Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Charity auction site CharityBuzz kicked off a charity auction for a cup of coffee with Tim Cook this morning and the listing, which has an estimated value of $50,000, went from $5,250 to $100,000 in a matter of hours.

bids.png
Here are our best guesses of the identities of the top contenders vying to win a coffee date with Cook:

owclarry - Larry O'Connor, the founder and CEO of Other World Computing, a company that provides computer upgrade products and services for Macs. "We would love the opportunity to sit down with Tim and maybe get some insights on where the future lies in his eyes," he told MacRumors.

rory.oneill3 (now charitybidder10) - Rory O'Neill, Vice President of Product & Channel Marketing at BlackBerry.

PasswordBox.com - PasswordBox is a secure password management app which is currently restricted to VIP members only and is available on a wait list basis. Its CEO and co-founder is Daniel Robichaud.

USocketUSBOutlet - U-Socket is an AC receptacle with two built-in USB ports, produced by FastMac, so this bidder is likely someone from the company.

stephen.gill.777 - Stephen Gill, an online marketing executive and co-founder of Leadnomics.

BGStucki - Brian Stucki, Owner of Macminicolo, a Mac Mini colocation service that stores users Mac minis in data centers for use as servers.

At the moment, Other World Computing founder Larry O'Connor, who has been actively bidding throughout the day has the winning bid. Prolific bidder O'Neill previously had the username rory.oneill3, which has now been changed to charitybidder10.

While we have confirmed that Stucki and O'Connor are the bidders behind their usernames, the remaining guesses are based on usernames that match up with known people in tech.

The auction, which ends on May 14, will allow two attendees to spend 30-60 minutes with Cook at Apple Headquarters in Cupertino. Proceeds will benefit the RFK Center for Justice & Human Rights.

Update: We have received an email alleging that the Rory O'Neill bidding in the auction is not affiliated with BlackBerry.

Update 2: The Charitybuzz website appears to utilize Facebook logins (thanks, Johan!) which means some usernames correlate to Facebook usernames. That suggests Rory O'Neill is not the same Rory O'Neill who works at BlackBerry. Bids have now reached $155k, with Sebastijian Bauman in the lead.

Article Link: Tim Cook Coffee Meeting Charity Auction Hits $100,000

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Doubt Steve would have ever done this considering how little he donated to charity.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
I hope OWC founder/CEO gets it to be honest.

OWC are a pretty decent source of Mac upgrades and knowledge and it might be of some benefit perhaps for them to sit down.

Though I'm getting increasingly scared that most of what Apple are making in the future will not be upgradeable. Thankfully the latest 27" iMac still is.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
This is so fascinating! Seeing all these company executives wanting to speak with the CEO of Apple. They probably want some business guidance or partnership.:p Interesting to see someone at Blackberry wanting to sit down with him.

Of course, the charity part of it all is great, too.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Doubt Steve would have ever done this considering how little he donated to charity.

I'm the last one to defend Jobs in any way...but do we have a public record of his private charitable donations, if any?

His public policies at Apple were not supportive of charitable giving, but I don't know about any private philanthropy.

Do you have that information??

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

OWC are a pretty decent source of Mac upgrades and knowledge and it might be of some benefit perhaps for them to sit down.

Though I'm getting increasingly scared that most of what Apple are making in the future will not be upgradeable. Thankfully the latest 27" iMac still is.

Yes it might be beneficial and for business reason for OWC CEO to "sit and have a cup of tea" with Tim.

But to your last point, I don't get it. The new 27" iMac is still upgradeable from what point? The only accessible component is RAM, that's not changing but still, the rests need brave souls or official ASP to make the surgery and upgrade. That's not by any means "upgradeable"

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Steve changed the world with his vision of computing giving even 3rd world countries the opportunities to own a smart phone. I think that's charity enough.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

How do you know he donated little to charity. Just because he wasn't public about it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
OWC doesn't just do upgrades, they do accessories. External optical drives, external hard drives, Thunderbolt enclosures, iPhone cases, etc.

But if they think that Tim is going to spill upcoming product announcements they will be very disappointed.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Now we see the truth why Rory O'Neill wanted to meet with him. He told me in the previous thread that he was just an Apple fan. And now he works for RIM?

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
I'm sure Larry O'Connor would have something to say about the quickly decreasing number of components of Apple products that can be user upgraded.

s!ke

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
I asked about the Rory Oneill and he said he is a member on the forums, but not the VP at RIM

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
OWC doesn't just do upgrades, they do accessories. External optical drives, external hard drives, Thunderbolt enclosures, iPhone cases, etc.

But if they think that Tim is going to spill upcoming product announcements they will be very disappointed.

How about their SSDs and memory?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yes it might be beneficial and for business reason for OWC CEO to "sit and have a cup of tea" with Tim.

But to your last point, I don't get it. The new 27" iMac is still upgradeable from what point? The only accessible component is RAM, that's not changing but still, the rests need brave souls or official ASP to make the surgery and upgrade. That's not by any means "upgradeable"

But the only user-upgradable component on the previous iMac was also the RAM. They haven't changed the upgradeability on the 27" in that regard. :confused:

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
BGStucki - Brian Stucki, Owner of Macminicolo, a Mac Mini colocation service that stores users Mac minis in data centers for use as servers.

I gave it a good run, but it quickly left my price range. (And I don't even drink coffee. I would have been satisfied with some OJ and a game of Letterpress.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Ok, does anyone else think it's odd that the charity is for justice and human rights when Apple gets a lot of it's stuff from China, who is one of the wort violators of Human Rights?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.