Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
What are some awesome free/paid games for Mac? I am running OSX 10.8.3 on a MacBook Pro retina, 16GB RAM, 2.6GHz Quad core intel i7, 512 GB SSD.

Last edited:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Steam, Origin and Mac App Store are all good places to get Mac games. On the Mac App Store, be sure to do searches on Feral and Aspyr for a bunch of very good games. I'd recommend visiting the Feral and Aspyr web sites also and signing up for their mailing lists so you know when they are offering new releases.

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
New York
Steam, Origin and Mac App Store are all good places to get Mac games. On the Mac App Store, be sure to do searches on Feral and Aspyr for a bunch of very good games. I'd recommend visiting the Feral and Aspyr web sites also and signing up for their mailing lists so you know when they are offering new releases.

origin is complete crap and i hope you realize that

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
origin is complete crap and i hope you realize that

Origin works perfectly for me, starts up fast, no negative issues in any way, shape or form purchasing and playing games from there.

I hope you realize that your experience with Origin (if you actually have any) is not indicative of all users experience.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
The OP wanted advice on good games. Recently I played 2 that really impressed me:

-Limbo
-Bioshock

Limbo is a simle scroolling game, with artistics graphics and very interesting and challenging puzzles.

Bioschock is a current game and one of the best shooters I played. There is also Bioshcok 2.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Try some old and some newer stuff from GOG ( Good Old Games )

http://www.gog.com/

They used to be PC only now they have a Mac section, but run Bootcamp and you have tons of games to choose from.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Loving League of Legends at the moment, it's 100% and works for Mac. :)

Also bought Portal and Portal 2 when they were on sale on steam, finished the first one and I loved that too.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
While I generally have a dislike for most things EA, Origin is not one of them. The client works better than Steam in both OS X and Windows.

Just as an FYI all Feral games on Origin use Feral's DRM and don't have any Origin DRM or licensing agreements. The Mac version of a Feral game from Origin is EXACTLY the same as you get from our own stores!

Kudos to EA for allowing developers to mix and match between their own system and custom ones like the DRM we developed in house.

Edwin

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Just as an FYI all Feral games on Origin use Feral's DRM and don't have any Origin DRM or licensing agreements. The Mac version of a Feral game from Origin is EXACTLY the same as you get from our own stores!

Kudos to EA for allowing developers to mix and match between their own system and custom ones like the DRM we developed in house.

Edwin

Interesting.

Incidentally, while I own the Arkham games for Windows, I did purchase Asylum from the App Store, but missed City when it was on sale from Origin last week. I might hit up the local MicroCenter to pick up a DVD version as App Store downloads can be horrendously slow.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012

Edwin

This is good to know. I just bought all the Feral LEGO titles available on Origin when they were on sale recently. :D

I wish Black and White 2 was available via digital distribution btw. I tried the demo on the Feral site and enjoyed it. I tried to buy it on the Feral Store but sadly there was no downloadable option, just the boxed copy.

This is a great game. How come it isn't on the App store? Does Apple impose some limit on how old titles are or something? The demo ran perfectly for me on OS X 10.8.3.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland

Edwin

That's interesting. Does it still require you to launch the game through Origin, and what if you uninstall Origin, can you just move the app bundle to another Mac and it will work, or will it work with an activation through Feral's server?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
That's interesting. Does it still require you to launch the game through Origin, and what if you uninstall Origin, can you just move the app bundle to another Mac and it will work, or will it work with an activation through Feral's server?

Origin is a download store for the Feral games, it has a few nice features like save game sync but it is purely a download service like the Feral Download Store or MacGameStore. It does not embed DRM into the game like Apple and Valve do with the Mac AppStore and Steam. The game is the same as you would get on a DVD or from the feral download store.

You can delete Origin if you wish and the game will keep working, you can even copy the game to your second Mac and activate it without installing Origin again.

The only server connection is to validate your product key and the game only does this when you first activate the game on new hardware, after that it does not phone home to check the DRM without your specific request to do so via an "update" or "deactivate" button.

You can have it installed on up to 5 Macs at once (you can add and remove Macs) and activating multiple times on the same Mac only counts as a single activation.

Edwin

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
This is good to know. I just bought all the Feral LEGO titles available on Origin when they were on sale recently. :D

I wish Black and White 2 was available via digital distribution btw. I tried the demo on the Feral site and enjoyed it. I tried to buy it on the Feral Store but sadly there was no downloadable option, just the boxed copy.

This is a great game. How come it isn't on the App store? Does Apple impose some limit on how old titles are or something? The demo ran perfectly for me on OS X 10.8.3.

Black & White 2 will be getting a patch later this year. Apple don't have any rules on the age of a game but to meet the Apple Store rules the games need to be updated to use modern versions of XCode and APIs. As Apple has altered most things significantly since we shipped older games it sometimes takes a little while to get them updated and tested.

If you own a DVD copy you will be able to get the brand new patch (which removes the need to have the DVD in the drive while playing) as a completely free download.

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.