Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
yeah i hear ya.

since you are using version 7 client, it's a little different than before (version 6).

first, you have to be in expert mode. then click configure, click slots, select smp and click edit. scroll to the bottom and click add under extra slots.

name: client-type
value: big/normal/small

i think this is correct. someone can correct me if i'm wrong
Well, I ran into problems with that entered... it finished a WU and then seemed unable to download a new WU... just stuck on 'downloading: 0%'. I looked in the log, and it said something about 'small' not a valid parameter or something like that. I'll keep looking for a solution.

I *did* find out how to change core use on the fly, though. After editing the core use, it will change by clicking 'Pause' and then 'Fold' again.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Well, I ran into problems with that entered... it finished a WU and then seemed unable to download a new WU... just stuck on 'downloading: 0%'. I looked in the log, and it said something about 'small' not a valid parameter or something like that. I'll keep looking for a solution.

I *did* find out how to change core use on the fly, though. After editing the core use, it will change by clicking 'Pause' and then 'Fold' again.

i guess 'small' isn't the right word. hopefully someone here can help with the correct word. though i'm not sure if you'd want to use that one anyways. normal should be what you want (i think)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
i guess 'small' isn't the right word. hopefully someone here can help with the correct word. though i'm not sure if you'd want to use that one anyways. normal should be what you want (i think)

If only? You can - it's called BitCoin ;) I am mining for that now - who is still folding here?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
If only? You can - it's called BitCoin ;) I am mining for that now - who is still folding here?

how's that working out for you? plenty of people here still folding. we are using our computers 'for the greater good', not helping ourselves in any way directly (in most cases). but good luck with bitcoin. why not just save your money and not buy any hardware? you'd probably come out better if you're looking to make money.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
how's that working out for you? plenty of people here still folding. we are using our computers 'for the greater good', not helping ourselves in any way directly (in most cases). but good luck with bitcoin. why not just save your money and not buy any hardware? you'd probably come out better if you're looking to make money.

It's going ok, I don't exactly have very powerful machines so it's a bit of a trade off.

i mostly run any folding off of computers at work anyway, not moral, but it's only in small doses.. :)

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Took me a month (oops, meant four months) of semi-regular use to get a million points in folding. I've been trying to figure out how to run BitCoin mining, but it certainly isn't as easy as just downloading an app and running it. I have to do more reading or something.

Last edited:

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Took me a month (oops, meant four months) of semi-regular use to get a million points in folding. I've been trying to figure out how to run BitCoin mining, but it certainly isn't as easy as just downloading an app and running it. I have to do more reading or something.

It does not worth it, unless you have a very powerful GPU / FPGA / ASIC.
Otherwise, your electricity costs would be higher than your earnings!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
congrats to sweetfeld28 on 8 million points!

congrats to 4JNA on 7 million points!

congrats to Snousa on 5 million points!

congrats to dubmasteroriginal on 3 million points!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Soon in the club of "self-made millionaire"

image.jpg

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
awesome! what are you using to track your stats?

Actually I'm abusing a system monitoring tool called zabbix; an open source system looking after my server and disk temperatures.
It's relative flexible and with a little help of some Python script reading via port 36330 from the FAHclient a number of data points and put them into the tool.

Based on those data the graphics are created with historical data.

image.jpg

It shows me for each system the ETA, PPD and credit estimate per CPU and GPU. Also via script I get from Stanford once per hour the full user statistics. Again some script prepare the data and put those into zabbix.

Last row, in the middle is my actual point graph: just passed 1m :D :D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Actually I'm abusing a system monitoring tool called zabbix; an open source system looking after my server and disk temperatures.
It's relative flexible and with a little help of some Python script reading via port 36330 from the FAHclient a number of data points and put them into the tool.

Based on those data the graphics are created with historical data.

View attachment 417637

It shows me for each system the ETA, PPD and credit estimate per CPU and GPU. Also via script I get from Stanford once per hour the full user statistics. Again some script prepare the data and put those into zabbix.

Last row, in the middle is my actual point graph: just passed 1m :D :D

cool!

Congrats on 1 million points!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.