in RAID 0 set or at least a 250Gb SSD and a 1Tb 7200 drive and putting whatever drive it came with in a USB case for backup.

That's if they don't actually listen to their hobby and enthusiast users on a budget and finally bring out an entry level Mac Pro with a solid 20,000+ geekbench score at around the £1,500 price point.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
More expensive justifiable IMHO as it does have a touch screen, which Macs don't have and touchscreen have to be comparably more expensive vs a regular screen for the same resolution!!

Touchscreen alone makes it worth $100 less. :D

Just imagine that maybe, just maybe, there is a reason why Apple doesn't use touch screens for their laptops. And you will be surprised that there are two: Dirty fingers, and gorilla arm.

cat3600

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
Touchscreen alone makes it worth $100 less. :D

Just imagine that maybe, just maybe, there is a reason why Apple doesn't use touch screens for their laptops. And you will be surprised that there are two: Dirty fingers, and gorilla arm.

Please comment after you use such a system instead of making a statement blindly. This is the exact same kind of statements people made when the ipad came out and now look where the tablet market is and also the same could have been or was said when the first iPhone came out with touch screen.

Firstly Apple does not have a touch centric OS X capable OS and the way the market is shifting, Apple is guaranteed to have all touch based iMacs etc in the next 2 years. Also all these new laptops or all-in-one pcs fold, lay flat, slide and articulate in different ways for a seamless touch centric capable device.

This gorilla hands comment does not apply anymore and could have to a static monitor which did not move and none of these devises are such. When it comes to fingerprints, don't you wipe your ipad or iphone, the same theory applies to anything with a touch screen!!!

Also ever follow any science fiction channels, movies, CSI TV serials even look at the movies Avatar etc. Everyone is using some sort of Touch computer, this is the future. Most technologies which have evolved over the years, one could experience in Star Wars, Star-trek and movies like Blade Runner etc. and it seemed weird or impossible is already here mostly.

Last edited:

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Please comment after you use such a system instead of making a statement blindly. This is the exact same kind of statements people made when the ipad came out and now look where the tablet market is and also the same could have been or was said when the first iPhone came out with touch screen.

Firstly Apple does not have a touch centric OS X capable OS and the way the market is shifting, Apple is guaranteed to have all touch based iMacs etc in the next 2 years. Also all these new laptops or all-in-one pcs fold, lay flat, slide and articulate in different ways for a seamless touch centric capable device.

This gorilla hands comment does not apply anymore and could have to a static monitor which did not move and none of these devises are such. When it comes to fingerprints, don't you wipe your ipad or iphone, the same theory applies to anything with a touch screen!!!

Also ever follow any science fiction channels, movies, CSI TV serials even look at the movies Avatar etc. Everyone is using some sort of Touch computer, this is the future. Most technologies which have evolved over the years, one could experience in Star Wars, Star-trek and movies like Blade Runner etc. and it seemed weird or impossible is already here mostly.

Put me down for a Mila Kunis basic pleasure model but make sure it isn't a nexus 6, they're batty :D

bart4u

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
Mac

I have been a loyal Mac user since 92. I am a creative professional and my main computer is my G5 Tower. Apple has completely abandoned the professional market. We were their core group long ago before the IPod and the Iphone. In our todays market one can get faster performance from a PC at a cheaper rate. I believe a top of the line Asus laptop computer is a faster computer compared to my Mac. It will run both Lightroom and Photoshop quicker. I will need a new computer soon and I do not know what I am going to do. I will most likely say good buy to Mac if they do not update the tower soon.

rixax

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I have been a loyal Mac user since 92. I am a creative professional and my main computer is my G5 Tower. Apple has completely abandoned the professional market. We were their core group long ago before the IPod and the Iphone. In our todays market one can get faster performance from a PC at a cheaper rate. I believe a top of the line Asus laptop computer is a faster computer compared to my Mac. It will run both Lightroom and Photoshop quicker. I will need a new computer soon and I do not know what I am going to do. I will most likely say good buy to Mac if they do not update the tower soon.

Agreed, since Apple (Job-less) became Macs-R-Us the pros have been patiently (or not) waiting for a major boost. This was (and could still be) the driving force in longevity for Apple.

Renzatic

Suspended
Put me down for a Mila Kunis basic pleasure model but make sure it isn't a nexus 6, they're batty :D

Don't knock crazy til you've tried it.
arms.gif

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
A question of integrity....

I still say shame on Mac Rumors for continuing to insist that June 2012 was a major new update to the Mac Pro, when Apple (itself) stated that the Mac Pro was only a minor upgrade to the line.

So, it's really not 352 days since the last major upgrade, but it is 352 plus 685 days since the last upgrade or simply 1013 days since a major new upgrade has occurred to the Mac Pro line.

Mac Rumors should really consider changing their statistics to reflect the true history of upgrades to this line. It is rather misleading and I hope that the staff and executives at Mac Rumors realizes that this issue continues to question Mac Rumors reputation. Why does Mac Rumors continue to allow this one issue to cloud their otherwise outstanding integrity and trustworthiness that we have otherwise witnessed on this site?

Sincerely,
neversink, (currently in Nairobi, Kenya)

----------

So sad for Apple.... and for all of us who need a new Mac Pro....
1013 days (and counting) is much too long for a major update to the top of the line Apple computer. That's like watching glaciers advance and recede during the ice age.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I still say shame on Mac Rumors for continuing to insist that June 2012 was a major new update to the Mac Pro, when Apple (itself) stated that the Mac Pro was only a minor upgrade to the line.

So, it's really not 352 days since the last major upgrade, but it is 352 plus 685 days since the last upgrade or simply 1013 days since a major new upgrade has occurred to the Mac Pro line.

Mac Rumors should really consider changing their statistics to reflect the true history of upgrades to this line. It is rather misleading and I hope that the staff and executives at Mac Rumors realizes that this issue continues to question Mac Rumors reputation. Why does Mac Rumors continue to allow this one issue to cloud their otherwise outstanding integrity and trustworthiness that we have otherwise witnessed on this site?

Even minor updates get added to the Mac Buyer's Guide, as can be seen in the Retina MacBook Pro listing. The MacPro's recommendation was changed back to "Don't Buy" as soon as it became clear last year's minor update was only a stopgap until a redesigned Mac Pro is released sometime in 2013.

In light of the disappointing update with processors that are still several years old, we have tweaked our Buyer's Guide recommendations to suggest that users able to hold off until next year for a more significant update do so instead of purchasing the just-updated but still outdated Mac Pro models.

Recommendation
Don't Buy - Still outdated, next possible update in 2013

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/1...c-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-coming-in-2013/

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Even minor updates get added to the Mac Buyer's Guide, as can be seen in the Retina MacBook Pro listing. The MacPro's recommendation was changed back to "Don't Buy" as soon as it became clear last year's minor update was only a stopgap until a redesigned Mac Pro is released sometime in 2013.

I understand, but that skews the real turnaround average for products and is still playing with statistics. And the retina was more of an upgrade due to the screen than the Mac Pro was... But if that was a minor upgrade then the Don't Buy sign should have been posted on that MBP at the time. However, the new screen was considered enough of an upgrade by many.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Agreed, since Apple (Job-less) became Macs-R-Us the pros have been patiently (or not) waiting for a major boost. This was (and could still be) the driving force in longevity for Apple.
It's true. Apple used to run ads about how you should edit your home movies on a Mac, because its the computer they used to make Lord of the Rings. Now, they could care less about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.