Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Drafts, the note-taking app from Agile Tortoise, was updated to version 3.0 today. Drafts is a simple app with a clean interface that allows users to quickly jot down text, thoughts, ideas, and notes.

Once written, snippets of text can be sent as a text message or an email, posted to social networks, added to the calendar or reminders, copied to the clipboard, and saved to third party apps like Evernote and Clear.

Many users utilize Drafts as a one-stop app for all text input, and those power users will be pleased to hear that Drafts is now able organize notes into four tabs, allowing for both quick access notes, archives, and a view that includes all notes.

drafts.jpg
The new tabs can be used manually, with swipe gestures, or notes can be filed automatically after an action is taken. For example, if a crafted note is tweeted, Drafts can then automatically archive the note, hiding it out of site.

Drafts 3.0 also allows actions to be organized into four separate tabs and new actions have been added as well, including expanded support for Evernote. There's also a new extended keyboard and TextExpander support. Drafts has two separate versions for the iPad and the iPhone which are both available from the App Store. For full release notes, visit the Agile Tortoise website.

-Drafts for iPhone ($2.99) [Direct Link]
-Drafts for iPad ($3.99) [Direct Link]

Article Link: Drafts Updated to Version 3.0, Adding Deeper Organization and New Actions

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
"Drafts is a simple app..."

That's how they all start...

In reality it's the most convoluted app I've ever used. Why use this when I can post in the app I want to, to begin with.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
MacStories' review reminds me of another power user app, Launch Center Pro (which I own).

I am a developer and I like the potential of LCP but I honestly cannot bring myself to invest that much time and energy into getting all that much power of iOS app. I just want my iOS apps to look good and be as easy and joy to use at what I need them to do.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
MacStories' review reminds me of another power user app, Launch Center Pro (which I own).

I am a developer and I like the potential of LCP but I honestly cannot bring myself to invest that much time and energy into getting all that much power of iOS app. I just want my iOS apps to look good and be as easy and joy to use at what I need them to do.

Viticci is HEAVY into all the URL scheme stuff, so he spends a lot of time customizing these apps, chaining apps together, etc. It sounds interesting, but I'm with you - I don't want to put that much time into an iOS app. Perhaps I'm not treating iOS apps the same way I would their OS X counterparts, but I guess I'm still of the mindset that mobile apps should be easier and faster to master and use than standard desktop applications.

M

Mr.damien

Just by seeing how they poorly creatd those screenshots explanation, I can tell this app is not worthing it.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
There's also a very similar and free app called DraftPad: http://modelessdesign.com/draftpad/.

I've got DraftPad on my Dock on both my mini & iPad 4.

It's an excellent app, one of my most used all time favorites. Virtually the only free app of such high quality & usefulness. Its also 100% ad free.

Offering what's known as "assists" I can quickly & easily create any kind of text entry then send it to SMS, an email, or just about anything one can think of.

This is a very exceptional application. One where the developer delivers a bug free experience that's constantly being refined.

Drafts on the other hand is disjointed & cumbersome.

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
Drafts (and Launch Center Pro for that matter) is an awesome app once you realize what its capable of. Merely reading the description and/or reviews doesn't do it justice.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Drafts (and Launch Center Pro for that matter) is an awesome app once you realize what its capable of. Merely reading the description and/or reviews doesn't do it justice.

I have realized what it's capable of. And I deleted it.

mykem

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
I've been using Drafts for a few months now. I find that being able to keep my train of thought uninterrupted yet at the same time posting queries within the app and via a quick swipe and a single tap I'd get the answer is a total timesaver. Ditto to being able to promptly send notes to Evernote or Day One without even having to open those two apps.

My only complain prior to this update is how inefficient it is when I'm working on and accessing two or more notes at the same time. For this I find Daedalus Touch utilisation of stacks and sheets and its use of swipe gestures to be more intuitive. Not to mention the ingenious use if left/right screen tap to move the cursor (and let's not forget the seamless integration with Ulysses III). Still, I can't wait to try the new multiple tabs in Drafts- hopefully that would solve its previous issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.