Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the 10th anniversary of the iTunes Store coming up on Sunday, April 28, Apple has posted a new iTunes Store feature honoring the event. The feature is an expanded version of the iPod + iTunes Timeline that has long been available on the company's site.

decade_of_itunes_banner.jpg
The feature walks through a number of important events over the ten-year history of the iTunes Store, from the launch day when U2's "Stuck in a Moment" and Beck's "Sea Change" topped the sales list to the 2010 launch of The Beatles on iTunes to new milestones of 40 billion app downloads and 25 billion songs reached earlier this year.

iTunes has maintained its dominance in both the music and video markets in the United States and other countries for many years, with the music store now available in 119 countries following a major expansion last December. Apple's App Store is even larger, with Apple noting in yesterday's earnings conference call that the marketplace is now available in 155 countries covering 90% of the world's population.

Article Link: Apple Celebrates 'A Decade of iTunes' With New Milestone Feature

WisdomSeed

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Good ol' Soundjam

It is an impressive stretch of almost unbelievable innovation, that has been enjoyed by the masses of humanity.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I find it amusing that on the tenth anniversary of iTunes i'm finding myself going back to vinyl, with all the goodness of preamps, amplifiers and floorstanding speakers. iTunes is great for my car, gym and while at work. At home, i'm back to analog :).
Pure, pure joy.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Happy B-Day, iTunes Store.

I had just bought my first iMac around the same time. I couldn't figure out where to see the store on iTunes. I went to an Apple store and they asked me what color my iTunes icon was. I still had the purple one. (Duh!)
history-of-itunes-icons.jpg

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
They forgot to mention Ping.

Good one! :D

I actually liked Ping, and used it quite a bit when it was first launched. But it became clear just a couple of weeks into the service that it was going nowhere.

Who knows, though. When (if?) Apple eventually launches a "radio" or streaming service, perhaps a Ping-like social/sharing component will be part of it.

I find it amusing that on the tenth anniversary of iTunes i'm finding myself going back to vinyl, with all the goodness of preamps, amplifiers and floorstanding speakers. iTunes is great for my car, gym and while at work. At home, i'm back to analog :).
Pure, pure joy.

Spot on post Odedia! I couldnt agree more! As im sat here listening to Small Faces on my Rega RP3 turntable, Rega Pre Amp, Yamaha 1020 Amp and Mordaunt Short 902's. There isnt a sound like it. Music has become anti social in the tech revolution and at the gym, in your car and walking about its nice to have portability but you simply cannot beat the enjoyment of that sweet ear filling sound of analog. People really dont know what they're missing being so involved in the iTunes generation. I have a healthy library in iTunes but it no way compares to the enjoyment of that turntable! Its good to see the likes of vinyl returning in a big way. it'll never be what it was but at least it will live on as the only way to truly appreciate a bands efforts, other than hearing them live of course.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Same here!

Pure, pure joy.

I have hundreds of songs I've purchased on iTunes, however I just recently discovered Amazon's Auto Rip program. Now I am just getting into the vinyl scene. The deal is if you buy eligible vinyl or cds, they give you the digital version automatically.

Anywho, any recommendations on some good sound equipment a guy in his mid-twenties should start saving for?

darcyjames

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I guess that means 11 years ago I was using Napster...I can't imagine where the music industry would have gone without iTunes coming along when it did.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Pure, pure joy.

Well vinyl is nice if you have the space and proper equipment to enjoy it-you also need to take good care of your records because scratches are very bad. Otherwise digital has really improved overall and certainly beats cassette tapes and will eventually approach cds in quality.

Anyway, happy birthday itunes. Been a great way for me to reconnect with music.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Otherwise digital has really improved overall and certainly beats cassette tapes and will eventually approach cds in quality.

yeah, "eventually" someday my 24bit 48 Khz digital wav download of Autechre's latest album "Exai" (from bleep) will "approach cds in quality".... duh!!! :D

...nothing beats the mastering of vinyl, though - so if you want to stay away from the loudness wars with it's poorly mastered digital music: make your own files from your turntable, enjoy dynamic & untrashed music!

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
yeah, "eventually" someday my 24bit 48 Khz digital wav download of Autechre's latest album "Exai" (from bleep) will "approach cds in quality".... duh!!! :D

...nothing beats the mastering of vinyl, though - so if you want to stay away from the loudness wars with it's poorly mastered digital music: make your own files from your turntable, enjoy dynamic & untrashed music!

Oh nice find that! :D

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Pure, pure joy.

I'm waiting for some newbie teenager to vinyl getting all upset someday when their vinyl record gets scratched.'Replacements should be free' or contacting a lawyer about records being scratched so easily and looking for a class action lawsuit.

I can so see this in today's world where a small scratch you can hardly see on an iPhone gets people all worked up. The iPhone works fine with a scratch, but the record doesn't.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
10 years and they still can't get it right... I wonder if things will "just work" within the next 10 years. Here's to hopping they will someday soon come up with a better solution to managing the multiple-ids we have since right now their implementation is atrocious.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I guess that means 11 years ago I was using Napster...I can't imagine where the music industry would have gone without iTunes coming along when it did.

:apple: pretty much saved the Record companies from themselves.

Their greedy bundling of 11 mediocre songs with 1 hit was just a rip off.:mad:
iTunes offered, "Just buy the songs you really want."

The iPod and the iTunes software made getting the music convenient and honest.:cool:

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Maybe he "buys" his content from torrent sites.

Or maybe he is an international user who doesn't have a decent iTunes store.

Or maybe he uses Amazon

Or maybe he's smart enough to know that in the past decade music became so disposable that nothing is worth buying anymore

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Their greedy bundling of 11 mediocre songs with 1 hit was just a rip off.:mad:
iTunes offered, "Just buy the songs you really want."

God forbid the artists want their albums treated as a cohesive product and not like a "best of" album with little to no reasoning behind song ordering and flow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.