Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aa521490

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2007
My kids have the original iPad. They use it to check the spelling and meaning of words, games, and video (youtube).

I use it occasionally as a paperweight:D.

inkfinger

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009
Still have mine and it's still doing pretty well. (posting this on it as it happens!)

Got a Mini recently, which tends to be used more I must admit, but it's nice to go back to the larger screen for some things.

Voxone

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
Still hanging in there....

Yep, still using mine, but in a limited way. I'm a voice actor and my agent sends me scripts to audition. I used to print them out, now I just convert them to PDF files, put them in Dropbox and open them on the iPad and read from that. Works like a charm. And my girlfriend gave me holder that fits on a mic stand so I don't even have to hold it! I also have the iPad3 for other things, and will get the 5 when it comes out.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
Just wondering if anyone is still on iPad 1 trying to save for a new one can't decide between the mini or a new full sized but still enjoying iPad 1 use it everyday

I'm on the 3d after leaving my iPad 1 at my friend's in the US; I wasn't planning to buy a new iPad, being content with the 1st, but considering the mailing price etc., I decided to upgrade, and the 3d is of course way, way better.

stumpapi

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Maine
Yes absolutely! I have two actually and have given them to my spouses parents living now in an assisted living environment. They each have one now and use them all day long! Her father is no longer able to use a computer because of health issues and with partial use of one hand it has opened a new world to them. It was new technology at first but over time they adapted well. With the simple use of a stylus he can now compose email, read, search the web, play games, connect with family and the list goes on. It has been a life changer for them.

The iPads are as useful and capable as the day they were first purchased and have brought them the same excitement and enjoyment as we all enjoy with our new iPad.

I hope if someone considers upgrading they might also consider donating it to someone who would enjoy them as much. I smile every time we visit and walk in to see the iPads in front of them ....

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
I sent an iPad 1 to my parents whenthey first came out. They are both in their 80's. I explained over the phone on how to use the ipad as they live 8 hours away. I'm reluctant to upgrade it for them as they are use the the running of the iPad 1. It does every thing they need and a lot more they never use.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
My mom still uses the iPad 1 I gave her when I got my iPad 3. If I upgrade to the iPad 5, I will give her my 3 and might give the 1 to my sister...

navra233

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
Still enjoying iPad 2 device. Planning to buy iPad mini device. Its good in portable size.:cool:

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Still have mine.

I managed to downgrade it to iOS 4.3.3 so its runs really well compared to iOS 5.1.1.

I don't really need iCloud as I dont have a Mac.

Might upgrade this year if Mini gets Retina.

Please share. PLEASE. I'm DYING to downgrade mine - 5.1.1 killed it. :(

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
I still have 2 64gb, ipad 1's. They have been full time movies players for the last year. Made a 20 hour car ride enjoyable for my kids.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
If you didn't save SHSH blobs for iOS 4 through Cydia, then you can't downgrade.

And I didn't. Awesome. Experiencing the same thing with my iPhone 4 right now, too (with iOS 6). Since I've never cared much about jailbreaking, I never thought to use Cydia/TU/etc. and now I have no blobs. Oh well...

crispytreat

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
My kids use the ipad 1 daily. I am waiting to upgrade to a mini, but my iphone 5 is filling the gap for now.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I'm afraid to try any of the newer models because if I do, the iPad 2 will probably seem painfully slow as well.

Well, the iPad 3's retina display makes it feel a bit slow at times (for me it felt slower that iPad 2 in some tasks). iPad 4 on the other hand, has the muscle to handle retina resolution beautifully, so anything else will feel painfully slow, indeed.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
When you had your iPad 1, did it ever feel really slow? Were you able to go on Safari without it crashing?

The only reason I am asking is because I am planning to buy an iPad 1 64GB for a family member.

I "Inherited" my iPad 1 64GB from my mom when she went to a 3 (her business writes it off). I find it extremely useful, but I would have never dropped the $1000 it cost at the time. When the 1 came out, I thought that I could really make good use of it, if it had 3 improvements: a Facetime camera (for Skype and internet chat - Facetime didn't exist yet), higher resolution screen (minimum 1080P for movies/TV) and about 250GB or more capacity (to carry said movies internally). I'm just waiting for the latter now.

That being said, I find it a very useful little machine. I watch a lot of Netflix on it, glance at email, read books, surf Safari and a ton of Garageband. I find it adequately fast and more than adequately reliable. I love the integration I get between it, my iPhone 4S and my iMac. I quite love the device. Of course, I got it for the right price. And that being said I will be buying a new (all the bells and whistles) one eventually. I guess that's the best endorsement one can give.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.