Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

downloadlater.jpg
Apple has added a new 'download later' prompt to large media purchases made in iTunes or on the mobile iTunes Store, reports Macworld.

The new prompt appears when purchasing movies, TV shows, TV Season Passes, full TV seasons, movie bundles, and music box sets.
When purchasing any of the above items using iTunes 11 on a Mac or Windows PC, or an iOS device running iOS 6 or later, you're now presented with Later and Download (or Download All) buttons. Tap Later and the purchased items will be added to your iTunes account and accessible to stream or download in the future via Apple's iTunes in the Cloud feature. It's a handy feature if you, say, want to buy a movie on sale while you have a spotty data connection; you can make sure to get the cheaper price, then download the item when you get home--or even just play it from the cloud.
The prompt only appears for users in countries that support iTunes in the Cloud for the type of media they are purchasing.

Article Link: Apple Adds 'Download Later' Option to Large Purchases on Mobile iTunes Store

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
It would be nice if this worked on large app purchases as well. Sometimes I try download an app when it's on sale but if its too large I have to remember to download it later.

aniltotalk

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
That's a nice addition

I always kinda wanted this feature.. espicially when there is sale on gaming apps.. and I am not on Wifi.... It should have been there always... yeah..:D

Oops.. I spoke it early.. not applicable on apps.. damn

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
FINALLY. Been waiting for this ever since movies and TV shows became available on iCloud. I even sent Apple feedback for this feature numerous times. I no longer store any of copies (except for iTunes Extras) on my local storage anymore since everything went iCloud and it's such a complete waste of bandwidth to force users to download items right after purchase. It's all about streaming now.

Thank you, Apple. Next: add iTunes movies/TV shows streaming to iOS!

----------

I always kinda wanted this feature.. espicially when there is sale on gaming apps.. and I am not on Wifi.... It should have been there always... yeah..:D

Oops.. I spoke it early.. not applicable on apps.. damn

I forgot about the apps "...over 50MB" issue over cellular. I know exactly how you feel. Yet another good reason to have this feature!

Edit: Nevermind, i quoted you too early as well lol. Well, hopefully they extend this to apps soon then.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I hope this will allow the purchase of iPad apps on an iPhone. I get told about apparently great apps while out and about and have my iPhone on me, but forget about them before getting back to my iPad.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
It would be nice to add this functionality to apps! I don't have WiFi access at work, but if I see an app >50MB that I want to install from work, I have to wait. Even though I have an unlimited data plan! Ugh... :mad:

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Very excited for this, BUT I want it for apps too!

I hate when I'm out and about (or roaming) and see a $9.99 app on-sale for 99 cents, but I can't get it since it's too big.

(Or it's an iPad app and I'm on my iPhone).

Gary

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Does this mean I can now just stream content without ever having to download it? I've bought a lot of movies and tv shows and the hd versions really eat into your hard drive space so not having to download a hd tv series and just stream it instead would be a tremendous benefit.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Its a about time! A great feature. I am going to look forward to this during areas with bad wifi coverage.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
Finally!

Just last week I had to contact iTunes Store support to clear my download queue because I did not want to download entire 200Gb of certain TV show in HD...

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Netflix

I was Netflix had something similar, "watch later", kind of a list of things you find while browsing but don't intend to watch right away.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
This is great!

However, an even better addition to this is as others have stated above:

Include large Apps and the Ability to purchase/download later Apps for the iPad.

Also would be nice to include "WISHLIST" feature. There are many times when I see a cool app and might want to purchase but not at that moment...or want to review later. Apps for kids that look GREAT but think "my son is too young now" I could buy now and hope in a few years he is still into it or just wait—and FORGET about it and thus no purchase.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
How about an "Ignore update" option for apps so that little badge will go away for that one app that you refuse to update because the new version is horrible?

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Great now devs can stop worrying about keeping file sized obnoxiously small for the sake of cellular downloads (Super stickman golf 2, no retina on iPad).

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
About time.

No joke. Now they need to drop the auto downloads on computers, especially since you can stream them. And let us pick the download quality. I buy the HD sets for my big screen and Apple TV but they are wasted space on my iPad where the SD looks just as good. But it's a pain to get it to download the SD. Which sucks cause in iOS 5 the choice came up. Plus it would help if they gave us an option for the same 'show iTunes in the cloud' in iOS that you can do on the computer. And even let us just stream titles

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
This is sort of off topic, but if Apple can add a "Download Later" option to mobile, then surely they can add the "Wishlist" feature?

I've been waiting on a mobile "Wishlist" feature forever...I use it a lot on my Mac iTunes.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Also would be nice to include "WISHLIST" feature.

Even better, not only let you add apps etc to wish list but if you buy anything that is on a list, take it off the list and give you the option to receive alerts if the price changes. So you see any app that might be great when junior starts talking and writing but he was just born, you put it on your list to buy when he's older but then it goes down in price on a special sale, you get alert and can get it now. If they did that and added a way to search for free apps and/or by age/category folks wouldn't need things like appshopper.

And another good one would be if you buy a show season and the show does a box set, count your purchase towards that with complete my season, letting you download the added features etc. breaking bad pulled this move as well as doctor who with features they didn't release during the season and as it stands folks have to buy eps they don't need to get them cause they are 'season only' and there's no way to buy just the features.

----------

Great now devs can stop worrying about keeping file sized obnoxiously small for the sake of cellular downloads (Super stickman golf 2, no retina on iPad).

I like the way Temple Run Oz did it. The original download was 'SD' but when I opened the app it recognized I was on an iPad and offered me a download of the 'HD' images, no cost. I wish more apps would do that. It would be a great way to save space say in an iPhone since often you can't tell any difference on a screen that small.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.