Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charlie Croker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
I run MPEG Streamclip on my Snow Leopard installation all the time. But a colleague has asked me to install the latest version v1.9.2 on his 2013 MBP Mountain Lion. It runs, but the timeline under the video is skewed on any video codec. The start/end point can be mid-way instead of at the start/end, and the pointer can't be placed accurately to move the video through the minutes and seconds. If you resize the window, the timebar moves around in an unstable fashion. Has anyone seen this behaviour and know how to fix it or avoid it? Thank you.

image.php

Nov 28, 2010
located
I have no such problems with either the latest MPEG Streamclip version or even the beta, but I also do not have ever seen the volume slider in MPEG Streamclip.
What is up with that?

MR2ss_2013_04_25_pB1_MSC.png

MR2ss_2013_04_25_pB2_MSC.png

Charlie Croker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
There is something unusual going on with the video transparency overlay perhaps. The codecs in the Quicktime folder are a mixture of Mountain Lion and some from Snow Leopard. I can't think if it is anything else. It is not my computer so it is tricky to do maintenance on it.

Nov 28, 2010
located
There is something unusual going on with the video transparency overlay perhaps. The codecs in the Quicktime folder are a mixture of Mountain Lion and some from Snow Leopard. I can't think if it is anything else. It is not my computer so it is tricky to do maintenance on it.

Can you post a screenshot of the QuickTime Components folder then?

It looks like this on my two week old install of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion using FCP X and Avid Media Composer 5:
MR2ss_2013_04_25_pB3_QuickTimeComponents.png

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... The codecs in the Quicktime folder are a mixture of Mountain Lion and some from Snow Leopard. I can't think if it is anything else. It is not my computer so it is tricky to do maintenance on it.
Codecs are not tied to the version of the OS. If you think that the issue is the currency of the installed codecs, then replace the versions of codecs with the most recent versions. See if that fixes the problem.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
From the looks of them, there is nothing wrong with the versions of your installed codecs.

boomhaueruk

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
I'm getting something similar. Retina 15" Macbook.

My timeline is all messed up and the window has a smaller window in it. Renders the program unusable.

image.php

If I take a screenshot the 'two windows' thing doesn't appear in it - is that telling?

Last edited:

Jtan

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
Same issue.

Anyone have a solution for this yet?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-11 at 10.07.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-11 at 10.07.56 PM.png
    462.3 KB · Views: 320

rgoble4

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
I'm seeing a similar issue with the 1.9.3b8 release on ML, but only on retina screens. I've managed to work around it by using one of those resolution switching apps to switch to non-HiDPI mode temporarily.

A bigger issue for me is Mavericks support. No idea if Squared5 will release another beta, but it no longer works for me on my 13" rMBP with the Mavericks GM.

I mainly use it for fast video trimming...are there other apps that could do the same thing? Squared5's recent update history is not encouraging...

Rob

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I've been having this problem with MPEG Streamclip since I got my retina MBP last year. This whole time I've continued using the application because it's so great, but it's extremely difficult to work with under these conditions. I'm subscribing to this thread hoping we do eventually find a solution.

rylandd

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
You could try to open it at low resolution, there is a check box in the info window in Finder.

This worked for me. 13" MBP Retina running Mavericks:

Before and After:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 10.38.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 10.38.41 AM.png
    534.4 KB · Views: 418
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 10.42.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 10.42.12 AM.png
    271.4 KB · Views: 368
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 10.41.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 10.41.49 AM.png
    269.5 KB · Views: 406
Reactions: kamipost

adresavlad

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2013
Black screen result

Hello there! I am writing you from Romania and I'm glad to have find this community!
I encounter a strange behavior of MPEG Streamclip on MBP Maveriks: every time I set IN and OUT points, or I Trim or Cut a file, the export .mov file has no image, meaning is black.
The eddited clip is an .avi shot with the car camera „Prestigio RoadRunner 511”.
Any suggestions?
Thank you!

MichaelMcCool

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
I am having this problem too.

I don't want to open a film in low resolution, I want its full-resolution to be displayed.

Does anyone have any solutions or know if Squared 5 will release an update soon?

Thanks.

haaktu

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2013
Thank you!

This worked for me. 13" MBP Retina running Mavericks:

Before and After:

Sir, I registered just to say THANK YOU for this trick.

For the search engines: How to fix MPEG Streamclip problem in MBP retina OSX Mavericks.

----------

I am having this problem too.

I don't want to open a film in low resolution, I want its full-resolution to be displayed.

Does anyone have any solutions or know if Squared 5 will release an update soon?

Thanks.

Sir, you might want to give another player a try. VLC perhaps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.