Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Just wondering what keyboard you guys are using? I am currently using the one that came with the 2012 Mac Pro with the numeric keypad, and like it quite a bit. Before that, on the PC, I used the IBM Model M. They are on totally different ends of the spectrum, but they are both nice at the same time.

Edit: I also use a "standard" mouse for Windows, and a Magic TrackPad and Magic Mouse on occasion for OS X.

Last edited:

sash

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2004
I'm always using the standard one, which come along with the machine.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Full length Apple keyboard with numpad -- WIRED. I don't need to have batteries in something that sits on my desk 1 foot from my computer.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Using a full sized Aluminium Apple Keyboard on my Imac, Apple Bluetooth Keyboards on both Mac Mini's, and a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard on my PC. I also have the original small wired Aluminium Keyboard that came with my 2009 iMac.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Northgate Omnikey/102 I bought in 1989.
attachment.php

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I use the apple aluminum (wired) with numpad on the MP.

Many hate them for the lack of "haptics" or tactile feedback, but I honestly do not mind. For me, key spacing is more important - every time I use an unfamiliar keyboard (spacing and positioning), it takes me half an hour to get any meaningful typing done, and 2-5 days before I'm really rocking (which for someone who has as slow fingers as me is not that much to talk about).

The only keyboard I've ever really hated was the translucent plastic keyboard apple had before going Alu. That thing had an ability to get stuck - if the force stricking the key was not sufficiently aligned with the optimal movement of the key, it would not budge (had a wireless and a wired version, so it was not a specific device)

P.S. I hardly ever look at the keyboard, except when I'm using an iPad (such as right now). The iPad's a pain as I use multiple input languages with different layouts, and I have to stare at the keymap all the time (I'd love to have the ability to select a keyboard map which displays all the keys I need (mostly uk+umlauts), but be able to swap dictionary (not keymap)...

RGDS,

chevelleguy3

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2013
Mckinney, TX
I have several that I use the Apple Wireless keyboard on to save desk space when I don't need a 10-key. At work I use the Apple Wired keyboard with 10-key. I personally like the original Apple keyboards better than any aftermarket ones available.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Logitech G15. Logitech finally updated the software 4 days ago to work properly in OS 10.8, but the clock in the keyboard display has frozen every day since I updated. The only fix is to quit and restart Logitech's software. Note, I didn't originally buy this keyboard for gaming, but for the back lighted keys. When I use my Mac Pro at night there's really no reason to turn on a room light just to see the keyboard.

Lou

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
Northgate Omnikey/102 I bought in 1989.

Wow! I remember those. They were great! And obviously built well to still be functional.

My current mac keyboards are the Apple ones. I have the full size usb version as well as the smaller wireless one. Wireless is nice to have to minimize cord clutter if I am working with more than one computer.

Plus my nieces and nephews who weren't even born when that Northgate keyboard was built think that their uncle's is cooler for using a computer with wireless peripherals. :D

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010
Matias. It's loud as hell, but I love the feel/responsiveness.

When I touch her just...so....she dances.

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
I have 3 key boards that I rotate..

The Apple Bluetooth keyboard gets the most use

The Apple "pro" keyboard makes it's money when doing office type stuff.

The white Apple keyboard get love when I'm playing in Adobe

craig45

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
Full sized USB keyboard from Macally (iKey Slim). Have the keyboard from my long gone G3 iMac stored as a backup.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I use the Apple extended keyboard for my MP and a Dell chicklet-style, wireless keyboard with my PC. Like a many, I would love it if Apple would finally cave and make the extended keyboard wireless. I hate desktop clutter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.