Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_black_front-150x282.jpg
There have been numerous rumors claiming that Apple is working on an iPhone with a larger screen to compete with phones from competitors like Samsung, but Tim Cook's comments during today's Q2 financial results call indicate that the company is not quite ready to make a phone with a 5-inch screen.
My view continues to be that iPhone 5 has the best display in the industry. We always strive to create the very best display. Some customers value large screen size. Others value other factors such as resolution, color quality, white balance, reflectivity, power consumption, compatibility of apps, and portability. Our competitors have made some significant tradeoffs in many of these areas to ship a larger display. We would not ship a larger display iPhone while these tradeoffs exist.
It appears that Apple will not be releasing an iPhone with a larger screen until the company's manufacturing partners can supply it with a 5-inch screen that meets its demanding criteria.

The above quote is from a rough transcript of the earnings call

Article Link: Tim Cook Comments on 5-Inch Phone Market, Reiterates Commitment to Quality Over Size

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
So be it. HTC One, here I come. I'm looking for bigger screen, not narrower.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Definitely ok with this. I don't really care for a 5 inch screen. It's not a feature. I don't want a giant phone I can't hold in one hand. Trying to keep inching in every single size imaginable just because Samsung and LG do it would be a mistake. What's next? Build a 6 inch iPhone?

If you want a bigger screen, go buy a tablet. Oh wait, you probably already have one. And a 10 inch tablet. And a laptop. And a desktop.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
No larger screen iPhone in 2013, that's for sure. I don't see a 5 inch iPhone in 2014 either. They may up the size but 4 to 5 in one year, oh please. Apple would never.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
That means it is definitely coming.

Just a matter of time now - Tim, don't leave it too late.

iekozz

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Amsterdam
Yes, the iPhone 5 has a great display. But with the 1080p panels on the htc one/galaxy s4, Apple will need to step up.

The 1080p displays (minus the xperia z) are very,very good looking and better then the iPhone 5. Please make atleast a 720p or even better a 1080p :).

And yes, I have a iphone 5.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Seems like a throw away comment. The 'competitors' havent really had to sacrifice quality for a larger screen. He's effectively saying that the iPad and iPad Mini screen's are of poor quality there, as they are larger than the iPhone screen.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
From the other thread -

Our competitors have made some significant tradeoffs in many of these areas to ship a larger display. We would not ship a larger display iPhone while these tradeoffs exist.

Buh?

*Looks at iPhone 5, which made exactly these tradeoffs.*

Is Tim drunk?

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Come on, Tim! Why can't Apple release two phones in a year, one 4' and another 5'?

Some of us really love to have a bigger screen!

Survivor61

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
Yea I'm bored. Gonna buy a S4 Saturday. Not getting rid of my iPhone 5. This will allow me to spend some time comparing the two.

Aug 26, 2008
I don't care if Tim says they think 4 inches is the right size for a phone, but he straight up lied about the trade offs. I wish they wouldn't do this. How can they keep saying this stuff when the evidence completely flies in the face of such a statement? It's bizarre.

ssimpson205

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
Are you kidding me?

Delusional. But what else would you expect from a guy who has destroyed 5 times more investor value in one year than Bernie Madoff stole in a lifetime?

If Apple thinks they can wish away the changing reality of the market, they (and their stockholders) are going to be in for very rude awakening. There is absoutely *nothing* I can do with my phone on a 4" screen that I can't do better on a 5" screen. 4.7" is the bare minimum these days - Apple is still trying to compete with phones that were obsolete two years ago.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
No New Products in next Quarter

They spent more time talking about how well the iPhone 4 was selling and sidestepped anything relating to new products. Another conference call with "Great Stuff in the Pipeline" and for it after hours dropped 5.5% from the close of the market.

That is what the analysts will take from the conference call more than what they reported. Expect AAPL to continue the downward spiral for another quarter.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I still don't understand why they chose to go longer with the 5 rather than proportionally larger.

This just confirmed that I will probably be picking up another phone this year. When Apple decides to get competitive, I might return. That or I will be so sick of Android, I will have no choice :)

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
The same was said about the iPad Mini. Apple said that no one would want one, so I see the larger iPhone coming this Fall.

LunaticSX

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
What was that again about Apple always denying something is worth doing, right before they do it themselves? :)

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
If you have really followed Apple and the way the company operates, this is not a big surprise.
and it would be no surprise if they came out with a 5" screen phone in 2 months, they never hint at upcoming products even when they have to fib about their design philosophy to keep the secrets. example: ipad mini.

PS I have had the HTC One since friday and have no regrets on the switch from iphone, and it certainly doesn't feel like a tablet.

oscalifornia25

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
California
That's great! Having a samsung is like carrying a tablet in your pocket as a phone. The iPhone is just perfect in size. Also, it's like everyone else is going backwards in time when the phones were larger.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Seems like a throw away comment. The 'competitors' havent really had to sacrifice quality for a larger screen. He's effectively saying that the iPad and iPad Mini screen's are of poor quality there, as they are larger than the iPhone screen.
He is not talking megapixels, he's talking quality.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Between this and the ancient mobile OS, it's time to switch to a Samsung or Windows phone this summer when my contract is finally up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.