Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Show me your 3G speeds.

This isn't 2008 anymore. 3G is old news. I have LTE everywhere I go. If you're still stuck on 3G, then...sucks for you I guess. T-Mobile users are stuck on super fast EDGE in my area.

There is no reason to be boasting about HSPA speeds any longer. It's hilarious how Sprint and TMo users are constantly banging on about their great HSPA/EVDO speeds and are in complete denial that LTE exists these days.

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
This isn't 2008 anymore. 3G is old news. I have LTE everywhere I go. If you're still stuck on 3G, then...sucks for you I guess. T-Mobile users are stuck on super fast EDGE in my area.

There is no reason to be boasting about HSPA speeds any longer. It's hilarious how Sprint and TMo users are constantly banging on about their great HSPA/EVDO speeds and are in complete denial that LTE exists these days.

Sounds like someone not in the industry. :D

Actually, there is still a lot of GSM/2G out there. Plusm the 3GPP working group has half a portfolio of WCDMA/3G currently not even made its way to hardware (carrier and handset). BTW, 3G is currently specified out to 160 Mbps. Not bad for a 2008 technology.

And I can tell you '3g' will be around for at least another five or six years. Take that from someone in the industry.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
That awesome AT&T LTE that throttles their so-called "unlimited" users at a measly 5GB of data. Or wait, $15 per GB for going over the caps on their share plans. Be sure to keep your data monitoring app handy. Be careful with those speed tests, I'm sure they consume plenty of your monthly data allowance.

No thanks. If I'm paying $650 for a phone then I want to actually be able to use it. I'll stick with Tmobile.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

Really! Is that the best u can come up with? What are u doing on your phone that requires those speeds? We continue this convo after April 12#

Reactions: CleberCarvalho011

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Sounds like someone not in the industry. :D

Actually, there is still a lot of GSM/2G out there. Plusm the 3GPP working group has half a portfolio of WCDMA/3G currently not even made its way to hardware (carrier and handset). BTW, 3G is currently specified out to 160 Mbps. Not bad for a 2008 technology.

And I can tell you '3g' will be around for at least another five or six years. Take that from someone in the industry.
What does "in the industry" mean? Working at a TMo store or Best Buy Mobile doesn't count.

Yes, I'm actually in this industry.

----------

That awesome AT&T LTE that throttles their so-called "unlimited" users at a measly 5GB of data. Or wait, $15 per GB for going over the caps on their share plans. Be sure to keep your data monitoring app handy. Be careful with those speed tests, I'm sure they consume plenty of your monthly data allowance.

No thanks. If I'm paying $650 for a phone then I want to actually be able to use it. I'll stick with Tmobile.

Yes, having unlimited, not throttled data on a predominately EDGE is spectacular, right?

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
This isn't 2008 anymore. 3G is old news. I have LTE everywhere I go.

First of all, 3G will definitely be around for a while. First everyone has to be moved off of edge. Then that will he shut down. At that point, 3G will be lowest and LTE will be the next step up. Anything faster than LTE will probably have surfaced at that time.

And for the second point, you must not go very far if you get AT&T LTE "everywhere you go". I can personally attest (as can a few friends of mine) that AT&T LTE is not nearly as widespread as it's made out to be by AT&T or by you.

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
What does "in the industry" mean? Working at a TMo store or Best Buy Mobile doesn't count.
Yes, I'm actually in this industry.
I guess you run into a lot of those types of people on here, but I work on both the RAN, core, and RF. Mostly Ericsson, Nortel, Alcatel and Cisco gear.

Had to fix the truncated HTML. :D

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
where the speed boost comes from?

Sorry, I did not get it, is it from refarming of the spectrum

or

iPhone 5 has additional frequency to add t-mobile's AWS?

i have iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 both locked at ATT and thinking of moving to t-mobile, do not use more than 1GB per line on the average.

Will I get the good 3G speed with unlocked iPhone 4S?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Sorry, I did not get it, is it from refarming of the spectrum

or

iPhone 5 has additional frequency to add t-mobile's AWS?

i have iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 both locked at ATT and thinking of moving to t-mobile, do not use more than 1GB per line on the average.

Will I get the good 3G speed with unlocked iPhone 4S?

Yes they are adding the 1700MHz band to the "tweaked" iPhone 5, you will get 3G if your area is reframed to 1900MHz, also do note 1900MHz has poor indoor coverage.

You can check my other thread "All you need to know about iPhone.....+ T-mobile HSPA+/LTE" for more information.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I guess you run into a lot of those types of people on here, but I work on both the RAN, core, and RF. Mostly Ericsson, Nortel, Alcatel and Cisco gear.

Had to fix the truncated HTML. :D

Haha alright, fair enough. Glad to see there is someone else around here who knows what they're talking about. Yup, tons of posers from BBM here :D

----------

First of all, 3G will definitely be around for a while. First everyone has to be moved off of edge. Then that will he shut down. At that point, 3G will be lowest and LTE will be the next step up. Anything faster than LTE will probably have surfaced at that time.
3G will be around for a long time, primarily for voice (on AT&T) and backup data. T-Mobile still prominently relies on EDGE as their major data service across their network. There are still huge portions of the US where they don't have 3G, whereas VZW/AT&T have LTE deployed (and have had 3G for a long long time)

And for the second point, you must not go very far if you get AT&T LTE "everywhere you go". I can personally attest (as can a few friends of mine) that AT&T LTE is not nearly as widespread as it's made out to be by AT&T or by you.

Come check out the Northeast. I can go from Boston to Washington DC and never loose LTE on AT&T (or VZW). T-Mobile covers almost all major highways around here with EDGE. Pretty pathetic.

----------

. BTW, 3G is currently specified out to 160 Mbps. Not bad for a 2008 technology.

Even if it specced up to that 160 mbps, it looks like no US carrier will be taking advantage of the higher spec anymore, especially LTE is going to be used as their primary technology for the next decade or so. AT&T stopped upgrading HSPA+ at 21mbps, whereas T-Mobile deployed DC-HSPA+ in some areas (42 mbps), now they're basically ignoring both to go onto LTE -> LTE-A.

Let's also not forget that LTE is much more efficient with managing high traffic situations due to optimizations, whereas HSPA/EDGE/EVDO are completely dead. Probably one of the major reasons why carriers have moved onto LTE.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
T-Mobile has been slowly ramping up iPhone-compatible 3G in Portland (OR,) and the tower closest to my house finally got upgraded (as soon as I wandered to the next tower over, I would get it previously.)

Pretty crappy service at my house as it is - every carrier has 2-3 bars MAX in the best-signal location in the house, usually I'm at only 1-2 bars, and quite a few placed in the house get no signal at all - on any carrier. (Hilly part of town.)

My phone (4S) is on AT&T "4G" (HSPA+,) my wife's 4 is on T-Mobile (AT&T phone factory unlocked by AT&T upon contract completion.)

Yup, T-Mobile 3G is often faster downloading than AT&T "4G" at the same location (although AT&T usually has better upload speeds:)

Attachments

• Speeds.jpeg
    Speeds.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 269

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I live in downtown Portland, OR thinking of switching from ATT. good to know. I have unlocked iPhone 4S also.

I'm in outer SW Portland - Garden Home/Multnomah Village area. Very hilly. So pretty crappy connections all around. (When I got the original iPhone, AT&T was the only provider that consistently got *ANY* signal at any place in my house.)

Downtown I get better AT&T speeds, 2-3 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up at "full five bars 4G." The T-Mobile phone is my wife's, and she doesn't come downtown often, so I don't know what the T-Mobile speeds are.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
anyone using GoSmart Mobile? If so can you please share screen shots of speeds tests, Thanks. I want to compare GoSmart with T-Mobile Prepaid...since its directly owned by T-Mobile, I want to know if I can live with the $45 plan....much better than the $30 plan...as it gives Unlimited Talk along with Unlimited Text and 5GB Data....

Anyone in NY get LTE on GoSmart?
Edit:
what about trying one of T-Mobile's Prepaid APN on GoSmart? does that work by any chance?

----------

I dont know if title change is going to take affect on the forum thread but I updated the title to 1900MHz and LTE (Since iPhone is now officially available its best to concentrate this thread on 1900MHz PCS directly).

Last edited:

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
anyone using GoSmart Mobile? If so can you please share screen shots of speeds tests, Thanks. I want to compare GoSmart with T-Mobile Prepaid...since its directly owned by T-Mobile, I want to know if I can live with the $45 plan....much better than the $30 plan...as it gives Unlimited Talk along with Unlimited Text and 5GB Data....

Anyone in NY get LTE on GoSmart?
Edit:
what about trying one of T-Mobile's Prepaid APN on GoSmart? does that work by any chance?

----------

I dont know if title change is going to take affect on the forum thread but I updated the title to 1900MHz and LTE (Since iPhone is now officially available its best to concentrate this thread on 1900MHz PCS directly).

I to would like to know this. Im in NYC and cant check for coverage using my androids wrb browser. Dunno why...

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Can anyone Verifiy that the GoSmart Mobile works on 1700/2100 iPhone 5? (Yes it will work but my deep question is Can GoSmart SIM access 1700/2100 frequency towers)

I want to know if its limited to the 1900MHz....because I notice on the website it only mentions "3G" and nothing about 4G....wondering if T-Mobile started that carrier up just for Smartphone owners like iPhone 3G-4S who cannot access 1700/2100.

instasllim

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
I have been on prepaid Verizon for couple years with my Verizon iPhone 4S, I am fixing a busted at&t 4S, which I am going to have unlocked. Can anyone confirm the speeds in the Indianapolis area? I would like to know if its worth the switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.