Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waiting for iPad Mini (Retina) or gave in to first gen?

• I was sold. Got first gen.

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • Not worth the price, yet. I'll stick to my 9.7" iPad. Waiting for Retina mini

Votes: 64 57.1%

• Total voters

dokkey

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
I am waiting! I want one so bad, almost bought one the other day.. Hard to resist.

MandyAW92

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
I've found myself waiting for the new mini but i don't know if i would get rid of my new iPad 4 for it

kemperman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
UK
I bought my missus the mini as I have an iPad 2 I will probably get a 9.7 iPad 5 when it comes out

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Yes and no. I have an increasing feeling that it will be a very long wait, as in iPad mini going the same way as the regular one:
- increased memory and speed in rev. 2
- retina display in rev. 3
- hardware to handle retina display well in rev. 4

passey

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013
As am I but I have the iPad 3.

Are you considering keeping your ipad 4 or selling it once the new mini comes out?

i would sell the 4 tbh but only if the mini has a retina screen and at least the A6X processor.

The 4 is just a bit too big and heavy really.

Wifes got a mini atm and I like it.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I have an iPad 2 and find myself using it more and more now than I did then when I bought it two years ago. I purchased a mini for my sister for Christmas and absolutely love it. I will definitely by the mini 2 when it finally debuts (and sell my MacBook/keep my iMac).

vhrocks

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Coming from an ipad 1, I was waiting for the retina mini, But while on vacation, I went to best buy to pick up a car charger for my iphone, I decided to browse the ipad display.. they had an open box mini 16gb Verizon model marked down to 405.00, I bargained with the manager and walked out with the mini for 389.. I absolutely love the mini ipad.. for me its the perfect device, light and speedy. the screen size is just right, and the display seems to be an improvement over the ipad 1..

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I will sell my 4 and get a Mini 2 if it includes retina and the price of cellular model is not increased.

Macuser1066

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
I have the ipad 4 and the Mini. I don't miss the retinal display as much as finding the websites fonts a bit difficult to read. I will probably buy the iPad 5 and sell the iPad 3 that my husband inherited. He will get my 4 and my great niece will inherit the Mini. I like both for different uses and reasons.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I had an iPad 3 and bought a Mini to compliment...after 2 weeks didn't use the iPad 3 as much so Sold it on Craigslist effectively covering the cost of the Mini. I don't mind the lower res screen, but plan on complimenting my Mini with a Retina iPad 5 or maybe trading in for a Retina Mini 2.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
i dont know whats with people complaining the ipad is heavy... i think its perfect.
the only thing i dont like with the ipad 4 is the smart cover design (the aluminium spine rubbing on aluminium!

and the fact that it only has 1 gb of ram...websites dont cache!

fiction2040

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
i dont know whats with people complaining the ipad is heavy... i think its perfect.
the only thing i dont like with the ipad 4 is the smart cover design (the aluminium spine rubbing on aluminium!

and the fact that it only has 1 gb of ram...websites dont cache!

I finally held the iPad 4 the other day and it wasn't heavy at all. I suppose if you are trying to hold it from a bottom corner with one hand, it could become rather heavy over time.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I am certainly waiting for the iPad mini.
Got an iPad 3 for the wife with a heavy but beautiful Portenzo case that also adds a lot of bulk. She uses it for everything - fb, email, reading, typing, etc.

I'm waiting for an iPad mini that will almost 90% be for eReading (but not only on Kindle, else I would already own a Paperwhite). But after the iPhone 5, there is no way I'm going back to the pixel density of my 3GS. It just looks terrible everytime I use it.

So I am waiting for the retina mini. However, the rumors coming out are that the iPad 5 will be much smaller and lighter than the 3 and 4. If that's so, and the differences between it and the Retina mini are not so big, I might get that instead

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
I tried the mini when it first came out but wasn't overly impressed at the price so returned it and got the Kindle Fire HD. A nice 7" tablet but nowhere near as smooh and fluid as the mini alhough I prefer the screen and sound.

When the retina mini comes out I will most likely get it and sell the Kindle. Must admit I see more people using a Kindle than a mini. In fact, I have never seen anyone using a mini outside of an Apple store!

I love my iPad 2 but will change to the next version if it has the mini form factor and is lighter and more powerful as expected. Tried the 3 and the 4 but both were too chunky for my liking.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I've posted elsewhere that I'll be first in line for a retina mini, but I agree with Gruber's analysis of the recent results call — the margin in the mini is the lowest of any iOS device Apple sell, and they're unlikely to retina-fy it until the cost of retina screens comes down (cf. the much anticipated, but yet to appear, retina MacBook Air).

I also suspect the battery tech isn't quite there yet for retina in the mini form factor.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I've posted elsewhere that I'll be first in line for a retina mini, but I agree with Gruber's analysis of the recent results call — the margin in the mini is the lowest of any iOS device Apple sell, and they're unlikely to retina-fy it until the cost of retina screens comes down (cf. the much anticipated, but yet to appear, retina MacBook Air).

I also suspect the battery tech isn't quite there yet for retina in the mini form factor.

This was already pretty obvious. Too bad it's a feature made a bit trivial by the branding even though it isn't. People expect it.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
Got my sis the mini for Christmas. I have a 2. Can't wait (but will) for the ipad mini 2. Retina and a6x or a7 hopefully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.