Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the introduction of the new 'Decade of iTunes' milestone feature that debuted yesterday to celebrate iTunes' 10th anniversary, Apple has sent out a hard copy of the timeline to journalists, reports CNET.

itunesanniversaryswag.jpg
The paper version of the timeline comes with a gift card that features 100 free handpicked iTunes songs, along with a personal thank you note from senior VP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue.
When Apple introduced the iTunes Store on April 28, 2003, we thought if consumers had a great, legal way to download music they would embrace it - did they ever. Apple was floored, as were the labels, when customers bought over 1 million songs during the first week. And now, 10 years later, we continue to be amazed by how much customers love the iTunes Store, with more than 25 billion songs sold.

Apple loves music and strives to provide customers with the most innovative features and services on iTunes. We are all very proud of having such an incredible selection of legendary musicians on the iTunes Store and take great pride in exposing music fans to new and emerging artists.

We've put together a compilation of 100 songs that represents milestones throughout the history of iTunes and shows just how far we've come. I'd like to thank our customers, label partners, and artists for being part of such an incredible decade.
-Eddy Cue
Apple's digital 10th anniversary iTunes celebration features a timeline of events that covers the ten-year history of the iTunes Store, beginning in 2003, plus a list of the top-selling songs for each year of the decade.

Article Link: Apple Sends Press 'Decade of iTunes' Anniversary Keepsake with 100 Free Songs

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Some of us own all these songs anyway... But wow, what a freebie!

EDIT: We always get cool singles of the weeks freebies. You guys should really check them out, they've been going on for YEARS. The current one by Frank Turner is his latest single, so I was really pleased to get that one completely free as it was on my to buy list. All his albums are great.

Last edited:

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
Members of the press didn't support this venture, we, the customers, did.

(They did but not like we did).

boccabella

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2010
Are there really news organizations that allow their reporters to accept gifts from companies they cover? Wow, that is completely inappropriate.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Hint, hint???

Is this kind of a 'hint, hint' to daft producers of video media everywhere? I guess to be fair, the music producers kind of went in kicking and screaming as well.

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
Members of the press didn't support this venture, we, the customers, did.

(They did but not like we did).
Not that I expect anything free, but I do agree.
I've been buying all my music legally from iTunes since day one.

Like I said, I don't expect handouts but I am confused why journalists are getting this.
Free press I guess.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't understand the hatred in here. It's a promotional item. Do you know how much promotional stuff gets passed around, especially to the press? A LOT. A majority of record labels throw albums to these people all the time, there's probably multiple copies of albums/singles just floating around in someone's drawers too.

Please don't say that Apple isn't good to us. Like I said, they give us free singles every week. They also had the free song of the day in 2004 when the new version of iTunes launched. They partner with so many magazines and companies to give out free playlists and songs too. And the best thing about it is that it isn't even some horrible indie stuff like most places give out. They're actually from pretty mainstream acts.

The whole point of giving these away to the press was to promote the success of digital music and iTunes. Sure, it was a pretty expensive freebie that was probably worth $200 a piece, but again, if you have been a iTunes user for as long as its existed, you've probably bought most of what was included. Heck, some of the stuff was given out for free in that 2004 promotion too.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
This is a great way to commemorate the success of iTunes over the last decade. As iTunes fades away and it's rivals take over.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Did someone say boycott iTunes?

Fine, but only because Spotify is better anyways.

(Don't forget to keep buying apps and supporting your local indies, guys!)

chocolaterabbit

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008

If you're telling people to support indies, shouldn't you be telling people to buy from iTunes instead of boycotting them? After all, Spotify pay out almost nothing to indie artists.

Ltd

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2003
Huh?

"...a list of the top-selling songs for each decade."

Shouldn't it ready "...a list of the top-selling songs for each year of the last decade."?

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

If you're telling people to support indies, shouldn't you be telling people to buy from iTunes instead of boycotting them? After all, Spotify pay out almost nothing to indie artists.
Absolutely. Plus needing a connection to play your music sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.