Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twitter.jpg
Twitter has updated its OS X client, nearly two years since the last update. The new client gains support for the Retina display and fourteen more languages, as well as a new way to post photos.
- Photos: It's easier than ever to share photos. Simply click the camera icon in the lower-left corner of the Tweet compose box, and choose a photo to share. If you prefer, you can still drag and drop photos from the desktop.

- Retina display support: Now Twitter is even more vibrant and detailed on the highest resolution Mac notebooks. With this update, Tweets will be clearer and sharper, creating a more vivid experience.

- 14 more languages: In addition to English, Twitter for Mac now supports Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, and Turkish.

Along with these updates, Twitter for Mac offers keyboard shortcuts, support for multiple accounts and timelines, and other features that you've come to love.
Twitter also claims that more improvements are coming to the OS X client in the future. It was reported last fall that Twitter had decided to discontinue its Mac client, but with this update and a tweet from Twitter engineer Ben Sandofsky saying he was working on Twitter for Mac full time, it appears that Twitter has decided to resume development of the app.

The company recently announced that it was ending support for its TweetDeck for iPhone and Android apps in May.

Twitter for Mac is a free download from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter for Mac Updated With Retina Support and More

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
It only took them almost a year... :p

But I'm also echoing other surprises about this release. I would've been less surprised by it suddenly being cancelled. It's hard to decipher the internal Twitter politics...

----------

What about notifications in the Notification Center?
Hey hey... One feature a year. Let's not rush things!

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
//begin conspiracy theory

In the same way you see promoted tweets in your iOS client, I'd imagine we'll soon see it in the desktop client. The impetus, imaginably, behind killing off the desktop client was that they wanted the ad revenue (etc.) from users visiting their web client. But now that they've proved promoted tweets are a viable source of income through a pseudo-test run in their mobile clients, we're starting to see active development.

//end conspiracy theory

flowsy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2009
Germany
Doesn't even show retweets from other users. No conversation view, no syncing. I'll stick with tweetbot.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Don't get me wrong, I use the iOS app--but can someone tell me what's wrong with the website on a desktop? What I'd really like for either case is the ability to sync to the last-read position in my "feed" of tweets across any device or viewer.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
They only killed TweetDeck for iOS, not for OS X. It has been their recommended desktop application for a while now

They killed it for Air, iPhone, and Android. In addition to killing about 75% of the features when they first bought it. It use to be updated almost weekly and now we're lucky to see a small update every 6 months.

Matrixfan

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2008
When I click on the icon there is a menu first and from there can I go see my feed. Am I the only one who finds this awkward? IMHO this is major change for the worse. I can't invoke my feed with a single click. Why would I always want to have the feed window open?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.