Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced its 2013 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) this morning, with plans to put tickets up for sale tomorrow at 10am.

Tickets for WWDC can be hard to come by and sold out within two hours last year, but current students might be able to attend the conference through a WWDC 2013 Student Scholarship.

Apple has set aside 150 scholarships for full or part-time students aged 13 years or older. Students must be current members of the iOS Developer Program, iOS Developer University Program, iOS Developer Enterprise Program, or Mac Developer Program.

wwdcstudents.jpg
To win a scholarship, students must submit an application and create an app that demonstrates both creativity and strong coding abilities.
Use your creativity and coding skills to build an app that tells us about you. Your app should highlight development projects you've worked on, your educational and professional background, technical skills, and interests.
Scholarship applications must be submitted by Thursday, May 2, 2013 and will be judged on technical accomplishment, creativity, essay questions, and technical/work experience.

WWDC 2013 is set to take place from June 10-14 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. Tickets will go on sale tomorrow, April 25 at 10 a.m. PDT for $1599 each.

Article Link: Apple Offering 150 Free WWDC Tickets to Student Developers

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Seems like a good event to experience for young developers. Who knows what kind of innovation will come from one of those youngsters...

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
This is so awesome. Brilliant teens need their shot at glory even with broke parents. Broke college students too. I'm looking forward to their feedback after attending WWDC.

Last edited:

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Free product placement for TweetBot. Although I guess you wouldn't recognize it unless you already knew what it was.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Me want. I didn't read the comments, just jumped immediately. What are the qualifications?

NM, read it. Hmmm, tempting. :)

jobesucks

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
I can't for the life of me understand why the money grabbing b@@@@@@s charge an extortionate entry fee to start with

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I can't for the life of me understand why the money grabbing b@@@@@@s charge an extortionate entry fee to start with

Because its a conference mainly for developers and tech analysts. Its not open to the public and isn't intended to be publicly available. Apple set up tons of booths for developers to get help and tips with their coding and apps.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

It sold out in 2 hours last year which means they don't have enough space for all the developers who want to come.

And if it were free there would be a ton of Yahoos like you and me wandering in from off the street which would keep even MORE developers out. It's clearly a smart idea to prevent that.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Maybe one of these 13-year-olds can fix the missing album artwork on iDevices bug since Apple's paid staff devs obviously can't :mad:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The price is pretty low for a professional conference. Maybe you were thinking this was some sort of fan festival.

I attended the Tableau customer conference last year in San Diego and I believe it was around $2500.

jobesucks

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
The price is pretty low for a professional conference. Maybe you were thinking this was some sort of fan festival.

I fully understand its intended for devs and journalists, that doesn't mean they have to charge that much, by all means only allocate tickets to devs, just on a first come first served, pretty much as it is now without the extortionate charge

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
I fully understand its intended for devs and journalists, that doesn't mean they have to charge that much, by all means only allocate tickets to devs, just on a first come first served, pretty much as it is now without the extortionate charge

(Shrugs shoulders.)

It really isn't that pricey all things considered.

Getting there and back (plus food and hotel) will be nearly as much for some.

I had a small two day trip to a veterinary conference for a photoshoot just the other day and it was 2k without even trying. (Hell, I used a coupon for the buffet! LOL)

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Where? All I see is an iPod Touch with people sitting at a computer :confused:

It's distorted behind the iPod Touch.

----------

This is for serious developers and there is only so much space (sold out in 2 hours last year). Can you imagine how fast it would fill up if it was cheap??

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010

Have you ever been or planned a large conference before? For a well run one of this size, the costs are enormous, from cost of facilities, training, documentation, logistics, planning to name a few--all that costs money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.