Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in September 2010, our sister site AppShopper launched a dedicated iOS app offering users easy access to app-tracking features such as updates and price changes. But after two years on the App Store, Apple removed AppShopper in late 2012, citing a rule against apps that could be confused with Apple's own App Store app.
Apps that display Apps other than your own for purchase or promotion in a manner similar to or confusing with the App Store will be rejected.
Since that time, several other developers such as AppGratis have seen their apps removed from the App Store, reportedly as part of a broader crackdown on app discovery apps.

Over the past several months, the AppShopper team has been reworking the app to add a more social component, and that effort is now showing up with today's launch of a brand-new app, AppShopper Social.

appshopper_social_11.jpg
The Next Web has more on the return of AppShopper:
The new app, called App Shopper Social, makes social recommendations indispensable, rather than optional. When you launch the app, in fact, there is no list of apps waiting for you. Instead, the app recommends that you follow the App Shopper account, which is one of several curated lists ready at launch. Others include Macrumors, 148apps and Toucharcade, all of which provide a steady stream of apps that can be 'owned' or 'want listed'. Each of the apps has a rating from one or more of those feeds, as well as an App Store rating. This allows users to say, get a friend's rating, Toucharcade's rating and the App Store rating all side-by-side.
appshopper_social_2.jpg
A blog post at AppShopper notes that this 1.0 version of AppShopper Social brings back much of the core functionality of the original AppShopper app but that a number of features such as native iPad support and Top 200 lists are not included. Those features will be brought back in future updates.
In the 1.0 version, we're aware that there are several obvious features that are absent. Top on our priority list is the ability to browse friends' lists individually by tapping on their name. Also, an easier method for friend discovery and friend recommendation are also something that is clearly necessary. Even without these features, AppShopper Social is an incredibly useful tool for App Discovery, but there's a lot of potential to be even better.

We lost a lot of momentum with the removal of our App Store app, so we'd ask you to spread the word on AppShopper Social. A large user base will guarantee future updates and improvements.
AppShopper Social is available now as a free download in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: AppShopper Returns to the App Store With 'AppShopper Social' for iOS

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
A great workaround for Apple's stupid rules. I wish that an iPad version is coming!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Instead of going to the media to complain like a 5 year old who's parent won't buy them another toy, why can't AppGratis just do this (if in fact their company is doing nothing wrong)?

The App (App Shopper Social) looks nice, good job.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Phew

I was really missing appshopper on my iPhone (which I lost when I had to do a restore)

My iPad version is still intact and i'm eager to try the new social features. Welcome back.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
If you follow "macrumors", it shows any apps we've mentioned in articles in real time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 193

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Did apple see app sales drop after this crackdown so they decide to ease up on it? Personally for me it's quite hard to find apps on App Store, given that I know what I want the app to do but I dont know the exact name of it or if it even exists...usually I need to go to google and figure it out that way before going to App Store as even if you make a typo in a name it won't find it...it's great for angry birds and other popular time killing apps but not so much more serious apps that might not be in top 10 or so....at least for now apple needs these app discovery apps

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Did apple see app sales drop after this crackdown so they decide to ease up on it? Personally for me it's quite hard to find apps on App Store, given that I know what I want the app to do but I dont know the exact name of it or if it even exists...usually I need to go to google and figure it out that way before going to App Store as even if you make a typo in a name it won't find it...it's great for angry birds and other popular time killing apps but not so much more serious apps that might not be in top 10 or so....at least for now apple needs these app discovery apps

The App Store should allow video previews of the apps.

abhsc

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
Maybe the indexes are taking some time to update, but a direct search of the app name "appshopper social" does not return any results in the ios 6.1 app store app. I had to type in the direct link URL in safari on the iphone to get the app.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'm curious as to why Appshopper was taken down in the first place, and how this version gets around that.

Download it while you can?

How much are they paying MR to post to this on the front page?

Nothing, MR owns them...

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I don't understand why Apple removed an app that leads directly to app sales.

It's like you own a business and there's a guy outside telling everyone about your specials and pointing folks to your restaurant. For free... and telling him to leave.

WTF? Anyway, good to see the app is back.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
There are so many app discovery apps that someone needs to come up with an app to discover the best app discovery app.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
so lets get more feeds going so it works just as good as the OG appshopper. so far OG appshopper shows more then appshopper social and ive added macrumors, appshopper, 148apps and toucharcade

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Nothing, they are both owned by arn.

Must be nice to own the biggest apple news website when you're also publishing apps for apple's platforms.

I've already figured out the media controls the world... What I can't figure out is how to get in it myself.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
so lets get more feeds going so it works just as good as the OG appshopper. so far OG appshopper shows more then appshopper social and ive added macrumors, appshopper, 148apps and toucharcade

a few indexing issues. "appshopper" the user should ultimately be identical to original appshopper "popular". Hopefully be reflected in a few minutes.

arn

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
a few indexing issues. "appshopper" the user should ultimately be identical to original appshopper "popular". Hopefully be reflected in a few minutes.

arn

good to hear, ill check back later on.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Great news. Welcome back AppShopper. Finally, iPhone 5 support too :)

I've been hanging on to my old copy of AppShopper ever since. Seeing as how this looks like a proper replacement, I guess it's safe now to finally retire and delete the old app on my iPhone then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.