Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Hello all!

I would very much like to use a 2nd display for my iBook G4(1.33 GHz) but don't like the way that the resolution for the secondary display is limited to the 1024 X 768 that I already have on the iBook itself. Does anyone know a way around this?

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Yes screen spanning doctor should support you vga monitor no matter what the resolution as long as its has a vga input (I use a 1280x1024 iMac G4 and its just fine with it) Screen spanning doctor should also be fully compatible with your graphics chip (whether thats a radeon 9200, 9500 or 9550 depending on what ibook you have)

Hope this helps :)

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
ScreenSpanningDoctor or so, I do not know which resolution it does support though.

Yes screen spanning doctor should support you vga monitor no matter what the resolution as long as its has a vga input (I use a 1280x1024 iMac G4 and its just fine with it) Screen spanning doctor should also be fully compatible with your graphics chip (whether thats a radeon 9200, 9500 or 9550 depending on what ibook you have)

Hope this helps :)

Thanks!!! What if I picked up an older Apple display that's 1680 X 1050? I found the Screen Spanning Doctor by the way(it was linked to in the iBook G4 spec sheet at everymac.com)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That old iBook should be able to drive any VGA display. It'd reach the limitations of VGA before you'd hit the iBook's limitations. Although it would start to show some slow downs near the bigger screen sizes due to its small VRAM. But it should be able to drive that screen nicely.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
As others have said, you'll need a VGA display. Which rules out (basically all) of Apple's flat-panel displays. You'd be better off with a cheapo PC LCD.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
As others have said, you'll need a VGA display. Which rules out (basically all) of Apple's flat-panel displays. You'd be better off with a cheapo PC LCD.

There is one, and only one VGA LCD Apple display. The venerable Blue and White Apple Studio display. While some of Apple's later CRT displays have high resolutions up to 1600 x 1200, none of them have a native resolution of 1680 X 1050.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
There is one, and only one VGA LCD Apple display. The venerable Blue and White Apple Studio display. While some of Apple's later CRT displays have high resolutions up to 1600 x 1200, none of them have a native resolution of 1680 X 1050.

Yup, and I have that one B&W Studio Display. :D (I used to have the predecessor "dark blue" Studio Display with the old-school proprietary Apple DB-15 connector, too - but it died so I gave it away to someone who was going to try to repair it.)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yup, and I have that one B&W Studio Display. :D (I used to have the predecessor "dark blue" Studio Display with the old-school proprietary Apple DB-15 connector, too - but it died so I gave it away to someone who was going to try to repair it.)

Yea, I have one too. Not the best display. Very dim at only 200 cd/m². Better than the dark blue's 180 cd/m². Good for use in a darkish room and an old ADB/VGA equipped Mac and a GameCube.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Yea, I have one too. Not the best display. Very dim at only 200 cd/m². Better than the dark blue's 180 cd/m². Good for use in a darkish room and an old ADB/VGA equipped Mac and a GameCube.

I use mine as my server screen. Hrm, that's right, it has composite input... I should use it for my Apple II, as well...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I use mine as my server screen. Hrm, that's right, it has composite input... I should use it for my Apple II, as well...

If you haven't done so already, I highly suggest using OS 9's Monitors control panel to set the alignment via ADB. It is much better than using the on screen menu and buttons.

kalel77

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
if I was you I would not waste time looking for an apple display, I got a NEC EX231W from Amazon and works simply great with my powerbook G4 at any resolutions!!! Think about it too.
Cheers.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
If you haven't done so already, I highly suggest using OS 9's Monitors control panel to set the alignment via ADB. It is much better than using the on screen menu and buttons.

The server in question is actually a quad-socket Itanium. :p The Apple IIc on top is also used as a serial terminal via its IIc mini monochrome screen.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The server in question is actually a quad-socket Itanium. :p The Apple IIc on top is also used as a serial terminal via its IIc mini monochrome screen.

Well you can still calibrate is on an OS 9 machine with the resolution and hertz set to the same as that of the target machine. The calibration will stay and it'll look nicer when done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.