Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Doesn't iOS already have a share feature called share sheets, granted it isn't as good but it looks like it works the same way to me.

I've seen that feature in snapseed too but it isn't at the same level as it is on Android sharing to snapseed/Instagram/google drive/skydrive e.t.c straight from the gallery for instance.

If apple can add such functionality system wide I'd love to see it added.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Something I really like with my S3 is being able to create a wifi hotspot to connect with my laptop. I was unable to do this with my 3GS but maybe iOS has fixed this now?

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
This was fixed with the iPhone 4. Mine functions fine as a hotspot. :cool:

It is fixed, but in the UK at least you need to be on an iPhone data plan for it to work, which isn't a problem if you're on contract but if you're sim free like I am, you would have to pay more.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
This was fixed with the iPhone 4. Mine functions fine as a hotspot. :cool:
Yes but here, at least on AT&T, you have to pay for a tethering plan for it to be unlocked. Doesn't matter if you already pay for xGB of data--you have to have a tethering plan. The only way to get around that on iOS is to jailbreak and buy/install an app like mywi.

You don't usually need to be rooted on android to be able to tether. The Nexus 4 does it right out of the box--and that is with AT&T too (not carrier dependent).

Michael

----------

Doesn't iOS already have a share feature called share sheets, granted it isn't as good but it looks like it works the same way to me.
It doesn't work the same way because of how limited it is. I can't, for example, share an article I am reading in Pulse on iOS to Evernote because Pulse was not written to share with Evernote. Pulse on Android doesn't have to hard-code Evernote sharing in order for it to work. The OS takes care of it.

Michael

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008

What are the actual differences betwen Android and iOS in terms of user experience and function, What can you do on an Android phone that you can not do on an iPhone?
...!

Well the post below yours summarizes quite nicely. real access to file system and application separation from files makes Android more functional than IOS.

Think of Android phone as a portable usb flash drive, you can dump any file, any computer on the storage. Now when you use a file manager or email client app on your Android device, you can allow them access file system. Your files/apps are separated on Android. On ios you have to put files INSIDE an app, also not every app supports all kinds of files. On top of that, only that app can see those files. Thats' pretty bad if you accidentally delete your "app", guess what? your files are gone too.

Try putting some pdf files on "Adobe" reader on your iphone, the pdf files won't be read by ibooks or any other pdf file reader as a matter of fact. ANd if you delete Adobe reader, it will also delete your files.

This file system management is quite a big deal for me. It allows you to use all that "GB"s on your phone as you see fit.

Because of this file system behavior, you can have apps like "airdroid" that allows you to do nearly everything through a browser interface without wires. app like "mysms" allows you to send/receive messages without touching your phone. theres more examples.

In addition, you can change nearly everything on Android. All without rooting/jailbreaking/ without voiding warranty. its just a matter of installing a replacement app from play store. Do you have to customize? NO. Then of course for hardcore users, they can "root" and do some more stuffs.

hope it helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.