Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a devastating earthquake that struck in Sichuan, China over the weekend, Apple has donated 50 million RMB or approximately $8 million to affected victims.

applechina.jpg
In addition to the donation, Apple has also updated the front page of its Chinese website to express its condolences and to offer schools in the area new Apple devices. Tech In Asia has a translation of the message:
At this difficult time, our hearts are with the victims of the Sichuan earthquake. Aside from the cash donation to help the affected people to tide over their difficulties, we are committed to providing new Apple devices to schools in the disaster area, and Apple employees in the locality are on stand-by at any time to help.
Donations during disasters are not uncommon for Apple, with the company previously offering relief money to victims struck by tragedy on several occasions.

Apple has had a strained relationship with China in recent months, after the company's iPhone warranty policies were highly criticized in the country, though the tensions were relieved in early April when Apple CEO Tim Cook wrote a letter to customers announcing changes to the warranty policy.

The earthquake, which measured between 6.6 and 7.0, struck the city of Ya'an in the Sichuan province on Saturday, causing hundreds of casualties and widespread destruction.

Article Link: Apple Donates $8 Million to Chinese Earthquake Victims

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I wonder how many "well with Apple's millions, is this all they can donate?" comments we get. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Quite a lot, it seems.

Last edited:

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
good gesture yes, but wth?? they donate more oversees than to domestic causes? its their money to do with as they wish, but really... smh...

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Well a win win I guess. Great for Apple's marketing and great for the earthquake relief.

mpick92

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
"They help us make billions of dollars every year... yeah a fraction of a cent on the dollar should do..." - Apple

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Call me cynical, but I think this is just to offset some of the heat they're facing in China.

Obviously a good use of their money though.

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006
Good job, Apple. Help other countries when in need but don't help your own country when there's a disaster.:mad:

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Makes me wonder why they never donate to...hmm... let say Ethiopia ;) , which by the way don't have that $$$godzilion$$$ sitting in their banks quite oppose to China

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I knew reading these comments would be a bad idea, yet I just couldn't help myself.

Rather than picking them apart for what they haven't done, why not commend them for helping?

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
There will undoubtedly be an onslaught of annoying people complaining that they should have given more. And what exactly have you given? (to those complaining that haven't given).

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I'm not bashing them for giving more. I only wonder whether or not they would have given any money to them at all if it weren't for the bad PR they are receiving from the Chinese national government right now. Trying to maintain a foothold in their #2 market. Kind of like the Dutch boy trying to keep his finger in the dam.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
good gesture yes, but wth?? they donate more oversees than to domestic causes? its their money to do with as they wish, but really... smh...

You do realize that Apple is an international company with more revenue overseas than domestic.

Anyhow, good going Apple. You can always be cynical about why they do it, but I don't the people who gets aid in a dire situation really cares why, just that they get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.