Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gingbear1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
So you're resting on your bed...a shiny new MBA 13 inch laptop on your left side...and you begin to use the trackpad to scroll around the web...and what's this?...what in the world??!!:eek: the edge of the laptop is pressing against the side of my hand!...this can't be! it's the shape...the bottom is an aluminum boat which settles into the bed as the edges of the top of the rowboat are angled up and cut into the sides of your hand as you're negotiating around the oversized trackpad. Leather cases, Speck cases, iLap Stands...all of which will add extra weight to this unit (from 12 ounces - Leather to 1.4 Lbs.- iLap). Might as well have purchased a Lenova or some other convertible windows tablet junk...it would've weighed the same and might not have the "edge-gate" factor...can't really blame Apple tho...NO ONE could get THAT much computer in such a slim and light form-factor...and if they made those edges any thinner they'd be sharp as knives!!...sigh...guess I'll have to break down and get one of those cases...now i understand why so many other company's out there depend on Apple to exist... :rolleyes: :apple:

bear

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
the edge of the laptop is pressing against the side of my hand!...and if they made those edges any thinner they'd be sharp as knives!!...sigh...

Great first post. :rolleyes:

Amazing what people will complain about and start threads about.

webwbr

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
[sarcasm]

I just read an article that Rabbi's are now using Macbook Airs to circumcise the baby boy at brises.

[/sarcasm]

gingbear1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
Hi Everyone! and thanks for your reply's :)...It's really not the sharpness of the edges factor Lee but more like the sharpness of the angle of the edge...it is afterall a standard right angled edge...well the bottom of the "boat" does curve up a bit underneath however that is incidental. As an experiment and to get a true picture of what I'm describing here, please close the lid of the air and place hand on the top lid near the front. That is a good and comfortable surface to rest the hand...to bad the lid is not open and that we cannot view thru aluminum :p . You guy's are pretty funny tho...:D...but seriously Apple is very concerned with comfort when it comes to their iPhones right?...I have one and love it!! on a recent discussion about Tim Cook not wanting to make the phone bigger due to not meeting the highest of standards and comfort issues (to be sure), over 250 members responded to that one, but with my...uhm...whine? :eek: a mere 5 responses so far!...This leads me to perhaps the most important side question to the main edge problem--that being--which Apple device do you use more often??...perhaps the laptop users are going to be more concerned with this issue than the iphone users will be. Moving forward I will be reporting on a leather case as a potential solution to this problem. In the meantime we must learn what "amazing" things are going to be released this fall from Apple...perhaps waiting and returning this product is in order?:rolleyes: ...Alas! then what would I buy in the meantime?? :confused:

bear

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
sitting in bed with my MBA in my lap. hope i don't end up like bobbit tonight. LOL

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
OK u got 2 big posts and I still don't know whether you have a question or you are telling us your actual experience. There are so many emoticons on your posts I wonder if you are over 15, or bi-polar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.