Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, we gave a brief preview of Delicious Monster's Delicious Library 3, a brand-new version of the company's popular cataloging app for OS X. The app is now available in the Mac App Store [Direct Link], and Ars Technica has a thorough overview of the new features.

delicious_library_3_1.jpg
Among the most immediately obvious changes for existing users of Delicious Library is its updated look, which includes the use of SceneKit to boost the realism, along with subtle animation that allows shelf items to constantly move to face the user's mouse cursor.
"We cranked up all the visuals and then cranked down every visual effect so it was something you didn't notice very much," [Delicious Monster CEO Wil] Shipley said. "This has all the graphics effects and polish of a game from a couple years ago. As far as I know, nobody else has used OpenGL in consumer products like this at all, much less the environment mapping and other stuff like that."
Other enhancements include a new stats pane to give users quick overviews of their collections, as well as a completely revamped recommendation engine.
"This isn't about what I own, it's about getting my personality in the computer," Shipley said. "Now, if you scan your whole DVD collection, it provides a bunch of recommendations based on the aggregate of that information. Then if you rate them all, it'll refine the recommendations."
delicious_library_3_2.jpg
Finally, Delicious Monster has released a free companion iOS app, Delicious Scanner [Direct Link], that will pair with the user's Mac over Wi-Fi and allow his or her iOS device to serve as a mobile barcode scanner.

Delicious Library 3 is available now in the Mac App Store for $24.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Delicious Library 3' Launches With New Look, Revamped Recommendations, and Mobile Scanner App

aooga12

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
I'm not really sure what this is? Can someone summarize what this app does and is good for? :confused:

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
So looks like because of the veto power Amazon holds, there still isn't and won't be an iOS version of Delicious Library. All we get is a no doubt extremely useful scanner app. Bruji's PocketPedia along with its Mac based DVDPedia/BookPedia/etc. remains the only game in town, but they had to drop Amazon support to be able to do it.

The feature in Delicious Library 3 that excites me the most is integration with Amazon reselling -- my mom does it, and this program should be a god-sent for her.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Nice of them to drop the DL2 to $9.99. I have DL2, love it, but since I purchased it I moved to all digital for everything that I had in it; thus I really don't need it anymore. Nice app though.

benedetti

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
So no upgrade for DL2 users even if they bought it like a month ago.
Anyway, original app looks way better then this one. As someone said,"they never really recovered from Mike Matas departure many years ago". And from the blog posts it seems that it's "3 people company", so expect many, many bugs just like with ver.2

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
So no upgrade for DL2 users even if they bought it like one month ago.
Anyway, original app looks way better then this one. As someone said,"they never really recovered from Mike Matas departure many years ago". And from the blog posts it seems that it's "3 people company".

I bought it in March, I sent an email expressing my disappointment. I realize it may be a significant update, and perhaps they dropped the price to $24.99, they also dropped ver. 2 to $9.99. Perhaps allowing users with a valid ver. 2 purchase a $9.99 upgrade price would be better suited. Either way, don't need it, not buying it.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
According to their website, since the Mac App Store doesn't allow upgrade pricing, they decided to cut the price from $35 to $25 for everyone.

How nice of them, aren't they sweet?

Nothing to stop them from having a non app store version upgrade, is there?

TuneUpMedia does it.

I am loving this new age of subscription pricing.

M

Mr.damien

$24? No upgrade pricing.

I think we should give you some "upgrade wage". We only pay you the first month fully, then you only get an "upgrade wage" like only 50% of your salary until the end of your job.

Seems fair to me, after the first month, you are not new anymore and you are doing always the same work. So your employer shouldn't pay you more as it sounds like an upgrade work month and not revolutionary work month.

:cool:

----------

Nice of them to drop the DL2 to $9.99. I have DL2, love it, but since I purchased it I moved to all digital for everything that I had in it; thus I really don't need it anymore. Nice app though.

While I am trying to do the same (works great for audio and videos), you just can't do it yet totally for books.

A lot of books are not available as ebooks, when they are, a lot of them has DRMs with it and is attached to seller solution. Moreover, ebooks are still not very good for complex layout like used in design books, drawings, etc ...

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
You all should try either the iCollect set of apps or search "Sort It Apps" on the App Store. Much better than Delicious Library by far!

----------

Here is a link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/sort-it!-apps/id476462002?uo=4

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I've previously used DL to catalogue my (somewhat insane) games library across many different formats. Having them searchable by things like no of players etc makes it pretty handy.

It's also a very efficient way of keeping an inventory for insurance purposes.

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
I don't see it in the article so I thought I'd mention it in the comments here. You can also download it straight from their site and purchase it through them instead of the MAS. They make a bit more money that way, and it also means you get earlier access to new releases. It's at Delicious-Monster.com

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Same here. Anyone care to give some clarification?

I think it's purpose is to help us realize that we have SO much junk that we need an app just to remember it all. It's pretty sad knowing that there's a whole market dedicated to apps that just tell you what stuff you have and suggest what you need more of.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I think it's purpose is to help us realize that we have SO much junk that we need an app just to remember it all. It's pretty sad knowing that there's a whole market dedicated to apps that just tell you what stuff you have and suggest what you need more of.

Haha, yeah, it's quite crazy…

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
All I want to know is...

All I want to know is, can you turn the "recommendation" crap off?

I'd pay $50 for a version that included a *full iOS app* and none of the "recommendation" crap...

Sigh.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
So still no iOs App where I can check to see if I already own the title when not at my computer? Ugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.