Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported that various production issues will likely result in launches of Apple's iPhone 5S, lower-cost iPhone, and second-generation iPad mini coming somewhat later than many observers have been expecting. In particular, Kuo claimed that issues with color coatings for the fingerprint sensor said to be included on the iPhone 5S are likely to push back that device's launch from a June/July timeframe to perhaps September or later.

authentec_cross_section-800x507.jpg
TruePrint fingerprint sensing technology from AuthenTec, acquired by Apple in 2012
Reuters today published a new report highlighting how Apple's suppliers are working hard to reduce their reliance on Apple as uncertainty about demand for Apple's products presents challenges for these companies. As part of the report, Reuters shares word from Apple's iPhone suppliers painting a nearly identical picture to that shared by Kuo earlier this month.
Supplier sources in Japan and Taiwan, home to dozens of Apple suppliers, said they initially expected mass-production of the next iPhone to begin in June.

That date may have begun to slip beyond June, the sources said. The phone, widely referred to as the iPhone 5S, is expected to include new features such as a fingerprint sensor. A supply chain source in Taiwan said Apple was trying to find a coating material that did not interfere with the fingerprint sensor, and this may be causing a delay.
Regarding Apple's lower-cost iPhone, a Japanese supplier informed Reuters that "small-scale production" of displays for the device will begin in May, with mass production beginning the following month. As has been reported by other sources, Reuters' sources claim that the lower-cost iPhone will use the same 4-inch display as the iPhone 5S, but lack the fingerprint sensor and use a plastic casing.

Article Link: More Claims of 'Delays' for iPhone 5S Over Fingerprint Sensor Issues

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
I like how analysts call it a delay when the new date they are making up is later than the previous date they made up.

Good times.

bradgfromboo

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Next iPhone is gonna be IMMENSE!!!
Don't care what the haters say :D:D

Immensely disappointing... But they gotta keep up with the recent trend so it makes sense...

iPhone 5S -> Fingerprint reader
iPhone 6 -> Extra row of icons

Can't wait for the excitement

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Does this mean they really are going to implement this new hardware-feature in the iPhone 5S? Anyway, I hope it won't delay the iPad 5. I could not care less about having a fingerprint-sensor on any iDevice.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I'm not worried. Apple is still making billions and billions and billions of dollars in profit, and that is all that matters to a true fan. That is the reason why we all fell madly in love with Apple in the first place.

/s

Last edited:

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Immensely disappointing... But they gotta keep up with the recent trend so it makes sense...

iPhone 5S -> Fingerprint reader
iPhone 6 -> Extra row of icons

Can't wait for the excitement

Someone already created a mockup of this trend. The phone becomes difficult to use when it gets over 4 feet long.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
If the rumors are true, I hope Apple takes the time to get the coating on the fingerprint sensor right the first time.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I like how analysts call it a delay when the new date they are making up is later than the previous date they made up.

Good times.

Yep.

Or how when the iPhone doesn't come out with this sensor because it was never going to, they will say again there were issues.

How they are bad mouthing reports of reduced demand compared to last quarter forgetting that holiday is like 70% of annual sales so of course now will be lower

And so on.

Today is also known as 'last change to get the price lower to buy stock before it might go up tomorrow'. Just hope they aren't as greedy as the guy last fall that bankrupted his employers and now faces prison for stock fraud.

blabliblu

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2013
I'm not worried. Apple is still making billions and billions and billions of dollars in profit, and that is all that matters to a true fan. That is the reason why we all fell madly in love with Apple in the first place.

Yep, I saw your comment, I saw your photo, I saw your face...

That's it, after having used Apple product for 10 years I'm definitely switching to PC and Nexus.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
So the iPhone 5S/6 will be introduced in June/July, or in September, or some time this year. It may or may not include a fingerprint sensor, and may or may not have production issues.

There you go! I'm an analyst!

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
This is what happens when you waste your time adding "revolutionary new features" that most people couldn't care less about.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I guess I am one of the few who never thought they were going to release a phone this summer anyways since they switched to the fall release schedule with the 4S.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
What a gimmick. Who's going to drool over a fingerprint sensor once the novelty wears off?

Much rather un updated lock screen, meaning a proper OS update.

nicmr

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Guessing game

I don't know if it will include a fingerprint sensor or not, but if it will, I hope it will be well tested. I don't plan making payments on a immature technology. :cool:

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
You know what would be cool? Slide to unlock+fingerprint identification! All you do is unlock your phone as alway but now you wouldn't have to type in any password!

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
This is another reason why I stick with :apple: products; they don't rush out a new technology until they are satisfied it works well. Most Android vendors will just push it out as-is and fix it on-the-fly...maybe.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham

Absolutely.
Billions, trillions iZillions... bwa ha ha ha ha.

I'm going to go read some old copies of MacUser magazine.

nycmi

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
This is another reason why I stick with :apple: products; they don't rush out a new technology until they are satisfied it works well. Most Android vendors will just push it out as-is and fix it on-the-fly...maybe.

Except for Apple Maps right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.