Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
I just received my 27" iMac and find that the screen is not quite level. Gutted. If I measure the right side, it is 76mm from the desk. If I measure the left side, it is 72mm.

Is this normal? What is yours? Can you rotate the screen slightly or should I send it back?

Thanks,

Jon

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I just received my 27" iMac and find that the screen is not quite level. Gutted. If I measure the right side, it is 76mm from the desk. If I measure the left side, it is 72mm.

Is this normal? What is yours? Can you rotate the screen slightly or should I send it back?

Thanks,

Jon

The stand can be adjusted, but I wouldn't do it on a new Mac...Take it in, and let a genius fix it for you..shouldn't take long..just call for an appointment.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
My "local" Mac store takes me an hour to get to. I ordered it online.

Do you know what they do to fix it?

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
I'm wondering if I should just contact Apple Care and ask them to collect the machine. I would be interested to hear from others here what measurements they get from the left and right side of their 27" iMac. I am not sure what are considered acceptable tolerances.

I haven't even switched my machine on yet or unpacked anything else.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm wondering if I should just contact Apple Care and ask them to collect the machine. I would be interested to hear from others here what measurements they get from the left and right side of their 27" iMac. I am not sure what are considered acceptable tolerances.

I haven't even switched my machine on yet or unpacked anything else.

I just checked my 27" perfectly level...`yes, send it back...`it will need a new stand and I would expect Apple to replace it with a new machine...Might take a week, but it's new and you couldn't live with it like that...It would drive me nuts.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Are they likely to repair it or give me a new one? Its a custom build one with fusion drive etc. I ask because if they are going to repair it, should I also switch it on and check for dead pixels etc?

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Actually, I realise I don't have Apple Care. I just bought the machine without any insurance or anything. Not sure if that makes any difference.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Sending it back. Another weeks wait. But, they are letting me keep the existing one until I get my new one.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
You may well be disappointed with the next one, too. My 2009 iMac wasn't quite level, and my 2012 isn't either. Just keep your expectations in line.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I thought mine was crooked when i got it also but it turns out the picture behind it was crooked and making it look off when it wasnt.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I'd say 3 - 4mm difference is perfectly acceptable. You won't notice it any way.

It's normal for not having a perfectly leveled iMac. Enjoy your machine, the down time and the chance of getting the worse iMac than you already have does not worth the swap.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I always wondered why they weren't more solid. Yours was probably perfectly fine but a small bump down the assembly line or during the boxing caused it to go crooked. I can tell just when tilting them on mine and ones in the Apple store they are all flimsy and feel cheap.

marfrie56

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
I would be very annoyed but the first thing I would have thought to do would be to shim up the lower side (like with a magazine or small stack of printer paper and make it level. Then I would turn it on and put it through it's paces. Then I would continue to be annoyed, looking at the shim, and then send it back. On second thought I would make an appointment, then put it in the box and drive the 1 hour to the apple store and get a new one. Then of course you'd have to drive the hour home again. I guess you can take it from there.

marfrie56

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
Mine is close but not perfect.
Now I think I might shim it.

Attachments

• iMacLevel.JPG
    iMacLevel.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 347

mishi8

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2013
My brand new, suped-up iMac was out by 1/4". It took over a month for a replacement to come in. That one was 1/16" out. I refused to take it, and the Apple Store was going to check with engineering. Heard two weeks later that it was within spec so I had the choice of taking the "new" one, keeping the "old" one or dealing with the Apple online store. Since dealing with the Apple online meant shpping my iMac back and waiting for a replacement, I unhappily chose to take the "new" iMac.

Less than a month later, it's now sagging more...it's now 1/8" out. I called Apple online and we're "working through" what options I have. I am pissed off that a brand new computer that cost me an arm and a leg is not up to standard and I'm hearing the terms "repair" bounced around. I don't want a repair, I want a replacement and don't want to be without a computer for more than a month.

Michelle

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited:

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Mine is 71.5mm on the left and 72mm on the right. Just ever so slightly out of level.

If there was a difference of 4-5mm I think I would notice and return it but something on the order of 1/16" of an inch? No way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.