Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 4.32.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 4.32.51 PM.png
    373.1 KB · Views: 150

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
I just got a Goodyear ad on the MacRumors home page that obscured the page on my iPhone/Safari. At first I loaded the home page then a location usage warning pops up. Out of curiosity, I accept and then the Goodyear ad takes over the page. There's no way to close the ad without refreshing it. Frustrating to say the least.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This is becoming a very frequent thing across the web nowadays. They couldn't get you to click on flashy banner ads, so now they obscure the entire site with an ad. The worst are the ones that make it nearly impossible to find the "X".

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Mod note:

As per the forum rules under the section "Things not to do", #12, Don't discuss blocking ads on the site.

From the FAQ

What do I do about annoying ads?
MacRumors uses an advertising service that supplies ads from a pool. We do not select the specific ads shown or the specific advertisers who participate.

If you find a particular ad especially annoying (e.g., an ad that is oversized, obscures the page, moves around, or has sound), let us know by posting a screenshot in our Site and Forum Feedback forum and telling us the URL it links to. Using this information we can ask to have it removed from the ad pool.

If you find all ads annoying, remember that ads support the site and allow us to provide free news, rumors, and discussion, and that ads are suppressed for paid members. See How do I contribute to MacRumors.com? above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.