Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Yep, that's what it says.

Attachments

• iPadStaples.JPG
    iPadStaples.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 572

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Norton Everywhere??? good grief...

I don't see anything about antivirus anywhere.

iOS Apps:

Norton Family [-]
Get the official Norton Family app for iOS so you can keep an eye on your kids’ online activities wherever you are. Access your Norton Family account anytime, anywhere from your iPhone® iPad™ or iPod touch.®
Find it on the Itunes Store >

Norton Identity Safe [-]
Norton™ Identity Safe remembers and secures your user names, passwords, and more, so you can quickly and easily access your favorite websites from both PCs and mobile devices.
Find out more >

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
That is insane. Really almost criminal. I work at best buy and we setup iPads and computers absolutely free. And no there is absolutely no antivirus for the iPad. It's a lie. I wonder if this is a manager doing this or if it's actually a store wide setup. :confused: either way I feel bad for people who end up paying for this.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
That is insane. Really almost criminal. I work at best buy and we setup iPads and computers absolutely free. And no there is absolutely no antivirus for the iPad. It's a lie. I wonder if this is a manager doing this or if it's actually a store wide setup. :confused: either way I feel bad for people who end up paying for this.

Yes, it is a lie (this thread). No one appears to be informed about what is being offered.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Maybe it was a typo and they ment to put an Android Tablet instead?

That I can see. Someone not knowing the differences in tablets so they go with the popular named tablet.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
It was the Staples at Gerrard Square in Toronto, Canada.

Can't figure out what's worse, $99 for an iPad setup vs a phantom 3 user iPad anti virus install.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I work for Best Buy Mobile and it would be like me saying ok to turn on your iPhone activate it and make sure it is linked to your phone number and working the charge is $99. Are people that ingnorate lol. Also if some one buys an iPad yes we will turn it on and set it up and running before you walk out of the store for free. Both the mobile and computer department do this it's called our "walk out working" or as we call it wow for short. This is down right criminal what Staples is charging. Don't even get me started about the Norton they are so called offering. Norton has and will always be horible in my book and I wouldn't let them near my iPad under any circumstances.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, it is a lie (this thread). No one appears to be informed about what is being offered.

Regardless of the antivirus bit, it is still a scam. Turning in and setting up an iPad is five minutes of step by step work. If you don't have an Apple ID it is maybe a couple minutes more but it is still step by step. If you can't figure at least the basic setup by yourself maybe you aren't smart enough to have an iPad

The Norton Family app is an alert for what is happening on your computer and unneeded by many users and both apps are free.

So unless they are giving you a couple of hours of training or including AppleCare+ it's not worth the price

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Regardless of the antivirus bit, it is still a scam. Turning in and setting up an iPad is five minutes of step by step work. If you don't have an Apple ID it is maybe a couple minutes more but it is still step by step. If you can't figure at least the basic setup by yourself maybe you aren't smart enough to have an iPad

The Norton Family app is an alert for what is happening on your computer and unneeded by many users and both apps are free.

So unless they are giving you a couple of hours of training or including AppleCare+ it's not worth the price

I completely agree that $99 is highway robbery...and there will be many people that will presume difficulty since it is a new technology to them and hand over the fee.

That being said, I don't believe that the setup of an iPad is quite as simple as many people, or Apple for that matter, make it out to be.

I have set up probably 40-50 iOS devices over the years, ranging from the iPod Touch to iPhones to iPads. Just before Christmas, my kitchen counter looked like an assembly line of 8 iPads lined up as I set up each for gifts. I can do it out of memory in a matter of a couple of minutes.

BUT...many people quickly become VERY VERY confused about email addresses and passwords...
Apple ID
The @icloud.com address
The @me.com address
Any existing email address(es)
Facebook username
etc...

Never mind all the passwords, case sensitivity, etc. etc.

Remember, you are on this chat board as a (likely) tech buff. You know your way around a Mac, PC, tablet, etc. You can set up a wifi connection. But most people can't!

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
maybe if it included a warranty of some sort, but yeah i agree. that's a rip off

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I work for Best Buy Mobile and it would be like me saying ok to turn on your iPhone activate it and make sure it is linked to your phone number and working the charge is $99. Are people that ingnorate lol. Also if some one buys an iPad yes we will turn it on and set it up and running before you walk out of the store for free. Both the mobile and computer department do this it's called our "walk out working" or as we call it wow for short. This is down right criminal what Staples is charging. Don't even get me started about the Norton they are so called offering. Norton has and will always be horible in my book and I wouldn't let them near my iPad under any circumstances.

Wanna hear "ingnorate"?People letting themselves be talked into criminally overpriced Monster cables at best buy.Or how about the BB employee I talked to after the 1st iPad came out(wifi)while waiting a few weeks for the release of my preordered 3g iPad.Swore the 3G 1st gen would have a camera,but"nobody knows about it yet".Then he said he was going to"crack open"his wifi iPad and INSTALL A FREAKING CAMERA."There's a spot for it in there that's just empty."I intended to go back after the 3g models shipped and laugh in his face but never got around to it.

I'm really sorry you have to work there and hope you find honest employment soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.