Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix announced today that it is rolling out a number of family friendly features in the coming months, designed to make it easier for families with multiple Netflix users to use the service.

netflix2.jpg
First, the company is introducing a new $12/month streaming plan that offers four simultaneous streams of video, meant for members with large families that run into Netflix's two-simultaneous stream limit. The normal Netflix subscription is $8/month.

Second, the company is introducing a new feature to allow different family members to log their own viewing habits and get recommendations based on what shows they like. Currently, all viewer activity -- parents and kids -- are combined into one stream. As a result, recommendations for kids shows and adult movies are shown next to each other.

Netflix reported today that it has 29.2 million U.S. streaming subscribers, with shares up close to 25 precent after hours.

Article Link: Netflix Launches Family Plan, 4 Simultaneous Streams for $12/Month

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
That's a pretty good deal. I have an Apple TV on two TVs, smart tv on a third and an Apple TV on the projector in the garage, so I might actually consider upgrading. Better than having to buy an additional sub, which I had considered in the past because once in a while we'll run up against the limit.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
Don't see why I would use this, but good for others who would use it and need it i guess

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
Um, or I can use my friends login that he shares with multiple people and doing for the past year and a half for free?

Edit: Never ran into the " two-simultaneous " limit. Maybe i'm just lucky.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
This is a really nice feature, not just the streams, but the different logging of viewing habits.

Really nice for people who don't want their kids seeing films show up "because you liked 'Saw'' or something on their feeds haha.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
didnt even know they blocked it, been using a friends for years and he never complained that he couldnt watch sth

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
I am not aware of any two stream limit haha.

I know people who have theirs connected to at least 4-5 different devices that use them all the time. I myself have used mine with more than 2, is this something new perhaps?

Fatherof5ive

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
I didn't have a problem with the two concurrent stream limit until this past month (or two?). I plan on upgrading my account.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
how do i share my accounts right now then? i think like 3 of friends already use my account and we watch simultaniously

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
People are seriously too cheap for eight bucks a month? Wow.

One of the reasons is an artifact of all-you-can-eat buffet pricing model. Such model, even if it's fairly priced, can discourage light users altogether. Light users don't want to feel like they are subsidizing heavy users.

Second legitimate reason (other than being cheap)? Some (including myself) are underwhelmed by current Netflix streaming library.

Last edited:

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
One of the reasons is an artifact of all-you-can-eat buffet pricing model. Such model, even if it's fairly priced, can discourage light users altogether. Light users don't want to feel like they are subsidizing heavy users.

Second legitimate reason (other than being cheap)? Some (including myself) are underwhelmed by current Netflix streamlining library.
You could sign up with a dns proxy service and gain access to more than one country's Netflix selection.

Right now, when you travel, you can access the local netflix service using your own account. I have a Canadian account I can I can access the US version when I am in the US or the UK version if I am in the UK but I can also use a DNS service to "switch" my region for netflix to access the American and UK versions with a few clicks of the mouse.

I pay about 5 bucks a month for that extra service. Considering that I am paying about 7 bucks a month for just one specialty channel on my "cable" TV service, netflix is pretty cheap.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
You could sign up with a dns proxy service and gain access to more than one country's Netflix selection.

Right now, when you travel, you can access the local netflix service using your own account. I have a Canadian account I can I can access the US version when I am in the US or the UK version if I am in the UK but I can also use a DNS service to "switch" my region for netflix to access the American and UK versions with a few clicks of the mouse.

I pay about 5 bucks a month for that extra service. Considering that I am paying about 7 bucks a month for just one specialty channel on my "cable" TV service, netflix is pretty cheap.

Are you sure your account won't get flagged if they notice your location going from Canada to the US to Europe to the US to Canada in a very short time span, and often?

I don't know if they would, or do, but that would be my only worry. How long have you been doing it?

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Are you sure your account won't get flagged if they notice your location going from Canada to the US to Europe to the US to Canada in a very short time span, and often?

I don't know if they would, or do, but that would be my only worry. How long have you been doing it?
For a while. It is a feature of the account for when you travel so it is supported. You would probably get flagged I think if you had two streams from two different regions at the same time or switched regions often back and forth within the same day.

Don't abuse it and you should be fine.

I do travel a lot anyway.

Maybe, I come from Iowa and only "work" in space. :p

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Second, the company is introducing a new feature to allow different family members to log their own viewing habits and get recommendations based on what shows they like. Currently, all viewer activity -- parents and kids -- are combined into one stream. As a result, recommendations for kids shows and adult movies are shown next to each other.

About damn time.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Those enjoying more than 2 streams may soon find themselves limited to 2. Seems the announcement is a heads-up to those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.