Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Hi...I'm looking to purchase an Apple TV but I don't have an hdmi port on my tv. I have d2 and svideo ports. Would it make sense to get an Apple TV 2 and get some kind of converter or would an Apple TV 1 do? I don't necessarily need Hd movies but I wouldn't want to be limited with the tiles I can rent. As for the library, Apple TV 1 and 2 and 3 have access to the same titles?

Thanks...

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Hi...I'm looking to purchase an Apple TV but I don't have an hdmi port on my tv. I have d2 and svideo ports. Would it make sense to get an Apple TV 2 and get some kind of converter or would an Apple TV 1 do? I don't necessarily need Hd movies but I wouldn't want to be limited with the tiles I can rent. As for the library, Apple TV 1 and 2 and 3 have access to the same titles?

Thanks...

you can get a convertor but they are expensive.Check Monoprice.com.I looked into it some time ago for my upstairs TV and it wasn't worth it.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
I still use my ATV1. I use it with a Samsung 26" R74 model, which I feed via component.

I connect that way as despite having HDMI there is no HDCP on the Samsung.

The only thing that you miss out on between a 1 and a 3 is an older interface , and 1080P. I use the Apple Remote on my App to drive the ATV anyway so the actual AppleTV interface isn't used directly.

They have access to the same titles, just have to have them in SD or 720P if HD, as doesn't support 1080P.

I would disagree with anyone that says that the ATV1 is outdated. If you aren't doing HD then the later models don't offer anything to you.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
An Apple TV1 will play HD just fine provided you install the Crystal HD chip and run Crystalbuntu with an XBMC front end. You can keep the OS X front end, but some users have reported stuttering.

If you stick with the OS X frontrow interface without upgrading you will be limited to 720p playback and the Frontrow interface, other than that it will work just fine.

I ended up buying an Apple TV3 and a HDMI to VGA cable with an active converter that is HDCP compliant. I run my audio out over optical cable to my AVR, it works just fine.

You can get a HDMI to Svideo converter but they're much more expensive and as is the same case with VGA you will need one with a converter chipset to get around HDCP.

The ATV1 is a more capable player than the ATV2 and can equal the ATV3 under certain conditions with upgrades. The only difference is if you want the iOS front end.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Do many of the titles offer subtitles now in the iTunes Store?

Still the minority, I'd say. For example, none of the Monty Python / John Cleese-movies / series has any subs.

BTW, you can also check whether your fav movies have a CC track by tapping the "Show only titles with CC" (or something like that) icon.

----------

I ended up buying an Apple TV3 and a HDMI to VGA cable with an active converter that is HDCP compliant. I run my audio out over optical cable to my AVR, it works just fine.

Same here - I've been using this: http://dx.com/p/hdmi-to-vga-video-converter-71816

You can get a HDMI to Svideo converter but they're much more expensive and as is the same case with VGA you will need one with a converter chipset to get around HDCP.

Are you sure? The ones (noname Chinese ones, of course, just like the HDMI -> VGA unit above) I've seen haven't been more expensive than 65 US$ - and that was advertised as even a HDMI 1.3-compliant unit.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
I hear that the ATV1 cannot stream via AirPlay and that just the ATV3 can do that. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Thanks.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
I own an ATV 1 and an ATV 2, here's my thoughts on all the ATV models.

Apple TV 1 Advantages:

- Hard drive to sync content to, so you can just sync your content to ATV or take your Apple TV to a friends house.
- Supports component video, and composite (either with a Firecore-style jailbreak, or by plugging a shorted-our HDMI adapter in at exactly the right moment while the ATV switches resolution.

Apple TV 1 Disadvantages:

- No access to Hulu Plus or Netflix.
- Built to sync content from a Mac. Doesn't sync music and video from iTunes Match.
- Hasn't been updated in a very long time, never will be in the future.
- Very unreliable power-wise. If you put it to sleep, it'll keep waking itself up.
- Runs very hot and uses a lot more power than the ATV 2 and ATV 3.
- Doesn't do AirPlay (video), but can do AirTunes (audio).

Apple TV 2 Advantages

- Syncs and streams purchased content from iTunes, no need to sync with a Mac.
- The newest Apple TV that can be jailbroken (seas0npass and ATV Flash), adding extra features like XBMC and the ability to watch videos on a network share.

Apple TV 2 Disadvantages

- Very expensive to acquire, since they're not made any more and it can be jailbroken, unlike the Apple TV 3. Originally sold for $99, but expect to pay $150 - $200 for one on eBay.
- Only outputs video in 720p, not 1080p.

Apple TV 3 Advantages

- Can output video in 1080p.

Apple TV 3 Disadvantages

- Unlike the ATV 2, it can't be jailbroken. They've been trying for a long time and still haven't gotten anywhere.

Edit: Both the Apple TV 2 and Apple TV 3 can do AirPlay.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Still the minority, I'd say. For example, none of the Monty Python / John Cleese-movies / series has any subs.

BTW, you can also check whether your fav movies have a CC track by tapping the "Show only titles with CC" (or something like that) icon.

----------

Same here - I've been using this: http://dx.com/p/hdmi-to-vga-video-converter-71816

Are you sure? The ones (noname Chinese ones, of course, just like the HDMI -> VGA unit above) I've seen haven't been more expensive than 65 US$ - and that was advertised as even a HDMI 1.3-compliant unit.

I've been using an in cable solution that cost me $20 off ebay, added bonus points for the fact that it looks like it's meant to come with the Apple TV being black.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HDMI-Mal...55?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item4abbe6c917

The converter in a box solutions seemed a lot more expensive at the time, but I've obviously been mistaken, it's not that much more expensive. Either solution should works fine for VGA. The only down point is in connecting to some monitors I've found that it won't scale properly. My 22" monitor wont scale 1080p content, it ends up displaying it on 3/4 of the screen. That's a problem with the output device not the Apple TV but something to make note of if you're using non-standard output devices.

The biggest thing you need for VGA and RCA as they are both analogue signals is an active DAC (Digital Analogue Converter), a passive cable solution won't do it as it won't deal with the HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection) that the HDMI standard has had to adopt in order to be accepted by movie studios.

I'm pretty sure you need an in box solution for RCA, though am willing to be shown otherwise.

Last edited:

Poonz

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Tecumseh, ON, CA
I was actually looking for something like this for my mom last Christmas. Thought it was way too expensive for any type of converter. Thanks.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Would something like this work from the Apple TV3 to my 32inch Sharp TV?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem;PdsSession=b46a6c7e13a0a54cc5766286ffee7b54?itemId=350632182937&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=16673505751

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
I own an ATV 1 and an ATV 2, here's my thoughts on all the ATV models.

Apple TV 1 Advantages:

- Hard drive to sync content to, so you can just sync your content to ATV or take your Apple TV to a friends house.
- Supports component video, and composite (either with a Firecore-style jailbreak, or by plugging a shorted-our HDMI adapter in at exactly the right moment while the ATV switches resolution.

Apple TV 1 Disadvantages:

- No access to Hulu Plus or Netflix.
- Built to sync content from a Mac. Doesn't sync music and video from iTunes Match.
- Hasn't been updated in a very long time, never will be in the future.
- Very unreliable power-wise. If you put it to sleep, it'll keep waking itself up.
- Runs very hot and uses a lot more power than the ATV 2 and ATV 3.
- Doesn't do AirPlay (video), but can do AirTunes (audio).

Apple TV 2 Advantages

- The newest Apple TV that can be jailbroken (seas0npass and ATV Flash), adding extra features like XBMC and the ability to watch videos on a network share.

Apple TV 2 Disadvantages

- Very expensive to acquire, since they're not made any more and it can be jailbroken, unlike the Apple TV 3. Originally sold for $99, but expect to pay $150 - $200 for one on eBay.
- Only outputs video in 720p, not 1080p.

Apple TV 3 Advantages

- Can output video in 1080p.

Apple TV 3 Disadvantages

- Unlike the ATV 2, it can't be jailbroken. They've been trying for a long time and still haven't gotten anywhere.

Edit: Both the Apple TV 2 and Apple TV 3 can do AirPlay.

Well stated. Note, though, that atv 2 and 3 have no storage, so any of your own content must be either from the cloud, an ios device or macI just updated to the 3 from a 1, and streaming from my ipad/iPhone or MacBook is really great. OTOH, it's nice to have the content on an ATV 1 hard drive and not have to rely on another device. Given that I have ios and a Mac, the upgrade made sense. The 3 is also very fast and less temperamental. Loving the 3!!

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Apple TV 1

Most everything is already been said, but I am an American who recently moved to Italy, and I brought my Apple TV one with me. I love the fact the original Apple TV has the built-in hard drive. I thought about upgrading, but I can't get Netflix or Hulu here in Italy on an AppleTV, so those were the only features I was really interested in. The fact that it does have a hard drive however is a wonderful feature. You don't have to have your computer on the entire time you're watching a movie, and if your Internet connection is a little bit slower, the movie is first copied to the hard drive, which then plays directly from the hard drive. This way you get no stuttering or slowdowns. The Apple TV one does have an ethernet port, so you can actually hook it up directly to your router initially to copy all your content, which can be faster than using Wi-Fi. Once this is done, you can disconnect it and place it with the TV and use Wi-Fi. The Apple TV Will stream content from your computer that hasn't been downloaded to the hard drive, although apparently it doesn't work with Music Match. Lately, I've noticed that it does automatically download TV shows that I paid for, without first copying them from my computer.

On a separate note, if you are outside of United States and wish to watch US TV shows, I found a wonderful Mac program called NetShade that allows you to do this. It's only $29. http://www.raynersw.com/netshade.
This won't help you with the AppleTV, however your laptop will be up to play the shows, and I just took up the laptop to my flatscreen TV.

Last edited:

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Would something like this work from the Apple TV3 to my 32inch Sharp TV?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/view...0632182937&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=16673505751

So long as it has component video it will work.

----------

Most everything is already been said, but I am an American who recently moved to Italy, and I brought my Apple TV one with me. I love the fact the original Apple TV has the built-in hard drive. I thought about upgrading, but I can't get Netflix or Hulu here in Italy on an AppleTV.

Of course you can, just set the location on your Apple TV to the United States and then reboot. This will give you American Netflix/Hulu from there sign up with a US based VPN service such as http://www.unblock-us.com/ and then put in the VPN details into your network settings.

You will then be able to circumvent the Geoblock and use your American Netflix/Hulu accounts. It will also give you access to NHL, MLB abd NBA season passes if you have them and the best bit is that they offer you a free trial to see if it works for you.

cmc5dc

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
Apple rep. at Best Buy did confirm that.

I hear that the ATV1 cannot stream via AirPlay and that just the ATV3 can do that. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Thanks.

----------

If you have component availability than this works great. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9XVBC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Thanks...

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
I have a sony CRT I would like to use an ATV3 HDMI converter on in our bedroom for casual viewing but wondered if any knows if these converters work a non HD ready TV? thanks

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013

Thanks...

but a new tv :) now is your excuse!

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
I actually like a little old school tech around the house if new tech can work along with it in some way, why not? Mine is just a bedroom TV and I own 2 Sony LCD TV in other parts of the home. Just need a HDMI to Componant converter for my Sony CRT to play nice with my ATV3

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.