Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
One of the reasons is an artifact of all-you-can-eat buffet pricing model. Such model, even if it's fairly priced, can discourage light users altogether. Light users don't want to feel like they are subsidizing heavy users.

Second legitimate reason (other than being cheap)? Some (including myself) are underwhelmed by current Netflix streaming library.

How cheap is it really going to get? TV episodes for $1.99 or $2.99 a la carte or something in that range? A couple of the television networks use ad subsidized models on their own sites, but it's still a bit limited. I think these light users may find they will not pay much less even if it's just one show a week.

I guess if by Horrible you mean almost 30 million users, then I agree.....

When was the last time you created a product used by 30 million people?

Do not feed them. If he wasn't trolling he would have at least provided some detail.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
How cheap is it really going to get? TV episodes for $1.99 or $2.99 a la carte or something in that range? A couple of the television networks use ad subsidized models on their own sites, but it's still a bit limited. I think these light users may find they will not pay much less even if it's just one show a week.

I am not implying $7.99 is exorbitant. But like buffet, both heavy and light users get charged the same, and it is completely natural for lighter users to feel like they are not getting as much value out of it, especially given limited library. When and if library improves significantly, it may become easier for everyone to justify $7.99 (or even higher) monthly subscription fee. Until then, I think it is natural for lighter users feel as if they are subsidizing heavier users.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
They have a Watchlist. I agree it isn't as good as Netflix overall. And Netflix isn't as good as I'd like, either.

Thanks for the clarification. I've tried to figure it out, but it doesn't seem to work from platform to platform. I tried to create a watchlist on my Mac but it doesn't show up on my Amazon Prime app within my tv's media player. I keep waiting for Amazon to step up and make the UI independent of the rest of the Amazon shopping experience. There's way too much clutter just browsing for movies to watch.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
it is completely natural for lighter users to feel like they are not getting as much value out of it

Even for a viewer who only watches ten hours a month, what other alternative offers ten hours of streamed content for $8, with a better selection?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Even for a viewer who only watches ten hours a month, what other alternative offers ten hours of streamed content for $8, with a better selection?

I watch 10 hours a month, not from Netflix, but from other sources. When I tried Netflix trial a couple of months ago, I watched perhaps 4 hours top (2 episodes of House of Cards and 1 old movie). I may re-subscribe for a month when Arrested Development comes out.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I am not implying $7.99 is exorbitant. But like buffet, both heavy and light users get charged the same, and it is completely natural for lighter users to feel like they are not getting as much value out of it, especially given limited library. When and if library improves significantly, it may become easier for everyone to justify $7.99 (or even higher) monthly subscription fee. Until then, I think it is natural for lighter users feel as if they are subsidizing heavier users.

if you're paying $150 for cable its one thing. but $7.99 a month?

TV and movies cost more to produce than music so don't expect a spotify here

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
if you're paying $150 for cable its one thing. but $7.99 a month?

TV and movies cost more to produce than music so don't expect a spotify here

OTA is not cable. It stands for Over-The-Air programming. And for occasional premium and/or cable programming, I either buy the episodes from Apple or rent it from the library.

In any case, I have admitted many times to being a light user and how Netflix does not offer enough streaming selection for me to justify $8/month (or at least feel like a stooge for subsidizing heavier users). I have been a Netflix user since 1999 and have been a heavy user. I canceled only after Netflix separated DVD/BD rental from streaming businesses (and thus increasing overall cost).

You are keep arguing how $8/month is a chump change, but I just don't see myself watching enough of what Netflix offers to justify spending over $100/year (after taxes). And as I have indicated, if the price drops and/or selection improves significantly, I would seriously re-consider.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
OTA HDTV programmings, Hulu free (streamed from Mac), local library video rental.

Free is always going to win on price, but none of those listed come anywhere close to the selection of NF streaming, much less the ability to watch on demand and without commercials.

At the iTunes store, most movie rentals are $3.99 or $4.99, and TV episodes are $1.99. So for $8 at the iTunes store, you can buy four episodes of a sitcom, for a whopping 92 minutes of entertainment. Sure the selection is better, but somehow that is a better value than unlimited streaming for that price?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Thanks for the clarification. I've tried to figure it out, but it doesn't seem to work from platform to platform. I tried to create a watchlist on my Mac but it doesn't show up on my Amazon Prime app within my tv's media player. I keep waiting for Amazon to step up and make the UI independent of the rest of the Amazon shopping experience. There's way too much clutter just browsing for movies to watch.

I know what you mean, and have similar issues with Netflix.

This is more a software design issue. I have added to my Watchlist both in iOS app and in my Roku3. But that means nothing for other apps. The TiVo doesn't even have an Amazon app, it's compatibility (claimed in Tivos marketing) is only for rental/purchase from Amazon, I don't even use it.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Free is always going to win on price, but none of those listed come anywhere close to the selection of NF streaming, much less the ability to watch on demand and without commercials.

At the iTunes store, most movie rentals are $3.99 or $4.99, and TV episodes are $1.99. So for $8 at the iTunes store, you can buy four episodes of a sitcom, for a whopping 92 minutes of entertainment. Sure the selection is better, but somehow that is a better value than unlimited streaming for that price?

It all depends on what you watch. 90% of what I used to watch on Netflix (DVD/BD and streaming) are covered by the local library (one near my home has several thousand titles, including at least half the latest releases) and broadcast networks. At best, Netflix streaming covers 25% of what I used to watch. While Netflix does offer titles (that I would watch) neither OTA nor local library offers, that remaining 10% are covered by Apple and other means at a cost far less than $100+/year.

Again, I must stress that I am a light viewer and I am not trying to shove my viewing habits to everyone. But at the same time, I don't think you are making a compelling argument to getting me spend $8/month on Netflix rental (at least given the current selection).

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
a compelling argument

Frankly, I don't think a compelling argument to get you to subscribe exists, and I'm not trying to make one, just wondering what's out there that's a better value.

For Netflix, there's no reason for them to even worry about people who would rather scrounge around than pay their current pricing. If they charged $2 per month, there would still be someone somewhere who would complain that it wasn't $1.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
This option sounds cool and all for those who could use it, but NF doesn't have enough worthy content to where our family are all standing in line to watch our favorite shows or movie. The current limit is perfect for us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.