Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

owensfg2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
What do I need to upgrade to make my games lag free and play on decent visual settings?

Macbook Pro 15inch mid 2010 model
2.4 GHz i5
4GB Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB

owensfg2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
Thanks for the reply!

Well before my battery died(haven't replaced it yet), it was running great with little to no lag. I figured once I replaced the battery, I would upgrade my RAM and buy an external harddrive and unload all my pictures, videos, and music on to that.

You guys are saying that wouldn't work?

Oh and I forgot to mention, I'm low on cash. Would what I stated, help the cause at all? Cheapest route?!

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What OS are you running? Apple doesn't update graphics drivers on older OSes, so if you don't have 10.8.3, I would get that. Upgrading the RAM will not cause the game to run faster, unless you are playing it with lots of apps in the background. Buying an external hard drive won't do anything.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I play both of those games on my 2010 iMac with a 2.7 i7, 8gb of ram and 512mb ATI graphics card and it runs fine. You might need to turn down some of the in game settings on a 256mb graphics.

However to put it mildly I think its time for a update if you have the cash or want to make the change, otherwise the PS4 will be getting Diablo 3 so there's another option you might like to try.

Andrew*Debbie

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2010
North Wales, United Kingdom
Well before my battery died(haven't replaced it yet), it was running great

Save your cash. Something changed. Possibly you lost some settings when the battery died.

Check the system Preferences. Engergy Saver and Display.

There may be some bit of hardware that needs a reset too. I'm not up to speed on your exact computer but many of the mac laptops have independent power controllers that may need a hard reset after the battery dies.

If those are fine, check the settings inside D3.

rotopenguin

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
No setting changed when the battery died, the thing that changed is that you no longer have a battery. All laptops now come with a power supply that is a little too small to run CPU and GPU at full speed, so they need to borrow power from the battery while gaming. My system can burn off about 10% an hour during intense gaming.

I imagine that moment-to-moment power consumption can vary a bit depending on whether the CPU and GPU hit a strait-away on code optimization. To guarantee that a batteryless system never goes into a deficit, it must assume the worst case, and underclock to where it still has a little surplus no matter what.

On your 2010 it's probably worth replacing the battery still. I'm a bit disappointed (and worried for my 2012) that yours is trash already, how much were you working on/off of wall power?

owensfg2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
Save your cash. Something changed. Possibly you lost some settings when the battery died.

Check the system Preferences. Engergy Saver and Display.

There may be some bit of hardware that needs a reset too. I'm not up to speed on your exact computer but many of the mac laptops have independent power controllers that may need a hard reset after the battery dies.

If those are fine, check the settings inside D3.
Exactly what I was thinking because before the battery went out, it ran seamlessly.
No setting changed when the battery died, the thing that changed is that you no longer have a battery. All laptops now come with a power supply that is a little too small to run CPU and GPU at full speed, so they need to borrow power from the battery while gaming. My system can burn off about 10% an hour during intense gaming.

I imagine that moment-to-moment power consumption can vary a bit depending on whether the CPU and GPU hit a strait-away on code optimization. To guarantee that a batteryless system never goes into a deficit, it must assume the worst case, and underclock to where it still has a little surplus no matter what.

On your 2010 it's probably worth replacing the battery still. I'm a bit disappointed (and worried for my 2012) that yours is trash already, how much were you working on/off of wall power?

Good information. The battery is literally shot. It has to be plugged into the wall for the computer to work. "No batteries available"

----------

BTW do you guys have any suggestions on where to get a good battery? for cheap?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Exactly what I was thinking because before the battery went out, it ran seamlessly.

Good information. The battery is literally shot. It has to be plugged into the wall for the computer to work. "No batteries available"

----------

BTW do you guys have any suggestions on where to get a good battery? for cheap?

That really shouldn't happen on a three year old machine. Do you have an Apple Store nearby? Although you are out of warranty you might get lucky. There's also a chance it's the connection to the battery and not the battery itself that's the issue.

I wouldn't recommend buying a cheap aftermarket battery if you don't want to run the risk of completely hosing your laptop. Also, installing them isn't trivial. Best let Apple take care of it.

mindust

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Your laptop is being throttled down due to no battery

The CPU is throttled to run half speed if you don't have a battery when you plugged into the wall. Get a new battery replacement.

rotopenguin

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
I wouldn't recommend buying a cheap aftermarket battery if you don't want to run the risk of completely hosing your laptop. Also, installing them isn't trivial. Best let Apple take care of it.

It's better than that, there's a modest chance of a fake battery hosing your home down, with fire.

In About This Mac.., click on System Report, and go to the Power heading. OP, please post the Battery section, there's probably more than one fact there worth rolling up and smacking a Genius's nose with.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
Installing the battery is trivial, just go to ifixit.com and look for the guide. It shouldnt take you more than 10 mins.

lmedinas

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
fyi i played both D3 and S2 on my macbook pro 13" with intel hd 4000 fine on medium/low settings. The only complain is the heating but...

I think you won't have a big problem to play that games in terms of graphics.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Both those games play fine on the 8600m 512MB in my early 2008 MBP, i would have thought they would run ok on newer cards :eek:

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 are one of the best running games on my 17" mid-2010 Macbook Pro. Even on high settings, both games run @ steady 30+ fps, at all times.

Blizzard knows...:D

jamesbarns

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
Cedar Hills, Utah
As people have already said, I would just get a new computer. If I were you, since you said you are low on cash, just go ahead and build your own PC. For $1000 if you get the right components, you will be able to run ANYTHING on Highest settings lag free! Just my recommendation.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
His problem is CPU working at 1/2 speed without battery, but Geforce8600 is faster than 330m anyway

No, the 8600m is slightly faster than the 320m. the GT330M is ~ 30% faster than the 8600m.
The problem is the CPU which you point out is throttled.
Starcraft 2 is one of the games that actually needs lots of CPU power.

I had a both 2010MBP and a 2008 MBP for a short period of time, and played SC2, and the 2010 was almost 50% faster due to both better GPU and CPU.

Here is a benchmark between 9600M, 320M and GT330M:
http://barefeats.com/mbpp25.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.